Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Attached files

Registered
    Aug 2001

Attached files

Over the last few days any photos that I attach haven't been showing as a photo in the posts. You have to click on the link to then see the photo. Is this a new thing with cyburbia, or have I somehow inadvertently changed my IE settings? Because if there is a way to get it back to showing the photos (and not the little photo icon with a link), I'd much prefer that...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    See point #2 here: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...&threadid=6905
    Thanks... I read through that, but for some reason it didn't process.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll have to see what bandwidth consumption is like next month before I consider the return of attached image display in Forum threads. Consider a thread that has two or three 50K images that's viewed about 400 times - that's 30 to 60 megs of bandwidth, depending on the cache settings of the folks viewing. Really not a lot, but it adds up.

If folks complain a lot, I'll return attached image display ... but I'll expect people to buy more Cyburbia t-shirts to help pay for the bandwidth.

Of course, you can still attach images, but you have to click to display them.

You can also reference an image on another Web site using vBulletin IMG tags, and display it inline with your post; Cyburbia bandwidth won't be consumed. Many sites, though, don't allow crosslinking images, so an image might not display properly.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is there a way to change the display after... lets say, 21 days? So if you attach a photo it will display in the post for a few weeks and then archive itself. I don't know... just an idea.

Also, does the same bandwidth problem happen if we post to the gallery and then do an IMG link in the post? If it doesn't mess with the bandwidth, I'll probably just start doing that when attaching files.

Oh yeah... and I'm planning on buying some gear before going out to the CIP... especially one of those coffee thermos mugs. I'll need one of those to get me through the affordable housing intensive training sessions I'm going to.

Dan -

Would it work if someone uploaded their image to their personal photo gallery, then use an image reference to have the photo show up?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Nevermind - I answered my own question. Looks like that works fine. I guess if you have a funny picture you want displayed you could upload to the gallery, then delete it after the thread has run its course.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by jtfortin

Nevermind - I answered my own question. Looks like that works fine. I guess if you have a funny picture you want displayed you could upload to the gallery, then delete it after the thread has run its course.
    Uploading something to the gallery and then referencing it in a post still sucks bandwidth, but it might be appropriate for certain threads; the Cities and Places forum where you have multiple photos in one post, for instance. It shouldn't be a substitute to a plain old post where you just attach one image, though.

vBulletin doesn't have a feature that automatically un-displays the image after a certain period; I don't think any bulletin board package does.

Next month, I'll look at the bandwidth, and see how we're doing.

Maybe you could charge 1 cent per post for all of the Cyburbia regulars, retroactive to when we joined. Bturk would probably fund a year of hosting himself

My guess is that many of the photos that are attached are downloaded from websites, then re-attached because people are unaware of how to reference an image.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I should pay you guys for posting; you're providing content to the site, after all.

Maybe a grant from the APA ... do they offer such a thing? Hello ... Chicago?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Personal GIS files
    Information Technology
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 5:26 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Jan 2007, 12:51 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Apr 2006, 9:44 PM
  4. attached vs. detached housing
    Land Use and Zoning