Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Segway thread

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Another ride toward recognition --
    Shown in today's October 2, 2004 Blondie Cartoon
    being ridden by the mailman.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Segway specific dealerships expanded to 60.

http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_...pr_090704.html

Dealerships now offer different financing options. They are also starting to produce components that were previously outsourced as prototypes. The Lithium batteries, which will increase the range to 40 miles per charge (4x the current range), are expected to be released in early spring of 2005. Once the new batteries have been released and road tested, we may see an increase in speed.

I've had mine for a year and a half and have had no maintenance costs. My battery range has decreased slightly. Only one wipe out, the circumstances of which I will not devulge, because it was major operator stupidity. I tried to pull an X-games move.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Another ride toward recognition --
    Shown in today's October 2, 2004 Blondie Cartoon
    being ridden by the mailman.
    Mr. Beasley (the USPS guy in Blondie) was shown test driving one on his route in the strip a couple of years ago, too.

I can easily imagine future Blondie gags with Dagwood charging out the door of his house on his morning rush to work, colliding with Beasley and ending up on the Segway when the dust and letters clear.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Seattle will be home as of 2/15/05, woohoo.
    Pardon my velocentricity but really, why buy a Segway over a bicycle? Maybe I've got too much energy and not enough money, but I prefer to ride and actually work up a little sweat and not pollute.

p.s. I'm still new here so be gentle....

bN.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by bikenerrd
    Pardon my velocentricity but really, why buy a Segway over a bicycle? Maybe I've got too much energy and not enough money, but I prefer to ride and actually work up a little sweat and not pollute.

bN.
    I don't own a Segway. I do own a rusting bicycle that has not been ridden a single time since it was bought 3 1/2 years ago, thanks to a lengthy health crisis. I may never ride again, thanks to scar tissue in my lungs and other issues. For some folks, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Count your blessings.

Registered
    Aug 2001

bN.
    Count me among those who was very skeptical when the Segway was introduced. While I still do not believe we are ever going to design our cities around them, I do see how they can be useful in many situations. As you say, you work up a sweat when riding a bike. That is not acceptable when you are heading out to a business meeting. I live in a city where it is often not practical to drive to many destinations, where parking is difficult, and transit is not always convenient. Often, I walk. That can take time, which I often do not have. I could easily see myself with a Segway in the office (a city Segway pool, maybe?) and using it to glide off to meetings instead.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    why buy a Segway over a bicycle?
    To be honest, until you've ridden one and done your grocery shopping on one, I really can't describe it sufficiently. The sweat factor is one thing. Segways do not have brakes, but stops by having motors that can go in both directions. When you slam on the brakes of a bike you loose a large degree of control. Segways have a zero turn radius and can be perfectly still. This allows for a manueverability that does not exist with any other vehicle (except maybe a unicycle). The vehicle has a top speed of 12.5 mph, which makes it much safer going downhill. Also, when you go downhill you recharge the battery since the machine is fighting gravity to maintain a constant speed (regenerative braking). Standing upright you are in a much better position to see hazards as opposed to be slumped over the handlebars. Zero maintenance, no chains falling off, infrequent flat tires, no barrings, pedels, neck or other moving parts.

There are more reasons which I won't go into.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Chicks dig Segways!

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Still not buying it. the argument that is. I do see the value in the technology though. I know they have used similar gyros etc to make wheel chairs that actually pop up to a "normal" standing height. Of course rigging up a couple chains and sprockets on a wheel chair may be interesting too...

I have counter arguments abound. I'd still like to try out a Segway just for the experience, but if I had 5k I'd buy one of these of these.

I stash clean clothes at work, keep short hair, and have a nice room to change/clean up in. I NEVER smell . I arrive feeling as invigorated and positive as one can be when arriving to work. :-S. Plus the feelings of shadenfreude when I look at all the people getting stressed out in their metal boxes are worth it. Life circumstances dictate that I drive most of the time though so I totally empathize.

What about mopeds or scooters? I'd ride one of those. I'm a librarian-so the added nerdiness effect would be nil.

Chick also dig great legs. (ps. no leg shaving here...)

bN

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I stash clean clothes at work, keep short hair, and have a nice room to change/clean up in.
    It depends on the nature of your work. If all you do is ride to and from work, fine. In my case, I have meetings scheduled throughout the day in different locations throughout the city. I can't really clean up at somebody else's office. Often, the meetings are too closely scheduled to walk, and it may be too far anyway. Sure, a scooter could be another option. It just isn't as cool.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Four Wheels? http://www.segway.com/centaur/

