Urban planning community

Poll results: Going to see X-men next weekend?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course!

6 19.35%
  • Maybe, we may catch it, maybe wait, maybe not at all

9 29.03%
  • Um no, you dork.

16 51.61%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What was I thinking????

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    My worst bike fall was on the track two years ago, stalled on the bank and slid down a 37 degree bank of plywood for about 25 feet. I wish I had been shaving my legs. I have a nive loonie sized scar on my knee from the hair being pulled out and burnt off at thesame time. Oh, and the fall speed was only 5 km / hour.
    They race up around Crater Lake... through the obsidian... now if THAT wouldn't be a bad fall, I'm not sure what would.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    They race up around Crater Lake... through the obsidian... now if THAT wouldn't be a bad fall, I'm not sure what would.
    Owwie! I took a bad spill on crushed obsidian once... I was pulling glass-like shards the size of a needle out of my hands for a few hours. Luckily I was wearing jeans, otherwise I would have been doing the same thing to my back side. The only thing worse that I can remember was stepping on the spikes of a palm frond when I was wearing flip flops.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Have you tried the current run of New X-Men with Grant Morrison writing? Great stuff, even if you think comics are dumb and retarded. Grant takes the mutant outcast theme to a new level with the Riot at Xavier's storyline. The Frank Quitely art helps, too.

I'm afraid X2 will be dumb, though I hope I'm wrong. I don't have any desire to go see the film, but if the reviews come back relatively positive, then I might go see it. I read "God Loves, Man Kills," back when I was a teen-ager, and I thought it was an okay story. Sort of preachy, like typical Chris Claremont writing, but still pretty good. I don't need to see this comic on the big screen.

Speaking of which, what do you all think of the deluge of Marvel Comics films hitting the big screen? Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Hulk... and there are more planned for the coming 24 months. I hope you are enjoying them - I know I enjoyed Spider-Man last year, but that may have been due to the fact that I was drunk when I saw it. Marvel Comics is trying to break free from bankruptcy, they have a debt of over $200 million, and to get out of that whole as soon as possible, Marvel is producing as many movies as it can. With successes like Blade, X-Men, and Spider-Man (was Daredevil a hit?), Marvel is banking its life on the success of these films and others.

I am waiting for the day when Marvel drops its effects-laden films for something more tolerable, something like Ghost World, which was a fine film. However, since Marvel's staple crops of comics is dependent on the whole tights and underwear super hero genre, I doubt we'll get anything as good as Ghost World.

Originally posted by donk
    I have never been a fan of Xmen comics, seem to flaky and moralistic, without having an underlying bit of filth involved.

For a really good comic movie adaptation see ghost world.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Nope, I can't get over it being teh Xmen. I am also somewhat scared of becoming a "fan boy", my geek tendencies are going through a resurgence right now, must fight some temptations.

Who cares if daredevil was a hit, it was one of the better comic book based adaptations. It did what it was supposed to (at least to me) as I am actually buying it regularily now, and I hate super hero books.

For really good daredevil stories, pick up the trade paper backs of Frank Millers work with the character from the early 80's.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Here you go Kel....for Rob.

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Hee! Thanks Tim. That was tremendous. Rob was so relieved when I woke up this morning and felt ok for the first time all week. Every so often he'll drop me an email "How're you feeling" as in "Ok enough to sit through a movie tonight?" hee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So I saw the xmen Sunday night... it wasn't too bad. There were some fairly cool parts to it and the special effects were really good. My boyfriend really enjoyed it though... I think it's more of a "guy" type movie.

So did you make it to the movie Kel? Or did you somehow get to skip out at the last minute?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I agree with your summation. We went on Saturday, and it was good, but a little thin on plot and super thick on action. Which the special effects really were awesome, but i definitely liked the first one better.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ditto to the two above posts.

I also have 2 questions:

how can you kill Wolverine?

and two, if you want to see it stop here...

was that a phoenix under the water in the last image?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    On a What was I thinking note:

Putting the RAM backwards surely doesn't make the computer work well... :P

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Habanero
    ditto to the two above posts.

was that a phoenix under the water in the last image?
    i think it was. neither rob nor I could believe the movie ended that way. we both turned to each other and said "What the hell!!!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I saw x men last night. It was better then I expected, but not that good. I see a spin off for wolverine coming.

As for the phoenix...

If I remember right from my geek university roomates, Jeanne Grey's evil alter ego alternate persona takes the form of the phoenix. If you had not mentioned it I probably would not have noticed.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Thinking about a PhD
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jun 2012, 7:52 PM
  2. Thinking outside of the big box
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 10:12 AM
  3. Thinking of a PhD