Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Damn boy bands

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Damn boy bands

So, I'm taking a late lunch at some barbecue joint down the road in Winter Garden. It's quiet, and I can get a table for four where I can spread out my newspaper, and maybe look over the draft of the new development code.

Well, not so quiet this this. Four young, unusually hip guys walk in, and sit at the table next to mine. They're followed by an older guy. They're discussing songs, credits, deals, concerts -- a discussion that's far more LA than West Orange County.

My peace and quiet is disturbed by O-Town. I know I'm getting old when my thoughts are along the lines of "they're famous, but so what?" Now, if it was Rush or Boston at the next table, that would be something. Nope ... it's a damn boy band. I plowed through the Money section of USA Today, paid my bill, grabbed some mints and drove back to work.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Now if it was Britney.....Hummm?

My brush with greatness: I once loaned the members of Starship (sans the Jefferson) my copy of the WSJ in the KCI Airport waiting area while we waited for the same plane. They were on their "Modern Times" tour. I felt sorry for them. They didn't look like they could afford their own copy. It looked like a hard way to make a living for guy's in their 50's.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    During a layover in Chicago, while waiting in line at McDonalds, the WWF entourage went strolling through. It was almost like a parade because: a) there were so many of them and b) everyone stopped to gawk at the giants. My poor husband missed most of it, but was still pretty excited because Rob Van Dam washed his hands in the sink next to him.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I was in a band...

...and we once opened for Foghat.

Older folks will remember them, and their big hit "Slowride".

That'd be one of my claims to fame. And not that any of them would remember me, but I've also met folks like David Crosby, Alex Van Halen (actually played roller hockey with Van Halen and the roadies), Getty Lee, Ted Nugent, and a few other big names. It was neat having a good friend with a key to the Spectrum in Philly... he was the head of security.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I was working at a hotel and KC and the Sunshine band checked in. I would not have recognized them, but KC was wearing a KC and the Sunshine Band sweatshirt, and made it a point to tell me that they are the band. I felt a little sorry for them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Oh the memories...

When I was in college I spent summers slinging hash in a 24 hour restaurant. We routinely had bands and their entourages comes through at 3 or 4 a.m. after they struck the set. I've waited on Bill Idol (a bad tipper!) and Billy Joel amongst others. And trust me, by 4 a.m. if they aren't boozing or coking, they're not rock stars....

Registered
    Aug 2001

lame brushes with fame

I once met Rodney Dangerfield outside a hollywood hills Fla Delicatessen(he did his I get no respect schtick for a caddy full of teenage girls), chatted up a pimply Johnny Depp outside a So Florida club where his band was playing in the mid 80's.
    and on the macabre side Ted Bundy in his white vw was spotted outside my elementary school in South Florida in the early seventies ewww. The next day I got my one and only ride to school.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Alcohol at the centerof it all...

I played soccer in college with a few guys who formed bands. In a small "big" town that's an asset...the music scene

One band called The Gufs (no one has heard of but on the Atlantic Label) played one of many show show in town. The opening band was Matchbox 20. This is right before Matchbox became huge, so I sat in a bar drinking with them before the show and they seemed like normal struggling musicians.

Another band called The Jamesons opened for Rick Springfield and Modern English. Interesting to be around people who still believe their careers have never ended.

Mike Peters (of The Alarm) played a solo show in town last year, and a couple of us went out for beers with him afterward.

My friend in The Jamesons best friend (follow that?!?) plays bass guitar in the BoDeans. Both guys also happen to live a couple of blocks away (that sounds wierd, doesn't it?!). We go to bars more than a person can admit without winding up in a 12-step program. Do you see a pettern here. There isn't too much else to do in town...

Never met anyone super famous, though. I wonder if I'd become star-struck if I bumped into a movie star... I'd probably just mutter incoherently about TDRs or something...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2001

Prudence,
    I liked your Gipper avatar.
    In my country he is considered as a God.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Gipper

For you, El Guapo, I will revert to my true self. I thought people myight be initially offended...people have a tendency to fly off the handle when a conservative is involved.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Still looking...

Now which file did I put my FDR pic in?? I'll find it, you'll see!!! (dad was a New Deal Democrat)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Found it!!

Here's a real president.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Once I was in a restroom with (at the same time as) R. Reagan: does that count? I might have met some rock stars in the late 60s, but I don't remember the 60s.

Registered
    Nov 2001

President

Richmond-

That certainly is a picture of FDR, but I don't see President Eleanor anywhere. Or her life partner.

You felt the need to comment on my avatar, not anything I said about Presidents or their policies. We can go round and round about the sordid pasts of each and every "beloved" President. Let's end it now...

Registered
    Oct 2001

I like this game.

We could take turns posting flattering pictures of our favorite politicians.

Next!

Registered
    Aug 2001

"Old Rough and Ready"

"Old Rouch and Ready". That's what they called my favorite POTUS. In the modern day, that has been shortened to RUGGED.

You gotta love the days when a man without brains much less an education could become President. Oh wait, wasn't that 1980-1988?

Oh come on, everyone loves the Whigs party, but most just don't know it yet!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been searching but can't find it. Come on, somebody must have the pic of former-President Bush barfing on the Prime Minister of Japan at a state dinner. As we all know, it was caused by consumption of raw fish and broccoli.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Bturk?

From your new avaitar I'm guessing you are Janet Reno, no?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Very disturbing

RichmondJake, I tried to find that photo on the web, but when I typed "Bush&Vomit" into my search engine, the results were, well.... unfortunate.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tried "Bush throwing up"...no luck for photos but some very interesting text--especially the Will Durst piece.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 2:26 PM
  2. Popular Bands you Never Liked
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 10:54 AM
  3. Bands You Have Seen in Person
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 8:57 PM