Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Education Advice Needed

Education Advice Needed

Is it possible to possible to put one's self through architecture undergrad? I have not been able to find one that encourages or is supporting to students who must work their way through. Also, student loans are not an option: right now I'm in the midst of settling some credit card fraud that was committed against me and thus, until it is settled, the loan companies will see me as a frightening prospect. I don't know what my next step should be regarding education and thus if you have any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Education Advice...Federal Loans and Work Study

Try talking to the financial reps at the school you want to go to first. They will have the best and most accurate information about financing your education.
    Also, it is my understanding that Federally guaranteed loans do not depend on good credit. I have lousy credit and am financing my education with loans and grants...state and federal.
    You should consider work study too. You might get lucky and actually work in an architectural firm. Great way to network and gain experience.

First...go talk to the financial aid representative at your school. They have all the information right there and can guide you through the process.

Good Luck!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am pretty sure that federal student loans do not depend on your credit. I also have bad credit and I was able to get lots of money to pay for grad school (a very expensive private school).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Also, if you have a pretty good portfolio and GPA, you may want to check out Cooper Union in NY -- zero tuition, a great Arch school, but very tough admissions.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Northeastern University

Check out Northeastern University's program in Boston. I am not sure of its reputation in the field, but I know several professors there who do great work. I mention it because NU is a co-op school where students typically attend for five years, alternating classes with paid internships in their field. Students don't pay tuition while they are on co-ops, either. Could be a way to put yourself through school.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2005, 12:45 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Jun 2005, 8:07 PM
  3. a little advice needed
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jun 2003, 1:08 PM
  4. Advice on education
    Student Commons