Skeptical I am. I can't see this as posessing any more utility than the HT, though maybe it is fun.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Skeptical I am. I can't see this as posessing any more utility than the HT, though maybe it is fun.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Did you watch the video? The suspension looks smooth. It goes 20 mph and runs on rechargable batteries and can transition from 4-wheel to 2-wheel use. It's interesting to see some of the ideas the dynamic stabilization platform has produced. Have you seen the robot built on a Segway platform. The implications on robotic mobility is very interesting, especially if they use the three wheel system that they used for the Ibot wheelchair. All of these things, except the HT are prototypes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    To be honest, until you've ridden one and done your grocery shopping on one, I really can't describe it sufficiently. The sweat factor is one thing. Segways do not have brakes, but stops by having motors that can go in both directions. When you slam on the brakes of a bike you loose a large degree of control. Segways have a zero turn radius and can be perfectly still. This allows for a manueverability that does not exist with any other vehicle (except maybe a unicycle). The vehicle has a top speed of 12.5 mph, which makes it much safer going downhill. Also, when you go downhill you recharge the battery since the machine is fighting gravity to maintain a constant speed (regenerative braking). Standing upright you are in a much better position to see hazards as opposed to be slumped over the handlebars. Zero maintenance, no chains falling off, infrequent flat tires, no barrings, pedels, neck or other moving parts.

All good reasons but ultimately the Segway is not an excuse to wear spandex like a bike is!

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, that Centaur is pretty cool. I'd like to try one of those.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sam's Law Warning

Seen in the Holiday Gift Guide 2004 from Sam's Club
    print version on page 24 (full page).

and on their website at: http://samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopp...880106&fid=P23
    Oddball

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Sam's Law Warning

Seen in the Holiday Gift Guide 2004 from Sam's Club
    print version on page 24 (full page).
    $2500 instead of $4000 is pretty deep discount. Too bad it is the p and not the i.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Made Government Product News, Dec. 2004, with a picture (front cover) and article.
    Oddball

Okay, linear motors are cool, and gyroscopes are cool, too. The suggestions of using that technology for robot mobility sounds interesting, although it is not obvious why two wheels would be more useful than four wheels in most contexts. The idea of using the Segway as a mobility option for the semi-invalid is fine, too. But for an able-bodied person to use it as a substitute for a bicycle sounds a bit crazy to me. A Segway cruises at 12.5 miles per hour, max. A normal cruising speed on a bike is between 17 and 22 miles per hour, depending on your level of fitness (much higher for superathletes). If you ride a bike at 12.5 miles per hour, you will use less energy than walking (unless the gradients are quite steep), and you will not work up a sweat on a journey of a couple of miles. If the only reason you would choose a Segway is to avoid working up a sweat, I would suggest buying a cheap bike, riding it gently, and saving a few thousand dollars. Or walk.

Come to think of it, electric bikes are a lot cheaper, so even if you're a semi-invalid (is that a non-PC term? probably, oh well), the Segway is still just a cool toy, rather than the most practical option.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 20 Dec 2004 at 8:23 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody watch the Jan. 4, 2005 episode of the Travel Channel's - John Ratzenberger's Made in America ?

Show webite: http://travel.discovery.com/fansites...ds/segway.html
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Segway and Electric Bike Rental stations in Lille, France seek to provide ground transportation option at rail station.

http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_...pr_120304.html
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Off the AP Wire:

Segway Rolling Out Three New Models
    March 2, 2005, 9:53 PM EST

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

BEDFORD, N.H. -- Segway LLC is rolling out three new models of its self-balancing, two-wheeled machines.

A rack transforms one version into a single-person golf cart, and wide tires outfit another for off-road riding. The final model looks more like previous versions, but comes in sportier colors like red and yellow.

Each new Segway also features better batteries for longer ranges. They can travel twice as far, up to 24 miles in some cases.

But suggested retail prices aren't coming down. Each one costs at least $5,000 with the new batteries.

Analysts have been skeptical about the company's future, arguing that prices must drop sharply for Segways to be mass-market successes. The machines were unveiled in December 2001. A September 2003 recall revealed only about 6,000 had sold.

Company officials claimed U.S. sales doubled last year in a 10-week period staring on Oct. 25, but the privately held company doesn't release financial figures.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thwack! Whir!... Whir? Segway Polo Is Born

Headline and Article from the NY Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/tr.../01segway.html
    site requires registration.

Hightlight:
    "If the Segway has yet to transform urban living, it has at least altered recreational sport, if only slightly. It is fitting that it has happened in the Silicon Valley, a region renowned for finding innovative uses for technology.".
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Saw the first Segway here in Peoria today. It was interesting in that I got to see responsiveness of the device as the genetlemen using it was moving around 6-8 mphs and abruptly stopped to avoid colliding with a walking individual. He then went on to open a couple doors shimmy around some obsticles and continue on his amazingly quiet journey.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Here's what I was talking about 2 years ago and a concept which I've discussed with a developer in San Diego and a developer in Seattle. In urban areas, why not offer Segways with condominium and other high density urban housing projects. Stop wasting urban land with parking..... I own one of the original (no upgrades) i167 series , one of the first 3,000 units made. The p-series is smaller, lighter and with the new batteries has a range of over 30 miles (versus mine with the origina NiH batteries with a range of 12 miles).

One Tallahasee developer has it figured out. See HERE !!!

Keep in mind, it's a marathon and not a sprint.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Missing Segway thread ???
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 12:40 PM
  2. First run in with a Segway...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 15 Sep 2003, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 28