Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Celebration in the Streets - NYS is now Non-Smoking!

Registered
    Oct 2000

Celebration in the Streets - NYS is now Non-Smoking!

Woo! SGB and I have cause for celebration!

Starting July 24, all NYS workplaces are smoke free. Sorry Smokers. But i'm really happy about this.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yipee!!!!

[I thought my boss was sulking this morning. Now I know why!]

amen

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've had it for years and it's great. I remember my first job I shared a cube farm with smokers. It was wretched.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wow, I thought that was the norm these days. It is nice to go out and not come home with smoke stench-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I ride my bike all over town -much of the time I'm near a tail pipe pumping exhaust into my lungs. Sometimes I get cigarette smoke and it is so much worse than any exhaust I have ever inhailed. so wretched and you can smell it from a mile away.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I loved it when I lived in CA. No smoking in any of the bars....

Nowadays, most places I go to, most people don't smoke anyway. It seems that people are finally waking up to the nastiness of it.

I went to a bar a couple weeks ago with some friends, and it was the first time I'd been around cigarette smoke in a LONG time. I was laid out the rest of the weekend because of it. It felt like a hangover, and I didn't even drink.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Mike D.

I went to a bar a couple weeks ago with some friends, and it was the first time I'd been around cigarette smoke in a LONG time. I was laid out the rest of the weekend because of it. It felt like a hangover, and I didn't even drink.
    There was some opposition to the bill, with people making comparisons to outlawing McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts or alcohol, but I just think that's so crappy. None of these other "vices" really create a problem for people standing in the same room as people who are eating a cheeseburger or drinking a vodka tonic. They arent' outlawing cigarettes - just protecting the 90% of the population that wants to enjoy being out in public without coming home smelling like the inside of an ashtray and black lungs. sigh.

but who cares about them. they lose, non-smokers win. woo hoo!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mike D. observed
    It felt like a hangover, and I didn't even drink.
    I think that half the hangover feeling is actually carbon monoxide poisoning. When i drink I don't feel to bad the next day, but when I drink in a smokey bar I feel rotten the next day, all things being equal.

On teh job front, I think my office was the last public/government building that allowed smoking in Canada. We went no smoking about 2 years ago. The contractors loved coming to our office and many would hang out smoking and drinking coffee with the inspectors
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    We've had smokefree workplaces here for a few years. Now they're looking at making pubs and clubs smokefree too, so that the bartenders also get a smokefree workplace. I think the legislation is currently being debated in parliament now. Don't know how well it will work - some people are saying it will lead to the establishment of illegal smoking dens where smokers can go to smoke and drink.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Polite Rant - IMHO

I agree that smoking is a nasty, dirty habit, and that work places should be smokefree - I've never been in an office where smoking was allowed. However, I still have a personal problem with this being legislated, especially in privately owned bars and resturaunts such as in CA and NYC. Perhaps its one of my libertarian tendancies showing here, and I don't consider myself a conservative, but it seems to me that the best way to get away from second hand smoke is to not work-in or patronize those places that allow smoking and let the owner know why. If enough people demand non-smoking establishments then the market will resolve the situation without the need of government involvement.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I read in the paper today that my home state, Maine, will become the 5th state to ban smoking in bars, etc (all workplaces).

I sense a growing momentum here and hope these bans will sweep the country - but of course it will take time and some states will, inevitably, hold-out. So far, it's just the Al Gore states that are for it - CA, NY, CT, DE and Maine. I think Massachusetts will pass it before the end of the year. We already have one in Boston and I love coming home from a night-out not smelling like an ashtray.

How soon do you see your state becoming smokefree?

     
    Registered
    May 2003

Re: Polite Rant - IMHO

Originally posted by biscuit
    I but it seems to me that the best way to get away from second hand smoke is to not work-in or patronize those places that allow smoking and let the owner know why.
    Why should I have to be restricted by people who are doing something that is killing them? If I want a job, I am going to go for that job- the only resolution to your comment would be to have a "smoking only" architecture firm, bank, school or restaurant. People that smoke are the minority. It's a disgusting trashy habit that should be illegal. That's like saying "you're going to be sexually harassed if you work here, so unless you want dirty old men groping you, go find another place to work". Sorry dude, the world doesn't work that way.

Re: Re: Polite Rant - IMHO

Originally posted by Jessie-J
    It's a disgusting trashy habit that should be illegal. That's like saying "you're going to be sexually harassed if you work here, so unless you want dirty old men groping you, go find another place to work". Sorry dude, the world doesn't work that way.
    For years people have worked at bars and clubs where smoking is allowed. They took the job knowing that people smoke a lot at these places. Nobody forced them to work in a place where they are subjected to constant cigarette smoke and nobody is forcing them to keep working there.

I hate smoking and I don't care for super smoky bars much either, but I hate the government telling these bar owners that they must ban smoking, which last time I checked was a legal activity. The bar owners know how to run their business. I agree with biscuit, if customers demanded smoke free bars, the market would eventually force bar owners to ban smoking themselves. This is something that the government should stay out of.

