Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: HOAs

Registered
    Jul 2002

HOAs

Has ANYONE had a good experience with a Home Owners' Association?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well only the one i was on the board of-we managed to get the builders last permit held till he cleaned up some...problems and cleaned out the storm water pond.

though i dont think that would have happened had i not been on the board and knew the right folks to call to get the job done.

HOAs seem to be more of a problem than anything else
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Everyone at my work (except me) is part of one, and they all seem to like it. What did you want to know?

Registered
    Jul 2002

HOAs

I don't belong to a HOA but I keep hearing horror stories. Either they're too powerful and run like a little kingdom, they don't want to assess for major repairs such as private streets or they don't pay their taxes on open space and it is sold at sheriff's auction to a developer.

There is one law suit I've read about where landowners are suing saying that since the HOA is being run like a little government then it should have the responsibilities such as open records etc.

Registered
    Aug 2002

Re: HOAs

Originally posted by Tom R
    I don't belong to a HOA but I keep hearing horror stories. Either they're too powerful and run like a little kingdom, they don't want to assess for major repairs such as private streets or they don't pay their taxes on open space and it is sold at sheriff's auction to a developer.
    Developers often assign open space to a HOA to take care of it. In my experience, though, the HOA never really gets off the ground and the "open space" becomes a vacant lot where people dump their trash. We'd be a lot better off if the developer just donated the property to an organization committed to open space preservation, like a land conservancy..

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am "president" of our HOA (for a nine-townhouse development). It IS difficult to get enough HOA dues. We are well behind on deferred maintenance, and it will take a long time to catch up.

And, I am not the most aggressive person to lead an HOA. Hopefully, now that we have new owners (who have purchased at the peak of the local market, poor souls), we'll get some new energy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Feb 2008, 9:46 AM
  2. DSS dishes and HOAs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Sep 2002, 1:19 PM