Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mixed Use Zoning Code Examples

Registered
    Feb 2003

Mixed Use Zoning Code Examples

Hello all, I am looking for good and bad examples of mixed used zoning code. Got any? I would love to see written code examples and hear how it works out as it is implemented.

I Look forward to hearing from you and appreciate anything you might be able to share.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Mixed Use Zoning Code Examples

Originally posted by Huston
    Hello all, I am looking for good and bad examples of mixed used zoning code. Got any? I would love to see written code examples and hear how it works out as it is implemented.

I Look forward to hearing from you and appreciate anything you might be able to share.
    Here's our TND Ordinance . Its based on a model ordinance for WIsconsin municipalities (all Wis. cities and villages over 12,500 population are required to have TND enabling ordiannces).

You can be the judge whether its a good example or bad one.

The city of Gainesville, Florida has tried to implement mixed use zoning, with appropriately mixed results. You can look at their codes from their website (it will involve using Municode) - search under MU-1 and MU-2 (Mixed-Use Low intensity and Medium intensity) or under "Sec. 30-65"

I seem to recall that they had some issues with the way it worked out. In one of the early uses, an applicant requested a zoning to MU-2, and everybody was really excited that somebody wanted to a mixed-use project. Then the guy opened a tire store, which was an allowable use, but not exactly what they had in mind for their fancy new mixed use district...

I think they may have tweaked the code a little after that.

So it goes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Davis has a decent mixed use zoning code (at least it was several years ago when I used it). But it is also heavily supported by downtown design regulations geared toward the mixed us (in a separate document).
    You can find Davis's mucipal code
    here.

The downtown and mixed use design guidelines are here. (Warning: big pdf file)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There are some code models out there you might check out. Oregon, of course, has one:

http://www.lcd.state.or.us/tgm/commercial_code.htm

There are more links at the doe website:

http://www.sustainable.doe.gov/greendev/codes.shtml

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 10:37 AM
  2. Need examples of mixed use developments
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 11:21 AM
  3. Replies: 13