Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: drug testing

Registered
    Apr 2002

drug testing

All right, here's a different kind of question - I have checked out some job listings for interns and junior-level planners in Wisconsin, where I will start a Masters program this Fall - and have noticed that several of the municipalities have drug-testing as a condition for employment.

Is this common in the communites that you all work in? I'm no druggie (though have inhaled in the past and enjoyed it) - just curious since I only know of a handful of people who have ever had to take a drug test for a job. Period. Maybe that's just the Northeast.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I came to my current place of employment in 1995 and had to be tested (as do all prospective employees) and have no idea how long before that time that it was required. The process was pretty humiliating and was not helped by the fact that we were all running around in hospital gowns in the middle of the public health department.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The only time an employer requested me to take a drug test was when I was in the Army. Very few Wisconsin communities that I know require drug tests, although some may require physicals. I think it may be more common in large cities. A few will also say it may be a requirement of employment, but not ask for the test. Of course, I work in a laid-back city. A couple years ago we were growing our own $3 million crop.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Its not unusual, but not common place. I think Mike is right - larger communities require it. Maybe the boss just wants to knoew if you're fun!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I used to refuse to apply to places that required it, but now it is so common. It is a good idea...drugs should be tested 'cause there is a lot of bad stuff out there.

drugs are bad m'kay

Has anyone been drug tested after the initial hiring test? An unanounced test.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: drug testing

Originally posted by Greenescapist
    [BIs this common in the communites that you all work in? I'm no druggie (though have inhaled in the past and enjoyed it) - [/B]
    I had a drug test for a planning job in Colorado. It was the real deal ... go into an empty bathroom, and urinate into a cup with a thermometer attached to it.

I didn't have a drug test for the current job, but I had to sign a pledge that I wouldn't use drugs, and that I would submit to random drug testing.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had a drug test for my job in Vancouver. I can't remember if I had to for any other jobs. I had a full sceening (fingerprinted, etc.) for Davis... but I don't recall a drug test. I've never been screened after the initial hire date.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    its probably about 50/50 around here. I think alot of places don't bother with them because of the cost and the relative ease in beating the "regular" tests.

My opinion on drug tests....if you're gonna do them, do them like we did in the Marines. Go through the barracks at 3am on a Saturday night and get your samples. The funny thing with drug tests is they may pick up pot for a month but you could've been shooting up heroin or doing lines on the weekend and if your test is like say....the following Thursday or Friday, you'll probably get away with it.

Registered
    May 2002
    I work for a small town and we get tested both as a condition of new employment and randomly. I was just tested a few weeks ago. From what I hear, it all started because they wanted to test several of the public works employees because a problem was suspected and to be "fair" every employee is subject to testing. I almost "failed" my first test because you are told to fill up the vial to a certain point and then finish in the toilet, but don't flush. Well, out of habit I flushed and the lady comes bursting in and says "what are you doing!" I'm like OMG! I'm sorry! I guess it all worked out because they hired me anyway.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    For both my government jobs, in SC and NY we had to do a drug test, and for the NY gov't job, we had a full physical (eyes ears, blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc - almost more comprehensive than my doctor's annual physical, minus the PAP and breast exam, of course)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    for most of my jobs you have had to have drug tests that included some little old lady with a sourpuss mouth watching you do the whole thing-talk about pressure!

the last city i worked for made you take a WHOLE physical including girl and boy parts. i was PISSED~!

i have a blood sugar problem and they made yuo do the whole no eating after midnight thing and then scheduled my blood work for 9 am. i told them i had a problem with that but they did not care and i passed out on them. then to be told they are going to do a complete phys-i think NOT i refused to let the city doc touch me beyond taking my blood pressure etc. i think it was illigal as hell as they were testing for things that had no basis to effect my job-they were self insured and did nto want their ins rates to go up!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Like Stumph, the army (well, reserves) has been the only employer that has subjected me to a drug test. In fact, they were the only employer to subject me to a physical too.

