Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Smoking bans, now fragrance bans?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Smoking bans, now fragrance bans?

When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I once had a lady call me because she couldn't come to a public hearing because she had this multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome, so she wanted to know how to submit coments via mail. It sounds like a made up disease to me, so I agree with the National Institute of Environmental Health Science. Just because you are annoyed by purfume doesn't mean you have some syndrome. My guess is that there are very few people who acually have this syndrome (if it exists) and everyone else just thinks they have it because purfume makes them sneeze.

Now if they would have a special counter for those with dumpster breath, that would make me happy, but only if I didn't have to work that counter.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I personally find heavy perfume use to be annoying. On the other hand, I am not going to advocate "scent free" as it is unlikely to actually be so on a hot, humid Wisconsin day. Still, I have encountered certain perfumes to which I have a strong allergic reaction - so bad that my eyes tear and I have difficulty breathing. Does that mean I advocate assigning special seating areas for degrees of fragrance usage? Get real.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Personal Scent Zones.

I have a reaction within minutes if a client has a cat at home. Damn Cats! They are my Kryptonite.

After we nail the smokers to the wall, let's ban those critters. Then we go after the democrats....then we get the...whoops, sorry...I smelt blood in the water, and frankly I enjoy a feeding frenzy.

In all seriousness, as a child I was miserable in church due to all the fresh flowers and my parentís inability to accept my lack enthusiasm for all things Catholic. Cats and Catholicism; not my cup of tea.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't know if 100% scent free is reasonable, but scent reduction should be advocated. I work with a guy that wears so much cologne sometimes that you can smell him throughout the entire office. The worst part is that his choice of cologne makes my eyes water and sneeze.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I think every office I have worked in has been designated scent-free. I know co-workers have been taken aside and asked to lay off the colonge/perfume. Scent-free places are pretty common around here esp. hospitals and schools.

I am not really sensitive to scents but from time to time there is are certain scents (sandalwood is one) which make me sneeze and my eyes water. I usually try to get some fresh air. I remember one customer who used to some to my office, she wore so much perfume that I started to meet with here in the boardroom just so my office wouldn't be contaminated for the rest of the day.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There is a state Vocational Rehab office on the first floor of our building. On their door is a big sign which says if you are using anything scented (shampoo, deodorant, hand lotion, etc), ring the bell and someone will come outside to see you. You can't go in because the receptionist is "allergic". What a crock. I for one would be totally ticked if I'd just driven across the county for an appointment and had to stand in the building lobby because I was considerate enough to take a shower that morning. I wonder what this woman's co-workers do about it?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm one of those "allergic" people, but generally perfumes, colognes and the aftermath of scented laundry products on others don't bother me. I don't use fabric softener, don't wear colognes, and I try to avoid scented products; many seem to have a rose-like scent that I don't have much tolerance for.

Occasionally, the gag reflex will kick in when I encounter an elderly woman who is drenched in 1930s style rose-scented perfume. Sense of smell deteriorates with age, and some old folks slap on more perfume to compensate. Contemporary spicy perfumes and colognes don't bother me. I'm not allergic to roses, ironically, although I don't appreciate the smell like most others. The concentrated smell in Depression-era perfumes, though, especially in heavy senior citizen-sized doses .. ack!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    A word from the allergic: There are certain perfumes that will trigger my asthma within seconds or trigger a migraine (sometimes both!). A co-worker thought I was exagerating the fact that I am allergic to many perfumes until she saw me have an asthma attack in a public meeting within 2 minutes of a woman wearing a ton of heavy perfume walking in. I take necessary precautions (antihistimines & inhalers), but frankly I think my right to breathe and not have a screaming headache takes precedence over someone else's desire to smell like a perfume factory, although "scent-free zones" are probably unrealistic. Perhaps a public info campaign: "If you can smell your own perfume, you've put on too much!" Rant over.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Can I make City Hall a "No B.O. Zone"?

I mean, some of these occasional bathers smell so bad I have to fart a couple times just so I can stand to be in my office...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    Can I make City Hall a "No B.O. Zone"?

I mean, some of these occasional bathers smell so bad I have to fart a couple times just so I can stand to be in my office...
    Yeah, it would be nice if everyone would bathe before they came to the office... and maybe a shave once in a while.

So how can we work 'shaving' into every thread today?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    So how can we work 'shaving' into every thread today?
    Is this the totally non random thread, or a theme day?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I propose a shaving theme day (in honor of Mastiff, the King of Smooth).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    I propose a shaving theme day (in honor of Mastiff, the King of Smooth).
    The fact that you have this tidbit stored in your memory banks has me worried indeed...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok this ticked me in a weird way, I have multiple chemical sensitivitie-it SUCKS and its not made up though I think many folks lable themselves as that with out any medical proof.

I suffer from deadly reactions to a group of chemicals/products: paint, paint thinner, formaldehyde etc. before I can smell it-it can kill me with little or no warning. I am listed as a "disabled" person becouse of these deadly reactions and the problems i can once in a while encounter in day to day life.

I have to be mindful of anyone Painting, replacing carpets, tile, professional bug killers, new pressed wood, anything where dead things are preserved with formaldehyde. I could not participate in bio classes where dissection of preserved animals was taking place, i had to use fresh or not at all.

You must undergo testing and much consultation with various docs before you can be correctly diagnosed with MCS-and face the rest of your life with that medic alert braclet. People with MCS are said to be like the canary in the mine shaft, we are alerts that too much/many chemicals are in peoples day to day living environment. Unfortunatly one of the hallmarks of MCS is once you have one cluster of things your allergic to it grows and starts to take on other things, like mine has branched into foods that have some of the same compounds in them: kiwi, mango and seafood are like a bullet.

Some folks im sure take advantage of this but it IS a real problem for a very small number of people.

http://www.california.com/~hawk/MCS-Ammunition.htm

http://www.disabilitystudies.com/MCS_Reources.htm

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/multipl...sensitivities/
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    The fact that you have this tidbit stored in your memory banks has me worried indeed...
    OK, now that I've cleaned the Diet Coke off the keyboard....

What can I say? I'm scarred for life.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    What can I say? I'm scarred for life.
    On this particular matter... better you than me!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 03 Mar 2011, 10:10 PM
  2. Black Hawk, CO bans bikes
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5