Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best Grad School for Urban Design?

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2003

Best Grad School for Urban Design?

I'm considering going to grad school for Urban Design. I originally intented on doing architecture, but my research has created a greater interest in this field. What are some of the best schools to go to for Urban Design? What' does that job market look like in that field? What are career options?

Thanks!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it's awesome that you are interested in studying urban design. But be sure to think about your employment prospects with the MUD. Think about this: Who's more competitive in the job market? A grad with an MUP or a grad with an MArch that took some urban design studios? I think it's the latter. That way, you fulfill your personal interests while obtaining a degree that is meaningful. I know the University of Michigan has many opportunities for MArch students to take urban design courses while fullfilling the requirements for the MArch degree. Dean Dough Kelbaugh has done a great job of integrating the new urban design program into the architecture and urban planning curricula. PM me if you want to know more. I'm a recent U of M urban planning grad who took many of the interdisciplinary urban design courses and studios.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I've heard that the University of Washington in Seattle has a good urban design program. They have planning and architecture programs, too, so it's probably pretty well-rounded.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am about to graduate with MArch from Texas Tech. I have always been interested in urban design/planning. I managed to make the last few years of school more urban design oriented (ud studios, urban theory, electives) than architecture oriented and my thesis was an urban design project. I have read almost all of the standard/basic planning books and am well versed in historic and contemporary urban design/planning theories and issues. I am now job hunting. I want to be both an architect (housing) and a planner, and eventually a developer. How do I best start my career? Do I start in just architecture until I get my license and then seek planning work? Do I have to go back to school and get an UD/P degree? etc.?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 12:11 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 10:18 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 27 Mar 2007, 3:27 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 12:21 PM