Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nuisance parking ordinance

Registered
    Feb 2002

Nuisance parking ordinance

Anyone have a good nuisance parking ordinance? In particular, I'm looking for something that says you have two front yards if you live on a corner lot, neither of which can be parked on.

Thanks!

Our code prohibits parking on any landscaped or turn area. It is rarely enforced in residential districts, but we use it on commercial properties all the time, especially car dealers.

Here is what our code reads:

Parking Prohibited at All Times

Except temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading or in receiving or discharging passengers or property and while the vehicle is attended by a licensed operator so that it may be moved promptly in case of an emergency or to avoid obstruction of traffic, no person shall at any time park or leave standing any vehicle:

(17) Upon any landscaped or turf area.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The City of Kalamazoo has a pretty comprehensive and strict Ord. when it comes to parking.

A lot of amendments have been made to the Ord. in the last couple years as a result of parking concerns related to WMU students parking on lawns and just about anywhere else the feel like parking.

You can access the Ord. from the website below. Good Luck

http://www.ci.kalamazoo.mi.us/

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Hey Josh - I checked out the Kzoo website, but can't find the ordinances. Do you know what section they are in?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We use the term "street yard" instead of front yard.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    sidewalk parking is a big issue here as a lack of transit investments has led to a rise in 2 and 3 car households

here's what one neighborhood decided to do about it -

http://www.shady.com/mnc/parking.html
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Enforcement Nuisance property ordinances
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Nov 2006, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 8:28 PM
  4. When is a nuisance a nuisance?
    Land Use and Zoning