Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where can I get peer reviewed articles?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Where can I get peer reviewed articles?

Need help here, any ideas?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tried the library?

Seriously, on what topics? There are thousands of them published every year, on everything from anthropoligy to zoology. Get as specific as you can, because there are dozens of peer reviewed journals related to planning issues.

Your university library should have on-line journals (although Journal of APA and Journal of Planning Education and Research are not on-line). You can use the Social Sciences Abstract and ABInform (now called something else) to conduct searches on a specific topic. Your university librarian should be able to help you.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Thanks, I knew that the library had some, but really thought I could find some on the internet without going to the library. I have not had any luck with that though. I'm looking for articles on stadium and thier impact and downtowns or other urban areas.

Thanks again.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I read a good article once on the proposed St. Louis stadium and its urban village. But now I can't find it. There is an economic development report from the State of Missouri (pdf) that is written more like an article... but it hasn't had peer review.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Urban Land Institute, www.uli.org, has covered the topic quite a bit. The Brookings Institute has also dealt with it, for example, http://www.brook.edu/press/review/summer97/noll.htm. While these may not all be peer reviewed, you might do a search on the references or authors, and no doubt you will find a few articles.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Masters thesis

Certainly a Masters thesis should count as peer reviewed.

Check out one by a Cornell University graduate (J. Hoch) done on this topic in or around 1992 or 1993.

It should be available through inter-library loan.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Cool, thanks again for the info, I will use it!

There are a ton of peer reviewed articles on stadiums. Mark Rosentraub is the major author on this topic. His latest article "Cities, Sports, and Economic Change: A Retrospective Assessment" is in the Journal of Urban Affairs Vol 24, 5 pgs 549-563. A simple search under his name in any of the library journal resources will turn up a number of articles, plus he has written two books on the topic.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by cowley.11
    There are a ton of peer reviewed articles on stadiums. Mark Rosentraub is the major author on this topic. His latest article "Cities, Sports, and Economic Change: A Retrospective Assessment" is in the Journal of Urban Affairs Vol 24, 5 pgs 549-563. A simple search under his name in any of the library journal resources will turn up a number of articles, plus he has written two books on the topic.
    Hey, thanks, that helped a lot.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Peer communities methodology
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Feb 2008, 2:20 PM
  3. Peer review
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2