Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kansas City - Country Club Plaza area (even more)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Kansas City - Country Club Plaza area (even more)

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Nice photos. Dan, have you been to O'Dowd's Irish Pub at Country Club Plaza? I was there 2 summers ago and I loved their rooftop deck (and their Guinness!)
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I want to work in a nice city
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The mix of uses and a lot of the architecture is great but why the Spanish theme - especially next to some of the other styles? Is the area a conventional neighborhood or is it all owned mall-style by one big company? From what I understand this area is a lotmore vibrant than downtown KC.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dan,

Where in Kansas City does a single man go to find the single ladies?!

a friend of mine told me of an awesome steakhouse somewhere in the country club complex..he said it was fantastic and very well known..I don't recall the name he told me.

Probably Plaza III, The Steakhouse. They only have two locations, Boston and Kansas City's Country Club Plaza.

Registered
    Jun 2003

Explanation

Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    The mix of uses and a lot of the architecture is great but why the Spanish theme - especially next to some of the other styles? Is the area a conventional neighborhood or is it all owned mall-style by one big company? From what I understand this area is a lotmore vibrant than downtown KC.

The reason, I am almost certain of since I grew up 40 miles west of KC, is that Seville, Spain is the sister city of Kansas City. It was a concious effort to mix in some spanish style. Another possible or likely reason is that KC was the eastern terminus of the Santa Fe Trail, which connected the Midwest with the Southwest in pioneer times.

At any rate, it is probably the farthest north you will see spanish architecture in the middle of the country..

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I believe J.C. Nicholls, the developer shose the style simply to have a unified look. It's remarkable how the shopping "mall" has stayed true to his vision. I believe any new construction must follow the style conventions that have been established. When the plaza was built, it was out at the edge of the city, so Nichols could pretty much pick whatever style he wanted.

The country club plaza is one of my favorite places to go in KC. It beats the heck out of seeing the fabulous stockyards on my grandfather's legendary slum tour.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

I believe Mr. Nichol's bicycling through Spain inspired the Spanish architecture.

Nice Photos of an interesting neighborhood.

Is that highrise an apartment building in this photo?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by metroboi
    Nice Photos of an interesting neighborhood.

Is that highrise an apartment building in this photo?

Yes it is a condo building, and my grandfather was once the doorman there.

I'm shocked at how many big, solid buildings are in that area. I had no idea central K.C. had that kind of bulky density.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 7:59 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 02 Apr 2004, 5:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2003, 11:38 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2003, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Dec 2002, 1:53 PM