Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GM gives up on electric cars

Registered
    Aug 2001

GM gives up on electric cars

CNN is reporting that GM will scrap its fleet of leased electric cars when the leases expire.

doesn't surprise me one bit. the technology to mass produce a viable purely electric car is not affordable. think of it from the gm's perspective: they wanna make money, and they're losing money producing these cars.

also, consider this: do you want one? probably not. i sure don't. the overnight charging, relatively short range, and small size limits their practicality. and gasoline, even though it's more expensive now, is still rediculously cheap in the u.s. by world standards. only when policymakers will have the backbone (and the independence from corporate interests) to impose a much higher tax on gasoline, and community planners can overcome political hurdles to designing communities for people, rather than cars.

so, in effect, building an electric car misses the point. it seems to me that rather than driving cars that pollute less, our goal ought to be simply to drive less, especially in metro areas. it can be done.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Are electric cars really more environmentally sound? Generating plants emit tons of pollutants. And, what do you do with the batteries (toxic waste extraordinaire!)!

More importantly, many of the environmental impacts of the automobile are based on the lifestyle that personal vehicles facilitate (low density suburban development, recreational driving, "living in the country," etc. (Not that I myself am not guilty of these evil actvities, but they do have an environmental impact.)

How would a techno-toy solve like an electric vehicle solve these ancillary problems? Still, they are pretty neat. So quiet and smooth!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by BKM
    Are electric cars really more environmentally sound? Generating plants emit tons of pollutants. And, what do you do with the batteries (toxic waste extraordinaire!)!

More importantly, many of the environmental impacts of the automobile are based on the lifestyle that personal vehicles facilitate (low density suburban development, recreational driving, "living in the country," etc. (Not that I myself am not guilty of these evil actvities, but they do have an environmental impact.)

How would a techno-toy solve like an electric vehicle solve these ancillary problems? Still, they are pretty neat. So quiet and smooth!
    This is a great argument for Breeder Reactors and Nuclear Power. We can have it all if we would just harness the atom! Viva la French Atome.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by BKM
    So quiet and smooth!
    Great. So we kill more pedestrians that never hear them coming.

Off-topic:
    For El Guapo: LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    B Turk: Since Pedestrians are probably commie liberals, they deserve to die anyway! Long live the silent death machines!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Call this a death wish, but I had some AH HD rider get on it yesterday at a stop light when I was next to them, with my windows down enjoying the spring weather, to the point my ears almost bled. So I layed on the horn and stayed right next to the AH with the horn a blairing until he backed off of the throttle. And he gave me a look like I was the one out of line. Can anyone tell me why the menace of extreme noise levels are allowed to exist in our communities?

May I offer a slight edit on your quote: Loud Pipes Save dirtbag Lives.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    EG - That's a great story. But to your revised quote, most HD buyers these days are Yuppies living second childhoods, with more money than brains.

Reminds me of the old "Northern Exposure" episode when Ruth Anne borrow's Chris' 47 Pan Head (if I remember right) and goes riding with The Diablos. At the end of the episode they Diablos are planning their next ride, and they're all pulling out day planners and mummbling things like, "nope can't do it that weekend, Jason has soccer practice..." and "...that date won't work either, Lisa has a piano recital..."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    A scene from Kansas City's Country Club Plaza a couple of weeks ago.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Chet - I agree. It seems to be what some middle aged men do with their spare cash once the kids are out of college. Nevertheless, they all are dirtbags to me once they modify the pipes. It is all a "look at me" plea for some acknowledgement from their otherwise meaningless lives.

Dan - Those are donors- an entirely different sub-species of bike riders. Not all donors are dirtbags.

I do not have a problem with motorcycles. I have a problem with lawbreakers who are vast moving externalities and nuisances. A motorcyclist's right to be heard should stop at a certain level of hearing discomfort. Because they choose to ride doesn't give them the right to cause excess noise polution for their personal safety.

I like Kansas' way of dealing with them: No helmet laws. That gets most of them eventually. Ride Free Brothers - Ride Free

hybrid's are the future.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I like EG's Darwin Award solution! No helmet laws=fewer harleybeasts. But, how many of the harleybeasts have health insurance for the inevitable crash?

There is a harleybeast bar near my house in Vacaville. I hate that damn noise!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by BKM
    I like EG's Darwin Award solution! No helmet laws=fewer harleybeasts. But, how many of the harleybeasts have health insurance for the inevitable crash?

There is a harleybeast bar near my house in Vacaville. I hate that damn noise!
    Probably most of them. You almost need a professional salary to afford one these days.

Registered
    Jan 2002

Are electric cars really more environmentally sound? Generating plants emit tons of p

BKM, I believe you've hit the nail on the head.
    Electric vehicles are not at all environmentally responsible. You have to take into account the fact that they depend on the same infrastructure for energy as our consumptive buildings. I'm not at all incensed at GM's decision, but wonder why they chose to develop electric vehicles as opposed to hybrids (which have proven to be supernaturally more efficient than both gas or electric). Could there be a little bedplay between the automakers touting their development of electrical vehicles, and the energy giants of the nation? If not, then why were the Japanese the first to go commercial with hybrids, when U.S. automakers possessed the same means of developing them and making them available to the conscientious public?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 May 2013, 4:12 PM
  2. Electric cars - The future?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Nov 2010, 8:15 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 2:17 PM
  4. Anyone for Electric Football?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)