Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking Regs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2003

Parking Regs

I'm being told by one of our current planners that he feels are parking regs are overly restrictive for industrial uses. We currently require 1 parking space per 300 square feet of gross floor area. Can some folks on here tell me what is required in your jurisdictions?

=Bob

Registered
    Sep 2001
    ours reads as follows

assembly plant/processing plant or manufacturing plant = 1 per 3 employees or 1 per 93 square metres (about 1000 square feet), whichever is the greater.

warehousing areas = 1 per 232 square metres (2500 square feet)

when calculating we exclude hallways, common areas, stairwells, closets and bathrooms.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    VERY excessive. Gross floor area of an industrial use is huge. How 'bout .75 per employee?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Offhand, I think we require 1 space per 90sq. metres (900 odd sq. ft.)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Our zoning calls for 1 per 1200 sf for warehouse, 1 per 600 for manufacturing/industrial use.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mike D observed
    VERY excessive. Gross floor area of an industrial use is huge. How 'bout .75 per employee?

Never having had to interpret this section for real use, I think when we do it we look at total employees, it then works out well for shifts. Please realize that we only have a few industrial operations and all have non conforming status.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

1 stall for every 3 employees; number of employees shall be construed to mean maximum number on the premises at one time.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    1 space/500ft of square floor area; 1/200 ft of square office space; 1 loading space/25,000 square feet gross floor area.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    IMHO it makes no sense at all to use floor area for manufacturing or warehouses for that matter. Number of employees is the way to go. New manufacturing plants have very few workers. These plants are getting more and more automated, thus less and less people.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're in a suburban setting with no public transit and no pedestrian infrastrucure. Access is afforded really only by car. We require 1 stall per employee + a variable fractional amount for shift changes and visitor parking.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by giff57
    IMHO it makes no sense at all to use floor area for manufacturing or warehouses for that matter. Number of employees is the way to go. New manufacturing plants have very few workers. These plants are getting more and more automated, thus less and less people.
    That's why we have this little nugget in our ordinance:

All parking spaces shall comply with the design standards of Table 2 and its associated parking layout unless otherwise approved by the Planning Board.
    a. The Planning Board may allow a reduction in the number of parking spaces actually constructed as long as an area is clearly shown as “reserved for future parking” and a note on the plan indicates a prohibition on any structural improvement in that area. Each plan will be reviewed on individual need.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 1999
    1 space per every 1000 s.f. gross floor area, 1 space per 200 s.f office space (if 10% or more of gross floor area, otherwise ignore), and 1 space for every 2 employees on the largest shift. It's never enough. If they meet this minimum, they have pickups all over the adjacent rights-of-ways.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. All Things Regs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jan 2012, 4:52 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 1:55 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Jul 2007, 4:46 PM
  4. Parking office parking regs
    Land Use and Zoning