Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ahh.. yet another board to post to..

Registered
    Apr 2003

Ahh.. yet another board to post to..

Hey everyone - looks like you have a pretty cool thing going on here. I'm another midwesterner, working at my first planning job in a suburb of Chicago that is bursting at the seams. I figure this forum is a good way to meet other planners around the country (world?), and bounce ideas around (or at least read some by those more creative than I..) My interests are all over the place (which is what finally landed me in planning), some of which include, travel, music (often combined with travel), playing guitar, skateboarding (although I haven't really skated in the past few years - it's still in my blood), carpentry/home repair, sound engineering, computers/internet/GIS systems, photography, and ultimately, being respectful of what is left of our tiny blue dot.

Just a quick question since I haven't really lurked on this board.... What's the pace of the board like? Is there high turn-over on posts here? Or is a weekly check of the boards going to keep me up to speed?

-Jeff

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Welcome

Hey Jeff...
    I am in the same boat (in my first Planning Job), but I am working in PA. I want to get into the chicago land area, so if you hear of anything let me know.

As for your question... I check the boards anywhere from once a day, to a few times a day. It has a crazy turn over rate, and people here seem to be cool. I have only been a member since thursday, and I have learned alot so far.

Best of luck with your job.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome Jeff.

The board turns over fairly quickly, especially the Friday Afternoon Club where we go to blow off a little steam during the work week.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi Jeff...

Welcome to Cyburbia. We have a lot of the same common interests... such as the music, travel, photography and skateboarding. Although, I'm a skateboarding spectator really... (unless I get to play Tony Hawk on the xbox ).

Enjoy the forums... come by often!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    ah - looks like I'll have to check more often - especially on fridays after meetings... Thanks for the welcome

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome!

Its slow on the weekend and major holidays but other times its a fun filled stress busting free for all (sort of)

PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome.

You may be able to get by checking once or twice on a weekend, but weekdays you'll pretty much want to just skip work and hang out here with the rest of us. You'll never make it into the Clube if you just check in once a week.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Face it, you will eventually join Cyburbanites Anonymous - so just give up now and start posting 24/7.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Welcome to the madness that is Cyburbia!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Careful, you'll start out looking for serious info, once a week and get dragged into the clube, killing kittens and worshipping the great leader.

Seriously

Welcome aboard, you'll find a wide range of musical tastes here and people with similar interests.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A hearty "Welcome!" from the Southern Tier of NY state.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Ahh.. yet another board to post to..

Originally posted by apunaha23
    Just a quick question since I haven't really lurked on this board.... What's the pace of the board like? Is there high turn-over on posts here? Or is a weekly check of the boards going to keep me up to speed?
    On weekends, there's a lot of lurking activity, but not too much posting ... maybe 10 messages on a Saturday or Sunday.

Weekdays, there's anywhere from 100 up to as many as 300 posts a day, and activity is increasing. Things tend to slow down somewhat for US and Canadian holidays.

Welcome aboard!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA Job Board
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Oct 2010, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Dec 2006, 11:05 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Jan 2005, 8:38 AM