Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: gender issues on transportation

Registered
    Apr 2003

gender issues on transportation

Hi to all.

Does anybody knows about publications or research papers that deal with gender issues in transportation?
    There's a lack of literature related to these issues.
    Thanks for any help...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Um, what sort of "gender issues" are we talking about here? Equity of access? Why women can't drive?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If you look into history of feminism, you'll find items related to bicycle use, fashions and changing attitudes at the turn of the 19th and 20th century.

The histroy of bicycles and bike clubs should also provide similar comments.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well, the methods used to measure the patrocinage of users in public transportation use households heads. the implications for not mention the gender can imply a false neutrality of the term "users", and for neutrality I'm referring to men household heads. Another assumption is that the travel patterns of the household head is representative of all the family members and the trip to work is the most important .

I'm not a transportation expert, but as far as I know the travel patterns of women are very different from men's and that suppose a new shift in policy implementation, and route programming. I'm interested specifically in the way other cities had dealt with this issue and waht kind of initiative did they implement and the results of that process. Something like that...

Please excuse my English...I'm a boricua fighting with the words....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Okay - that makes a little more sense. I think there have been a number of studies (especially in Europe) that looked at the differences in travel patterns between the sexes. I'm not sure what recent work has been performed - I think a lot of the research was done when the impact of more female participation in the workforce, etc. was becoming more pronounced. Nowadays I think we have a bit more of a level playing field, at least in North America/Europe.

As to the travel survey method you mention...that sounds really really outdated - but probably goes back to the time when only one household member per family actually worked. We collect data on the travel patterns of all household members (over age 12). Simply getting the data for one member, the "head" of the household, would be useless.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 82
    Last post: 17 Jul 2006, 12:10 PM
  2. Gender-based Medicine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Sep 2004, 6:32 AM
  3. China's Gender Gap
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 20 Sep 2004, 3:14 PM