Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bay Area Planning

Bay Area Planning

A longtime forum reader, here goes my first post:

I will be starting my MCP at Berkeley in the Fall and am looking for paid planning work in the Bay Area for the summer. Yes, I know the Bay Area job market is tremendously weak and I am fully aware that nobody really wants to hire someone with BA, especially without even GIS training. Nonetheless, I've noticed that the planners on these boards tend to be both knowledgeable and well connected, so I thought I might augment my more traditional search (which isn't turning up many opportunities) with this shot in the dark.

Any suggestions?

Noah Brick
    Columbia College 2003
    Last edited by Political Economizer; 27 Apr 2003 at 4:11 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you start looking now, you may still find something by summer. Send e-mails or call the local Planning Agencies (there are tons out there), and aske if there are going to be any paid internships this summer. Call your Department Advisor at Berkeley, and ask if there are any postings for internships... cities near college towns often will send job requests straight to the professors (easy recruiting! I got two good planning jobs during a recession through this method).

There's an internship open with ABAG. http://www.abag.ca.gov/about_abag/

Look for State agencies that are planning-related for additional intership possibilities. I interned for the California Coastal Commission (which is based in S.F.)... it was a good place to start.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Memphis area planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Mar 2011, 11:10 AM
  2. Planning employment opportunities in D.C. area
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jun 2010, 3:18 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2008, 11:58 AM