I couldn't imagine needing a physical for a planning job...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    We have to get the works done pre-employment: drug test & full physical. What really pissed me off about the physical, besides the whole invasion of privacy thing, was that I had undergone a physical 2 months prior & they wouldn't accept those records. The physical is given under the ruse of the pension program. "Safety sensitive" employees are subject to random testing, but I don't think that includes planners, just supervisors of planners.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I had a physical and criminal record check for my current position. Pretty commonplace for NH.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2003
    This whole subject just pisses me off...So to speak...

Previous job had to get a commercial driver license. Random UA's with the agreement that they could only do one every 6 months so once the test was done it was like...this is my chance-Let's Party!!!!

Before this job I was so unemployed that I went to WalMart to apply, I got the initial interview, they sent me for my UA and I never heard from them again. I am certain that I was clean.

This job, yes UA, I just hate them, it is such an invasion.

Boy, this is long.

Another icky thing that happened during a work physical. Creepy DR. no one in town would take their dog to. Of course he is the company DR. They request no underwear but they are not going to do a PAP, hospital gown open back. DR says turn around and touch your toes. I give him a you have to be kidding look. He says you want the job turn around and touch your toes. Had I not been young and in need of the job, I would have squarely told him off.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

I have only had one job where they drug tested and it was an internship in Wisconsin, as Greenescapist mentioned in his post.

My last 2 places of employment have not required one.

Mike D brought up a great point about Heroin and Cocaine being out of your system after a week or so. These are the drugs that would probably interfere with workplace performance, while I don't believe that recreational pot use on the weekends would affect performance much.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2001
    I haven't been drug tested since college athletics. Are you concerned about the testing? If you have nothing to hide, then the testing is no big deal.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    I Heroin and Cocaine...are the drugs that would probably interfere with workplace performance...
    With cocaine, productivity would increase.

while I don't believe that recreational pot use on the weekends would affect performance much.
    jfortin, you are talking about work performance, correct?!?
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Maybe the bar and beer industry is behind all this drug testing in Wisconsin. I can see them urging eveyone to get their buzz from Miller.

Thanks for all of the replies! In the future when I apply for planning jobs, I'll exercise caution in the weeks before. And, yeah, all of you Wisconsin planners- there are quite a few of you, please forget that I ever asked this question!

Originally posted by prudence
    jfortin, you are talking about work performance, correct?!?
    ....um.....yeah...work performance.

Although there are some residents and business owners that could use a toke or two to mellow them out.

I guess I have no problems with drug testing, since I am not on drugs. Now if they would only have employment screening tests that can check for incompetence, laziness, and whether or not an applicant is an a-hole.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i have no problems with drug testing, ive never done anything and dont plan to start *yes im a square*

its the whole take off all your clothing and let us touch you in ways that have nothing to do with your job that bother me. I had a normal phys just months before too and they refused to take it they also refused to release to me copies of all their records on me-i called a lawyer and what do yuo know suddenly i got them. i think its a power thing and a major invasion of privacy and it pisses me off

the doc that did my phys did get told off when he wanted to do a breast exam-pig!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I think I inhaled twice when I was in high school 20-some years ago (God, I'm getting old ), and drugs have just never appealed to me, so personally, (except for false positives), testing wouldn't effect me . . .

BUT, I am a little bothered by the intrusiveness. I really don't see how pot is any worse than having a few beers, let alone getting sloshed.

My current employer doesn't even let you have a glass of wine or a beer with a "business lunch."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I had a drug test for all of my jobs, even non-paid intensips. My current job sent the paperwork to Texas and had me drug test within 48 hours of getting the paperwork.

I hate drug tests, even when I'm sure I'll come up negative, I still sweat it thinking "what if...."
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Originally posted by BKM
    BUT, I am a little bothered by the intrusiveness. I really don't see how pot is any worse than having a few beers, let alone getting sloshed.
    Agreed. There is no such thing as a pot hangover, but speaking from experence it SUCKS to work with a hangover and my productivity goes way down.

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Testing new avatars
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jul 2002, 10:00 AM