Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shut Down Interstate Rant

Registered
    Dec 1998

Shut Down Interstate Rant

The Vice President is in town for a couple of days. Since his arrival, traffic in the city has been downright horrible. Interstate was shut down completely yesterday right at the beginning of the evening rush hour. It took me twice as long to get home and needless to say, I was not a happy camper. While I understand the need for his security, I still don't understand the need for such pomp and circumstance. It's not like assassains peruse the interstates on a daily basis waiting to do a drive-by on an elected official. I honestly think that the Secret Service can get the prez or vice prez around town without anyone truly noticing. Do you REALLY pay attention to the drivers next to you?? Other than catch an occasional nose picker or someone doing Donna Summer or Barry Manilow impressions, do you really SEE the people next to you? Just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Shut Down Interstate Rant

Originally posted by Planderella
    The Vice President is in town for a couple of days. Since his arrival, traffic in the city has been downright horrible. Interstate was shut down completely yesterday right at the beginning of the evening rush hour.
    I totally understand your frustration. When I visited Egypt in 1995, I had about two hours of free time to see the pyramids/sphinx at Giza. During that time it just so happened that Hillary and Chelsea were visiting the pyramids too. So where you would normally be able to get up close to the pyramids and even climb one of them, I had to stay a hell of a long way back. Totally made me mad... because who knows if I'll ever make it back there.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Man, that's Dick.................. Cheney for you.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    UGG last time I was in NYC my flight from LaGuardia was cancelled and I had to cab it over to Newark (i.e. armpit of the east coast). Problem was, Haitian immigrants were protesting that jailhouse broomstick sodomy case and had the Holland Tunnel closed, and Al Gore's motorcase was rumbling down the freeway. It took me all friggin day to make it to the airport. Don't people realize the VP is insignificant?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    My brother was thrown to the ground and poked with uzis for pulling into a rest area on the I-state on the way to a George Carlin show. Then VP George Bush Sr was going the other way on the other side. The SS even took their beer. Pretty scary for a couple of 17 y/o's.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    Man, that's Dick.................. Cheney for you.
    It seems most people here were inconvenienced by Slick Willie and his cohorts...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Apr 2002

Re: Shut Down Interstate Rant

Originally posted by Planderella
    It's not like assassains peruse the interstates on a daily basis waiting to do a drive-by on an elected official.
    It's true that shootings happen infrequently on the interstate. On the other hand fatality accidents happen every day. Maybe for VIP safety the other cars need to be removed.

Sounds like the Secret Service should be lined up for pro public transit advertisements. That way they can testify about how dangerous travel by automobile is...
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Government Shut down, do you care?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 230
    Last post: 15 Oct 2013, 7:08 PM
  2. PlanningWiki shut down
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0