As for the comment about dirty old men groping you, that is sexual assault, which is illegal. Smoking is not.

I guess the reason I stick up for smoking even though I think it is disgusting is that once they ban smoking everywhere, the "I-know-what's-best-for-you crowd may go after something that I enjoy, like alcohol.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    I guess I just think that smoking is gross, period. I don't think anyone should do it and I think it would be easier for people to stop doing it if they didn't have a place to do it. I mean, if it did something FOR you, like marijuana and alcohol do, then it might be valid as a recreational drug like marijuana and alcohol often are...

ps- I used to smoke.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The thing with smoking is that IT KILLS PEOPLE THAT DON'T DO IT. I don't think cigarettes should be illegal - if people want to smoke in private residences, I have no problem with that. Drinking alcohol doesn't harm the person sitting next to you. Drunk driving does, and that's what that is illegal.

Registered
    May 2003

Re: Re: Re: Polite Rant - IMHO

Originally posted by Repo Man
    For years people have worked at bars and clubs where smoking is allowed. They took the job knowing that people smoke a lot at these places. Nobody forced them to work in a place where they are subjected to constant cigarette smoke and nobody is forcing them to keep working there.

I hate smoking and I don't care for super smoky bars much either, but I hate the government telling these bar owners that they must ban smoking,
    And I hate the government forcing coal mine owners to have their employees wear air filters. I mean, those people knew they'd be working in an environment with coal dust when they got the job, they didn't have to work there!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by Downtown
    The thing with smoking is that IT KILLS PEOPLE THAT DON'T DO IT. I don't think cigarettes should be illegal - if people want to smoke in private residences, I have no problem with that. Drinking alcohol doesn't harm the person sitting next to you. Drunk driving does, and that's what that is illegal.
    Sorry, DT (and others), I agree with Biscuit & Repo Man here. In my view, this is a cop out. Yeah, smoking is nasty, etc., but I think either smoking is dangerous to smokers and others (which is at least debatable), and should be banned outright, or it's just annoying and it should be left to the market to sort out appropriate curbs. To me this legislation is the purest of politics - and just shows a lack of will on the part of NYS legislators. They don't have the guts to ban smoking outright, but it pays politically to cram this down the throats of smokers, a voting minority.
    Last edited by El Feo; 26 Jun 2003 at 11:41 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2002

Re: Re: Re: Re: Polite Rant - IMHO

Originally posted by jordanb
    And I hate the government forcing coal mine owners to have their employees wear air filters. I mean, those people knew they'd be working in an environment with coal dust when they got the job, they didn't have to work there!
    jordanb, you build the most life-like straw men I've ever seen...did you take a special class to learn how to use logical fallacies?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Polite Rant - IMHO

Originally posted by jordanb
    Thanks jordanb, I think you found a solution. Bartenders and others who work in smoky environments should wear air filters. The gov't hasn't banned coal mining, they have just made it safer for coal miners. Thus, the governement shouldn't ban smoking, just make working in smoky areas safer. Maybe we should all carry canaries into bars and if they die from the smoke we, the customer, will know that it is dangrous and leave.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just dont care about this at all. If you dont like it, leave and go drink alone. My folks were both 3 pack a day smokers when I wa a kid so what the hell the damage has been done. Two hours shooting pool in a smokey bar isnt going to make a damned bit of difference.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Chet
    drink alone
    I have a tendency to do this alot because no one likes the smoke from my cigars.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ugh I hate the smoke of cigars and cigarettes (although I like the smell of tobacco) my nose just starts running non stop when i'm near somebody smoking, or on a smoky place.. and that's why i only smoked for a few months... I couldn't take it... and after that I just can't stand people smoking near me...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    They should build smoking environment buildings and non. One or the other, no sections. Smoke travels, so sections are stupid. It should be up to the owners to decide which their establishment will be. The people will then vote with their feet and the market will hash it out.

I donít like govít regulating my personal actions of my safety. They should not make me wear a helmet, but I do anyway. They should not make me wear a seatbelt, but I do anyway. They should not make me not smoke, but I donít anyway (with exceptions of an occasional cigar, I have smoked (especially in college) but donít anymore, because I enjoy outdoor activities that smoking would inhibit.

But these are MY choices, and either way I am harming only myself. And personally, if I am at a bar and the guy next to me is smoking it does not bother me, and if that changes I will find a new bar, and if it bothers youÖfind a new bar. Vote with your feet.

This should be a market issue, not an ordinance, but again, buildings should be one or the other, not this sections stuff; that just does not work.

Fin
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll come to jordanb's defense. The government does enact rules that govern workplace safety, not just for air quality, but for many other conditions as well. Why should workers in a mine need masks, or dust suppression systems be required in factories, and yet workers in bars and restaurants be allowed to be exposed to carcinogens? For that matter, why should the government prohibit smoking in offices and factories, but not restaurants and bars? What is wrong with consistency?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public streets vs private streets
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 04 Dec 2008, 6:42 AM
  2. No smoking ordinances
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Sep 2007, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Jul 2006, 4:16 PM