Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Student Parking Demand

Registered
    Apr 2003

Student Parking Demand

Is anyone aware of any studies relating to parking demand at privately-owned student housing facilities in close proximity to a college campus? I'm interested in determining the parking need for residents of off-campus apartments and private dormitories as opposed to on-campus facilties. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While I do not have a study for you, I can tell you that we require two stalls for an efficiency or one-bedroom, three stalls for a two-bedroom, and four stalls for a three-bedroom unit. The problem we find is that almost every student has a car, and it is especially bad when they are over-occupied. At times we have used parking as a limiting factor to try to control occupancy. If there are only two parking spaces (with no on-street parking) it is less attractive to have three or more students in a unit. The other problem we sometimes get is students parking on lawns, but frequent citations seem to curb this pretty quickly at the beginning of the year.

The City of Seattle Washington has separate parking standards for their University Area. The calculation form is on-line.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 1:55 PM
  2. Dunkin' Donuts parking demand
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 5:25 PM
  3. Parking demand for batting cages
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Mar 2007, 11:39 PM