Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Today is a day that will live in infamy in Toledo, Ohio

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...3180094&Ref=AR

One of two things that Toledo could boast about until now: No Wal-Mart and no Starbucks. Now only one is true.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It couldn't happen to a nicer city.

My experience in Toledo is limited to a one night stay in a rancid Super 8 off of I-90 in January 1992. There were people talking in an alley outside my ground floor room window all night. I think I slept a total of 30 minutes.

That experience only reinforced my connection of Toledo with the infamous John Denver song lyrics. (Words & Music by Randy Sparkes, actually.)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    One of two things that Toledo could boast about until now: No Wal-Mart and no Starbucks. Now only one is true.
    Wow ... no Wal-Mart stores until now? Looks like you're not missing out ... that's the basic Wal-Mart store, with no architectural embellishments, no landscaping in the parking lot. Awful design, and I'm sure the folks in Toledo are glad to have it. "Any development is good" ... sad to see that depression-era thinking is still around.

A while ago, there was a thread about chains as an indicator of sorts. Chains aren't necessarily negative; the presence of certain chain retailers and restaurants can be seen as a sign of the desirability of a metro area or neighborhood. Consider that in Buffalo, upscale restaurant chains (Morton's, Cheesecake Factory, Houston's, P.F. Changs, Macaroni Grill, etc) and many upscale retailers (Restoration Hardware, Sharper Image, etc) have no market presence. Starbucks saturated metro Orlando, but there were no outlets in the western 'burbs, despite a plethora of big rooftops; West Orange is home to a middle/upper middle income Confederate crowd, and Travis and Betty don't drink no damn espresso.

No Wal-Mart, though? How could Wal-Mart miss an entire metropolitan area ... in the midwest, even? Any other large, high-profile chains that don't have a presence in Toledo?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Was there a KMart in Toledo before bankruptcy? How about Target or any of the others?

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998

Re: Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Originally posted by Dan

A while ago, there was a thread about chains as an indicator of sorts. Chains aren't necessarily negative; the presence of certain chain retailers and restaurants can be seen as a sign of the desirability of a metro area or neighborhood. Consider that in Buffalo, upscale restaurant chains (P.F. Changs) have no market presence.
    And all this time, I thought P.F. Chang's was a local restaurant. Dang!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Yeah, but there are at least a couple Meijer stores. They are just as big as a Super WalMart, and have the same effect on local businesses.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    ugh. my condolences. Although, I will say this about Walmart - two years ago one of my coworker's house burned to the ground. Walmart had them come in and go on a mini-shopping spree to tide them over until the insurance money came in. I thought that was pretty cool.

Re: Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Originally posted by Bullwinkle

Yeah, but there are at least a couple Meijer stores. They are just as big as a Super WalMart, and have the same effect on local businesses.
    True, but Meijer will never come close to the level of economic and environmental terrorism that Wal-Mart has perpetrated on a such worldwide scale. Meijer has negatively affected some businesses but Wal-Mart has destroyed the local economies of entire towns.

And so far no Meijer's have been abandoned for a "Super Meijer" being built two blocks away.

i]Originally posted by Dan [/i]
    Wow ... no Wal-Mart stores until now? Looks like you're not missing out ... that's the basic Wal-Mart store, with no architectural embellishments, no landscaping in the parking lot. Awful design, and I'm sure the folks in Toledo are glad to have it. "Any development is good" ... sad to see that depression-era thinking is still around....

No Wal-Mart, though? How could Wal-Mart miss an entire metropolitan area ... in the midwest, even? Any other large, high-profile chains that don't have a presence in Toledo?
    I would submit that we were the largest Metropolitan area without a Sprawl-Mart in the nation, until now. It was fun while it lasted. I believe the closest one was about 25 miles away.

Originally posted by Mike D.
    Was there a KMart in Toledo before bankruptcy? How about Target or any of the others?
    All of the K-Mart's in Toledo have so far survived bankruptcy, I believe. We have about 3 or 4 Targets.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New from Toledo
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Nov 2011, 11:18 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Apr 2008, 7:06 PM
  3. Star-Gazing In Toledo, Ohio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 12:19 PM