Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Which airport are you flying into?
    Milwaukee (MKE).

Registered
    Feb 2000

Segway Dealer in Wisconsin

Gliding for cheeseheads. I know you're out there.

http://www.segwayexperience.net/

Registered
    Oct 2001

Quote of the Day

AUGUST 12, 2003 -- "I think of the Segway like a Jeopardy question. What is the question to which Segway is the answer? Unless you are elderly or have limited mobility, why wouldn't you use a bike?"

--Herman Leonard, a Harvard professor of public management, courtesy Carson Stanwood of Stanwood and Partners

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicyc...ent_id=1954075

Registered
    Aug 2001

it wa bound to happen

The Smoking Gun is reporting the first Grand Theft Segway

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: it wa bound to happen

Originally posted by Chet
    The Smoking Gun is reporting the first Grand Theft Segway
    Actually, this SG article was reporting the second theft. From the article:

This is the second reported Segway theft to come to TSG's attention this year. In April, Robert Ballantine's scooter was stolen from outside the 62-year-old's home in Kent, Washington. The perp in that scooter swiping remains at large.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I stand corrected.

But cut me some slack - the first words of the article are "In a law enforcement first...."

Registered
    Feb 2000

Big News

The latest word on the street is that Brookstone stores (275) nationwide will be carrying Segways before December and some locations will provide demonstrations. Segways have not been available to the general public since the middle of March 2003. So we're little over 6 months into this experiment.

Like I've said all along, give it 5 to 10 years and we may be looking at major changes in the way we allocation Right-of-Way space. Call me crazy, but I think planners need to open their eyes and consider the possibilities. Some developers have referred to Segway's as "disruptive technology". Good !!!! Anything to break the business as usual status quo of autodependent development patterns. Disrupt away.

Is Chet the only other Cyburbian to take it for a brief spin?

Registered
    May 2003
    I would like to see "small vehicle lanes" where one freeway lane can be divided into two (or two can be divided into three) for two or three wheel motorcycles. It seems pretty wasteful for every lane on a freeway to be Hummer width. I suppose that would be a good way to get a Segway lane on city streets.

Of course, I'm waiting for Honda to put out a 150 horsepower Segway.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Check out today's comic strip
    Mother Goose & Grimm

A Postman on a Segway!

Is this a sign of acceptance or recognition?
    Last edited by JNA; 18 Oct 2003 at 9:18 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2003

New p-series

I have not even seen one in the Phoneix area yet. I saw that they have a newer more "portable" friendly version = lighter and smaller. Seems to maintain close to same speed and range, but not as many surfaces can be traveled. So I guess paved only. I would love to try one out. Though not green, the gas scooters that have become popular witht he kids, are more portable, less safe, and only 1/10 the cost. Hope they catch on as the price comes down.

Registered
    Feb 2003

How to render the Segway Human Transporter obsolete:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=s...it_needs_to_be

Note: this is just for sharing (it is funny), not really the way I feel.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2000

Just an FYI

FYI: Rentals, Dealers and Brookstone stores nationwide. Segway's retail outlets are starting to take form.

http://www.segway.com/shop/

Department of Defense fuel-cell Segway.

http://www.fuelcelltoday.com/FuelCel...Segway1103.pdf

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just went to update my auto insurance and saw that the company is now offering Segway insurance.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Hmmm place here in Scottsdale rents! There is a huge big box farm out that way, maybe I'll rent one and go shopping at the boxes.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    US govt. examing use of Segways in battle

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In USA Today, Dec 2,2003, pg 20-A
    Pentagon explores turning scooters into robots
    By Michael P. Regan, Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...soldiers_x.htm
    Oddball

Registered
    Oct 2001
    http://www.segway-industries.com/ Somthing is very wrong here? Where did the peace ride go?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    (from dictionary.com)
    se·gue ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sgw, sgw)
    intr.v. se·gued, se·gue·ing, se·gues
    Music. To make a transition directly from one section or theme to another.
    To move smoothly and unhesitatingly from one state, condition, situation, or element to another: “Daylight segued into dusk” (Susan Dworski).

