Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definitions and diagrams for "yards"

Registered
    Feb 2002

Definitions and diagrams for "yards"

Our current ordinance defines each yard (side, rear, front, ) in about 500 words or more. We need to amend our definitions of each particular yard to make it a little more user friendly, and to also accomodate corner lots.

Anyone have a good definition of each yard for me? Bonus points if you have a corresponding diagram.

Thanks!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My suggestion, as always is to try Lehmans Dictionary and Diagram Book. It has everything from really short definitions to super long legalese ones.

Here are ours, as massaged from Lehmans and other local by-laws.

YARD means the open, uncovered space on a lot appurtenant to a building and unoccupied by buildings or structures except as specifically permitted elsewhere in this By-law.

Yard, Front means a yard extending across the full width of a lot and between the front lot line and the nearest wall of any main building or structure on the lot.

Yard, minimum front means the minimum depth required by this By-law of a front yard on a lot between the front lot line and the nearest main wall of any building or structure on the lot.

Yard, Rear means a yard extending across the full width of a lot and between the rear lot line and nearest wall of any main building or structure on the lot.

Yard, minimum rear means the minimum depth required by this By-law of a rear yard on a lot between a rear lot line and the nearest main wall of any building or structure on the lot.

Yard, Side means a yard extending between the front yard and the rear yard and between a side lot line and the nearest main wall of any building or structure on the lot.

Yard, minimum side means the minimum depth required by this By-law of a side yard on a lot between a side yard line and the nearest main wall of any building or structure on the lot.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Our code doesn't have one, but I have seen several useful drawings in other codes and books that have a nice drawing showing all the variations for yards and setbacks.

Here is one

"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2004, 9:33 AM