Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: How smart are you?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10. There is no one in the world smarter than I.

1 2.44%
  • 9. I am as smart or smarter than most Nobel Prize winners.

0 0%
  • 8. I am as smart as a Rhodes Scholar and consider myself a mental powerhouse.

3 7.32%
  • 7. I am considered to be among the smartest people in my field.

4 9.76%
  • 6. I am very smart and I feel mentally superior to most other people I meet.

15 36.59%
  • 5. I am smarter than the average bear and I can follow a game of Jeopardy.

14 34.15%
  • 4. I am somewhat smart. I am about average.

2 4.88%
  • 3. I get most jokes I hear and I enjoy network television.

1 2.44%
  • 2. I am very challenged by the Wheel of Fortune.

0 0%
  • 1. I have Velcro ties on my shoes and my name is on my shirt.

0 0%
  • 0. “Flowers are pretty.” – Ralph Wiggam

1 2.44%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How smart are you?

Registered
    Oct 2001

How smart are you?

Take the poll.

Be Honest

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I feel somewhere in the 5-7 range although depending on the day it could be even less. Age definately is playing a part. Things that I needed to remember before are just fine written down somewhere I can find them.
    The words of wisdom that got me through college were "as I look around the room do I really see anyone that is that much smarter than I am" invariably the answer was no.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm somewhere in the 5 -7 range, too. Some circumstances I won't go into didn't encourage me to work to my potential, though.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I voted somewhat smart, but I do feel mentally superior to most of the people that I run into in the course of a day, but that is not hard where I live.

In my planning district about 30-35% of the population has not/did not graduate from HS. If you are not talking about fixin' motors, killing animals or cuttin wood they will give you a blank stare. There is little appreciation for the arts or history.

When i visit other places and speak to other people then I realize that I am about normal or maybe slightly less then normal. But it could just be I am out of practice dealing with people.

Here is a link to the data

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/prof...Division&ID=40
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I would say I'm smarter than the average bear (hell, how smart could a bear be?) in my own little realm of things. There are many things I'm still learning and want to learn, many things I know nothing of and wish it to stay that way, and some hard lessons I'm sure to come across
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm the smartest one here so far! Woo hoo! In your face, dummies! (does his victory dance, followed by the Lambeau Leap)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    OK Smarty Pants....

I voted 6. Working for a City, I feel smarter than most people that come in here. Afterall, none of them seem able to read and understand a zoning ordinance.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say I'm about 6.... I think I'm smarter in some areas (specially arts, literature and science) than my peers

Registered
    Aug 2001

A solid six

Especially after the night at the bowling alley on Friday, Jeeesus it was like a white trash convention rolled into town.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
    - William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I voted "5" overall.

The problem with questions like this is that there are so many different kinds of "intelligent." I love to write arguments, am a bit of a bookwork, feel I have a pretty good appreciation of architecture and "the arts," and enjoy political arguments and discussions (except when I get too carried away ). So, on that, I would say a "seven."

But give me a set of tools to do my own car work, a stack of lumber to do my own home repairs, etc-and I freeze up. No patience, no common sense, clumsy, etc. Even though as a confirmed nerd I would have denied it when I was the "last one chosen" for team sports , I think athletics is another kind of "intelligence." And, people skills, don't forget people skills.

So, its a complicated question.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: A solid six

Originally posted by bturk
    A solid six
    Too bad, dude. The ladies must be disappointed that you don't have a, um... 'bigger head.'

You knew it had to go there. Just reaching for that lowest common denominator.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ten!

I am an intellectual weapon of mass destruction!

I am a biological smart bomb!

Don't get amBushed by my superior intellect!

...uhhh...

Okay, I really don't know how smart I am, but I voted "10" anyway, just for giggles.

I love tv and get most jokes.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    What was the question?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    A solid 5, and a 6 depending upon where I am. When I was in Anderson, I felt like a genius, but then, the 1990 census showed a 40% highschool dropout population. And when I visit my parents in rural upstate NY, I really have to watch myself in terms of intellectual superiority. I get so frustrated with Rob's family for their snobbery, but then catch myself doing it to.

But back on topic: since taking this job, in a wealthy albany suburb, i'm back to feeling just normal. lots of doctors and lawyers and techno geeks here.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well untill i moved here i felt like a 6 no problem, but DC is a brain power house (just ignore the starving brain suckers up on cap hill) i do feel dumb sitting in traffic with all the Harvard and Yale stickers around on other cars.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Ten!

Originally posted by Beaner
    ...but I voted "10" anyway, just for giggles.
    Not giggling.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm an intellectual whore.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I agree with BKM. I'm always amazed that other people actually know how to actually do things, while I interpret subdivision regs for a living and say "sprawl is bad."

When it comes to street smarts I'm a 10. I can smell a pig from a mile away, suckers.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    But give me a set of tools to do my own car work, a stack of lumber to do my own home repairs, etc-and I freeze up.
    The theory I have been taught on these items is to ask yourself, are you as "smart" or "able to learn" to do it as the person you are going to hire? if you answer yes then you can figure out how to do it yourself. Using this approach, I have replumbed my house, can do most minor repairs on my car, can do minor wiring, carpentry and drywalling (not so good at the drywall). I've also taught myself quite a few computer programs, well enought to get by with them.

I've also had a few good teachers on "how to figure things out".

It then becomes a choice if you get someone else to do it not a trapped feeling.

There are very few things I won't tackle, if I have the time and can sit and think what would the rationale method to undertake this task be.

People skills on the other hand can be a little wonky, can't sit and think things through fast enough.

Maybe I should change my answer from a 4 to a 5 or 6.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2001
    The bulk of society makes my head bleed, and life is their "showcase for ignorance."

I post and read cyburbia for the simple fact that this is a gathering of intelligence. You post-ers are very bright, and I look forward to reading the differing opinions of intelligent people.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Rationally, donk, you may be right. I still believe that people have a "knack" for different things. One might be "smarter" than a "good mechanic," but their innate knack, when combined with a career of experience (and a garage full of expensive tools and equipment) means that I would still rather trust the blue collar mechanic than buy a manual and try to fix my car myself.

However, a lot of it is a combination of fear, laziness, clumsiness, and impatience. So "intelligence" is only part of it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Prudence: Do you live on the set of The Jerry Springer show?

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 9:12 AM
  2. Smart Car in the US?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Mar 2006, 12:19 PM
  3. How smart are you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20