Urban planning community

Poll results: Should planners take the AICP?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, you need to take it

18 48.65%
  • No, it is a waste of time

6 16.22%
  • There is no AICP, it is a myth

6 16.22%
  • Other, (explain below)

7 18.92%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: to AICP or not to AICP....

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Re: AICP

Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    The CED ceased to exist two years ago, as did the Ec.D.
    I laughed at that when I took the survey too. I have the EDFP but heck I knew the story with the others. What were the survey folks really trying to do? I think they just blew it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    take the test if you are able.

I took the AICP a few years ago, and having done some minor amount of studying for it, was able to pass with relative ease.

It may not be required for jobs. It may never be what gets me into a new or better position.

However, if state certification of planners becomes a requirement sometime in the future (as was being discussed in Texas a few years ago), than such certification will likely be based on AICP (unless the state board of Realtors gets their way and forces all of us to get Real Estate licenses).

I figure, if such a requirement is mandated in the future, I might already be covered and not have to worry about taking a test on a bunch of things I learned in school twenty years after my last class. .

AICP or not

I agree that AICP may not be as relevant as it could be. I also believe that it does show a level of competency and could make a long term difference in job searches. I have looked at resumes, hired, and fired for over 20+ years. Many times I get a large stack of resumes and have maybe 5-10 minutes per resume to review. I am always looking for something to distinguish one canditate as being possible and deserving of more careful scrutiny. AICP certification, education, length of job tenure, and overall experience are my main ppints to review. I have hired other professionals (architects, landscape professionals, urban designers, and others) and try to look at what their certifications are.

Registered
    May 2003
    Yes if you are young. No if you are old. I'm not going to define "young" or "old."

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    It really depends where you are.... in my area... I really needed the AICP .. it is a requirement for the better jobs.. but I used to work in central ny... and it really didnt matter.

I just read a years worth of Planning mags.. and the test was not too difficult. I took it about 4-5 years ago.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2002
    well...

would you rather not take it and find you need it
    or
    take it and decide later that you really did not need it
    (it's only a few hours for the test and maybe a little prep work)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  2. AICP in May??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 10:18 AM
  3. Are you AICP?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14