Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Competition from Down Under

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Competition from Down Under

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    isnt imitation the best flattery?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If we didnt love Aussies so much I'd say....

LET THE HOUSTON - ESQUE INVASION BEGIN!!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by bturk

Oh sure, let them Aussies have their fun - I bet if it was a Canadian planning board the War-mongering Cyburbia Regime would move right quick to shut it down

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Please Paul - why would Canada need their own Canadian Cyburbia? They're practically State 51 already. :P

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by KMateja
    Please Paul - why would Canada need their own Canadian Cyburbia? They're practically State 51 already. :P
    Except for Quebec, of course. Used to be plenty of French voices on the Cyburbia Forums, back when it was the Cyburbia Cafe; they stuck to the architecture sub-groups. There were very few urbanistes on here, though.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Boy. Has Australia gone a little xenophobic? Their main goal seems to be avoiding American content Is Australian culture and urbanism so dfferent?

Oh well, more power to them

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by bturk

Ah, we could just say "Invasions of your thread? That's just Cyburbian for fun."
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by BKM
    Boy. Has Australia gone a little xenophobic? Their main goal seems to be avoiding American content Is Australian culture and urbanism so dfferent?
    I was struck by the same thing. I saw part xenophobia, and maybe a perception that Cyburbia deliberately discourages or censors discussions from the other side of the Pacific.

From the PIA message board:

"The Cyburbia site is good, buts its difficult to discuss current topics from Australia with Americans and Canadians."

"I agree that planning forum without the usual American content is long overdue, well done to PIA."
    Cyburbia has a critical mass of North American users, so there's plenty of folks here to sustain discussion on land use issues over on this side of the pond. Despite my efforts, though, I haven't had much luck with attracting Aussies, Kiwis, and S'effricans. If there was a similar critical mass of non-NA planners here, there would probably be more discussion of planning issues in those countries. I doubt few here would mind.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You are right, Dan. The topics of discussion depend a lot on who participates.

The other forum I sometimes post on, urbanphoto.org, has a pretty strong Canadian contingent. Including one poor youth (always the subject of abuse) who delights in posting endless pictures of suburban Toronto edge cities.

I just hope JNL doesn't defect.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Only just saw this thread.

Course I'm not going to defect! Can't get rid of me that easily

And I hope you weren't confusing me with an Australian!!

Now can someone help me with this avatar, which I've picked to help remind you I'm a Kiwi. I'm struggling to resize it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    hope this is small enough to post.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I say more power to our friends in Austrailia. Dan did you ever consider a forum for other national interests? We Yankee inperialists yellow running dogs of the multnational corporate interests could even promise to leave them alone unless we were posting a legit question about their practices. It might build interests and we could harness the Google-Bots and foreign search engines. Once we had the world coming here we could quitely announce the subjigation of Canada.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    I say more power to our friends in Austrailia. Dan did you ever consider a forum for other national interests?
    Not really. I'm a fan of the melting pot.

Every couple of months, someone will write and ask for a minority-only or women-only forum. The answer has been in the FAQ since 1997 or so.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Dan
    Not really. I'm a fan of the melting pot.

me too. it is more interesting that way.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by donk
    hope this is small enough to post.
    Thanks donk.

I am a melting pot fan too. It's good to learn from the experiences of others. I just read an interesting report called "Curbing the sprawl: Urban growth management in the United States - lessons for New Zealand".

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Oopsies that was me. Trying to multi-task... not going too well!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by BKM
    Boy. Has Australia gone a little xenophobic? Their main goal seems to be avoiding American content Is Australian culture and urbanism so dfferent? Oh well, more power to them
    This thread has been recycled so I can't help myself - I had previously decided not to bite ..BUT

BKM your remarks are insulting - Australia has always been xenophobic. To suggest we are only just becoming so is disrespectful of the hard work put in by many d!ckheads over many years. There, hostilities over.

I think the idea of an Australian board isn't bad. I have posted there on a couple of occasions but the thing just hasn't taken off. The shortcomings of Cyburbia for an Australian (at least this Australian) are:

Much of your jargon is different to ours so while I always receive courteous and helpful interpretations when I ask dumb questions, it stilts contributions.
    Joining in is further hampered by the time difference. I've very rarely been able to take part in discussions as they unfold. It would be much more fun if that wasn't the case.
    Due to the different legislative frameworks we work in, many Cyburbia threads, particularly discussions about practical day-to-day problems which should be some of the most interesting, are foreign to me. Similar discussions in an Australian context would not be useful for Cyburbanites.

That's a couple of the reasons why an API bulletin board could be useful. All power to Cyburbia though - I enjoy being the token Australian and hope we can continue our positive, 'open' relationship - I will continue to see the API site 'on the side'. I will also continue to work towards helping JNL understand she really is an Australian, she just doesn't realise it yet.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Rem
    I will also continue to work towards helping JNL understand she really is an Australian, she just doesn't realise it yet.
    NEVER!!!! I would rather eat my own jandals!! :P

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by JNL
    NEVER!!!! I would rather eat my own jandals!! :P
    You want a few macadamias and a can of XXXX with that?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Competition for industry: how far to go?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 10:24 AM
  2. Theresa has competition!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Oct 2004, 7:08 PM
  3. Competition from Down Under
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Apr 2003, 11:28 AM
  4. New Cyburbia Competition