Urban planning community

Poll results: Would you stay home and watch the Sweet 16 or go to a City appreciation dinner?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skip the boring dinner and support the home teams!

9 64.29%
  • Go to the boring dinner, basketball isn't that important

3 21.43%
  • A different solution, which I will explain below

2 14.29%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: NCAA or City Appreciation Dinner?

NCAA or City Appreciation Dinner?

I have a big dilema this Thursday night. Two Wisconsin teams, the Wisconsin Badgers and the Marquette Warriors, are in the Sweet 16 and play Thursday night. However, I have a City appreciation dinner on Thursday night and I am guaranteed to miss the entire Badger game and the start of the Marquette game. I am considering skipping the dinner. What would you do?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    skip em both and go enjoy time with friends and family
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Can't stand appreciation dinners. Yawn ...

Then again, I can't stand basketball. Brackets? Yawn ...

I'd go to Borders myself.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    skip em both and go enjoy time with friends and family
    What if I watch the game with friends and family?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    go spend "quality time" with the wife if you get my drift

it will pay off much more than any game
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I do not have a wife. My girlfriend is a big time Badger fan and she isn't too happy about missing the game to go to my crappy City dinner.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ahh well then i think a date to watch the game is in order

Registered
    Aug 2001

Skip them!

You spend 40+ hours a week with those bores! Get out and have some fun. You see those folks every weekday, how often do you see two of our home town teams in the 16?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    go to the game with your girlfriend then take her out for an appreciation dinner-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Check to see if there is a bar at the place the dinner is being held, I bet that if there is, most people will be there watching the TV.

This happened at our dinner 2-3 years ago when the Leafs were on TV.

The other question one has to ask - Is it an open bar?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Originally posted by donk
    The other question one has to ask - Is it an open bar?
    Haaaaahaaahaaa haaah haaaaaaa *rolling on the floor laughing*

I wish! You don't even get 1 free drink..

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I know that was a silly thing to ask after I posted it, but it is always a consideration.

The last one I went to was open bar for about an hour before dinner then really cheap drinks after dinner.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Get the free dinner. Leave early to watch the second half. After all, it is the Badgers last game of the season. Then in the next round you can watch Marquette lose to KY as well.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Unless you're receiving the citizen or employee of the year award....WATCH THE GAME!! :p
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    Can't stand appreciation dinners. Yawn ...

Then again, I can't stand basketball. Brackets? Yawn ...

I'd go to Borders myself.
    You are planner. Nobody appreciates anything you do. Join me and Dan at Borders.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I always skip the appreciation dinners... a big yawner in my book.

But I don't like basketball either.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Don't piss off the girlfriend!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Don't piss off the girlfriend!
    WORDS TO LIVE BY!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    appreciation dinner? i have no clue what this is. but i still say skip it. the only off the clock stuff we ever have is Party fundraisers, which actually are a lot of fun. they have a big cocktail party in march, and a picnic in september. both with free drinks. just be sure to buy your ticket with a check, not cash, so they've got your name down that you're a supporter.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2010, 9:03 PM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 1:08 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Mar 2004, 9:36 PM
  4. Dinner Guests
    Friday Afternoon Club