It seems that even the designer knows that the segway is just a beginning. Thats why its called the segway, as in segue, from one mode of transportation to another. When it comes down to it, there doesn't seem to be too much added benefits to this device. I have never ridden on one so I cannot truly be sure of this fact, but that is just the way it seems. This is not to belittle the genre of personal human transport devices, I think they are really cool, and a great direction for future transportation. This product is just a beginning. It really is a pretty cool device, but so far, a bike seems more efficient. I think it would still rock to ride one or to have one. When I first heard of the segway, I thought that it was not powered at all, as in it never needed to be charged. Now that would have been something. Maybe I have just been a little disappointed by that fact, but really how would they do that anyway? it would have to be like a perpetual motion machine.

anyway, check out this cool site human powered vehicle.
    http://www.springwalker.com/

I found a list of all sorts of alternative vehicles, but I have not been able to find this site today. I have however, found another interesting site with all sorts of resources about human powered vehicles and other alternative forms of transport:
    http://www.humboldt1.com/~mhp/mylinks.htm

this is a mildly funny site too:
    http://web.0sil8.com/episodes/megway/home.html

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by Cullen
    It seems that even the designer knows that the segway is just a beginning. Thats why its called the segway, as in segue, from one mode of transportation to another. When it comes down to it, there doesn't seem to be too much added benefits to this device. I have never ridden on one so I cannot truly be sure of this fact, but that is just the way it seems.
    Cullen:

I like honest and thoughtful skepticism, which you expressed with a qualifying phrase. I've owned a Segway for 8 months and have logged an estimated 1200 miles and given probably 600 demonstration rides. I currently live in a historic city of 6,800 people, which has a maximum distance across of 2.5 miles. I can go back and forth across the city at least twice in all directions before running the battery down.

I can safely say that the control one has on a Segway far exceeds anything you can get on any other personal transportation device. This is something you can only experience with time. Question: If you want to get somewhere 5 miles away without being a sweat ball when you get there how do you travel. Answer: By car. Here's some quick math.

Segway

8 cents of electricity for 10 miles (conservative estimate) = 0.8 cents per mile.

Car

$1.50 per gallon for 25 miles (in-town) = 6 cents per mile.

Segway

I-167 model weighs 83 lbs.

Car

Weights a hell of a lot

Segway

Can be used in-door and out-door (another segue aspect, a smooth seamless transition from in-door to out-door travel)

Car

Park it (takes up alot of value land area for temporary car storage, what a waste of land, especially in downtown areas)

Segway

Take it with you on trains, planes, boats, cars, etc. (I've done all of these except the boat thing).

Car

Only multi-modal is used on ferries

I don't want to go on. All of the comparisons are all over. A $4,500 Segway purchase coupled with a wise choice in housing/job distance will save me thousands of dollars a year. After the new year, when I move to my new residence, my car will only be used for out-of-town travel. I'll save on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc... I'm even considering getting rid of my car and renting a wreck on occassions when I need to leave town. I'm sure I can find someone who will let me take their second car for a day trip for twenty bucks.

It won't work for everyone and the technology used in the Segway will find more applications, some of which we are already seeing. How long did it take for the horseless carriage to become widespread?

I wish more people would bike, but let's face it. Bicycles are recreational vehicles for the most part. While gliding on a Segway is extremely fun, it is not a recreational vehicle. Lot's of people say, "Oh that's a neat toy." My reply, "No, it's a transporation device." Then I explain it's capabilities, limitations and how I use it and people begin to understand and get excited about it. I haven't met anyone yet who simply said, "I don't want one."

I can talk about this topic for hours. Everyone knows my opinion and I think I'm qualified due to glide time to know what the hell i'm talking about. Just wear gloves in the winter, the wind chill at 12.5 mph on exposed hands can become a little uncomfortable, but I'm not the kind of wuss who has to heat up the car before getting in.

Shall I continue .... blah, blah, blah, blah .

Registered
    Oct 2003
    There is a Segway store in the mall here. Took the test drive over the busy holiday shopping weekend, as a break. Very cool. I could make my commute on it. Would have taken one home if the money was in the account.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Belated Christmas Greetings -
    seen in USA Weekend magazine
    http://www.usaweekend.com/wit/031221wit_wisdom.html

reindeer w/ shades on Segway's pulling Santa sleigh
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Sorry for posting a link, but the transit facility multi-mode angle should be of general interest.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ghtechscooters

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Not all officers can use it because of the 250lb weight limit? Hmm maybe those officers need the excercise anyways, but i guess officers do have to have 20lbs of gear on too.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by ludes98
    Not all officers can use it because of the 250lb weight limit?
    The 250 lb thing is a guideline to minimize wear on the motors. Hell, Shaq rides one.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Missing Segway thread ???
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 12:40 PM
  2. First run in with a Segway...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 15 Sep 2003, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 28