Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: What is your opinion of yellow ribbons?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yellow ribbons bring warm fuzzies for families of soldiers

8 29.63%
  • Yellow ribbons are an empty meaninless gesture, tear em down!

10 37.04%
  • Yellow ribbons are in my yard, on my car antennea and pinned to my breast

1 3.70%
  • I would tie yellow ribbons but there is an ordinance against it

0 0%
  • Other, explained below

8 29.63%
Closed thread

Thread: Yellow Ribbons

Registered
    Aug 2001

Yellow Ribbons

Do you support the idea that plasticized yellow strips tied around trees and poles are really boosting the morale of our troops and families?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Jen - I added "other" to your poll, which is how I voted. I personally am not a fan of the yellow ribbons, but if it makes some people feel good to put them up, and a few people warm and fuzzy to see them, then I can't really espouse tearing them down.
    What I really wish is that people would take care of their flags.

I am of the mind that if it makes people feel like they are supporting the troops, that is fine. I am sure that people with family members in the armed forces really enjoy seeing the yellow ribbons and I assume that as troops come back to their hometowns, they really appreciate knowing that people are thinking of them.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They drive me batty, all tied differently: up the pole, down the pole, big ribbons, scraggly ribbons, multibowed, single bowed, and I have even seen crime scene tape used!

I am sick of looking at those things! Flags I support, stringy ticky tacky fugly plastic streamers everywhere I don't.

Thanks for adding the other option DT.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't say that I like them, and I think that they are really pretty meaningless. It's kind of like a bumper sticker. Nobody changes their mind because of an anti-abortion sticker, or chooses to vote for Dukakis because of one. On the other hand, the ribbons may make people feel more like they are supportive, so why not. I found myself sticking an American flag in the yard on September 11, 2001. It was something I could do.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We don't have any up at our house, but I know several family members that do (one ribbon each....not a ton of 'em) for support of my brother in law and my wife's cousin who is heading over next week.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Not my cup of tea, but I'm not offended by them either, unless they are of the over the top or weather worn still up since the last war variety.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Politically I see nothing wrong with them.

As long and they donít end up being litter in the street afterwards.

PS> I am happy to see that the choices in your poll are not skewed towards your opinion
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Seems like a waste of ribbon to me....but if it makes you happy to put it up so be it.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Didn't the yellow ribbon originally signify support, hope and etc. for the hostages in Iran back in the day?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted other. I wouldn't hang the ribbons or wear one. A couple of our neighbors walked around the neighborhood hanging yellow ribbons, and I admit they look nice. I haven't heard any negative comments, and it does convey a sense of community here. Our council, which I mentioned accused the WWII vet here of using gestapo tactics, even left the ribbon hanging alone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    No, Tony Orlando and Dawn (there were two "Dawn's" remember?) invented the yellow ribbon. You were to ties it around the oak tree if you still loved me....

Bottom line: my neighbor has a kid in Bagdad, he has a yellow ribbon on his mailbox. That's good enough for me.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    No, Tony Orlando and Dawn (there were two "Dawn's" remember?) invented the yellow ribbon. You were to ties it around the oak tree if you still loved me....

Bottom line: my neighbor has a kid in Bagdad, he has a yellow ribbon on his mailbox. That's good enough for me.
    The fact that "Tie A Yellow Ribbon..." launched the careers of Tony Orlando and Dawn, and secured them a variety show to bother America every week is why the yellow ribbon should be despised, BUT

...I believe that gkmo's bottom line says it all. If you want a ribbon, then have a ribbon. If you don't, then don't.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

I guess I feel that the ribbon can be a nice symbolic gesture of support. However, if you have something like a City sign or a tree in a park that is junked up with say 100 ribbons, it kind of looses its meaning.

We had this automobile dealership here in town that wanted to add an American flag to every one of their light poles (about 20 poles), claiming it was a patriotic gesture. Thankfully the commission saw this as a way to draw attention to their dealership and denied the request.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    It has a bit more history than people might think...

http://www.loc.gov/folklife/ribbons/ribbons.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think it's fine. I just have a hard time keeping up with what all the different colors are supposed to mean:
    Yellow = Support our troops
    Pink = Breast cancer awareness
    Etc. Etc. Etc.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Reminds me of the seinfeld episode, were Kramer refused to wear the red AIDS ribbon in the parade.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2003
    I get kinda cynical when it comes to the ribbons and the flag thing. It seems like if these people were really patriots, they'd take care of them and make sure they stay nice. Even the bumper stickers on the cars of the American Flag are fading and I don't see that as true patriotism- I see that as a fad that got left behind. I get more impression of support ande dedication when the flag or the yellow ribbon is kept nice, clean and unfrayed.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by bet on me
    I get kinda cynical when it comes to the ribbons and the flag thing. It seems like if these people were really patriots, they'd take care of them and make sure they stay nice. Even the bumper stickers on the cars of the American Flag are fading and I don't see that as true patriotism- I see that as a fad that got left behind. I get more impression of support ande dedication when the flag or the yellow ribbon is kept nice, clean and unfrayed.
    Hmmm, sure you don't work in the retail industry?

Sounds like a good sales pitch
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Yellow cards
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Jun 2005, 5:56 PM
  2. Yellow Card for jordanb
    Cyburbia Issues and Help