Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by the worst date thread....

Registered
    Feb 2002

Inspired by the worst date thread....

She was so dull she had nothing to talk about except how all these guys wanted her. Unless she was hanging out at the school of the blind and deaf, I knew it was a lie.
    She looked NOTHING like the picture she had sent me. She was over weight, sort, bleach blond hair, and one dark uni-brow.
    He turns up in tight black jeans and boots (tight, tapered jeans make me shudder),
    These comments in the worst date thread made me curious to know what other people find *attractive*? I'm not talking playmate material, but your average girl/guy on the street. What floats your boat? Granted beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that other happy horse shit, but we all have our "standards". For example, Mike told us why he wasn't happy with his date, but jfortin, what made your date fugly?

Also, how much does personality play a part in a persons appearance? Say you (and I mean everyone here) go on a date, and the person wasn't that attractive, but otherwise was awesome - they had the best personality, good head on their shoulders, good job, goals, etc. etc. etc. Would you automatically discount someone as relationship material because of looks?

And, I've heard it said that people are attracted to their "equal". For example, if you think your a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, then you are subconsciously attracted to people that are also 5's. Do you think this is true?

((By the way, I think the comments were hilarious, so I'm not trying to pick on anyone ))

Registered
    Oct 2000
    One of the very first things that attracted me to my husband was how he smelled - no cologne, no aftershave. he just smelled good to me, maybe it was his deodorant.

As for dating your attractiveness equal, I can generally believe it. You'll see 5's and 7's together, but honestly, when you see a 4 and a 9 together, don't you kind of wonder what's going on there?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Inspired by the worst date thread....

Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    And, I've heard it said that people are attracted to their "equal". For example, if you think your a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, then you are subconsciously attracted to people that are also 5's. Do you think this is true?
    I'm not so sure. I had an ex who used to always say that, but after I sobered up and finally got a good look at her I could only think "Who was she trying to kid?" And thus we ended our six month drunken hook-up.

As for what I find attractive...My physical type (If I had one) back in the day was the the little perky athletic brunettes. As I got a little older, and wiser, I discovered that I really don't have a type beyond natural beauty. However, I've found myself attracted to, and liking, REAL women. The kind with curves and some junk in the trunk.

Personality is very important, if they're mot smart, ambitious and witty with a good head on their shoulders, then I'm not interested.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'l weigh in here with a few thoughts, but may add more later.

I find myself attracted to a fairly broad range of women, some more attractive and some less. Personality is extremely important. A very attractive b*tch is still a b*tch. On the other hand, I would have to be honest and say that there is a point at which looks come into play as well. Personality can't make up for 300 pounds.

I don't think I have a certain preferred hair color or anything like that. Maybe the ways in which a person carries themselves are the cues I notice. A nice smile goes a long way. I also like it when a woman wears no, or little make-up. I get to see the real person, and it is also a cue that they are likely to match my personality.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Attractive is like art, you just know it when you see it. I don't have any set "standards", like tall, blonde, whatever. Some guys look just "OK" at first but become really cute when you get to know them. One guy I dated for years first caught my attention when I heard him speak; he had the sexiest voice I have ever heard in my life.

On the other hand, there are some things not related to their genetic makeup that I won't deal with: guys who think it's OK for them to gain a bunch of weight in their 30's and 40's but want only thin women; guys who wear sports team apparel everywhere they go; guys who are obsessive about their cell phones.

And yes, I think most of us go for someone who's about the same in looks. I think I've seen results of studies in the newspaper that show the most successful relationships are between people who agree they're at the same "attractivemess" level.

I think that you have to be somewhat physicaly attracted to a person in order to make a relationship work. I am not trying to sound shallow, but I would guess that eveyone on here with a significant other or spouse is physically attracted to them.

As for my blind date, she was very very large. Her face was yucky. She had terrible hair. I could go on and on, but It might get nasty. I won't repeat the drunken description I gave my roommate when I came home. To top it off, her personality matched her looks. She also seemed to be a compulsive liar. When I saw her, I knew instantly that I would never have a 2nd date with her.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003

Would you automatically discount someone as relationship material because of looks?
    wow. what an expression.

Hey Butch, hand me some of this relationship material, I need to get something going on.

Reply:
    dunno. I'd say that personality is the most important part of it in the long run, but I'd call any guy a liar who says he doesn't think boobs are no eyecatcher.

Originally posted by Downtown
    As for dating your attractiveness equal, I can generally believe it. You'll see 5's and 7's together, but honestly, when you see a 4 and a 9 together, don't you kind of wonder what's going on there?
    To quote Nelly "Heeeey must be the money!"
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001

Inspired by the "Inspired by the Worst Date Thread"

A quote:

"dunno. I'd say that personality is the most important part of it in the long run, but I'd call any guy a liar who says he doesn't think boobs are no eyecatcher."

Chris's comment got me wondering. What is the body part that catches your eye when you are scoping out the opposite sex? Be honest, now, and don't give us any of that mushy "pretty smile" crap (like I did in the other thread). What is it boobies? Boo-tay? Long silky hair? Fess up.

Mod Note: I merged these two threads. Planderella

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Anyone who knows me (my wife included) knows I like a healthy chest.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The boo-tay all the way!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    favorite Body part?

thighs on guys

tushies too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm with Downtown. Smell is pretty important.

Registered
    Oct 2000

Originally posted by SW MI Planner

Would you automatically discount someone as relationship material because of looks?
    To some extent, I think yes. How you take care of your appearance says a lot about you. I would definitely not count a Charles Manson (or Marilyn Manson for that matter) as relationship material. Just like some men would completely discount a woman with Tammy Faye Baker makeup.

I also don't (didn't) have a type. Smart, funny guys, I guess. Looks are important, but they'll only get you so far. Eventually you have to talk to each other, and you have to like what they've got to say.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm really not attracted to drop-dead gorgeous types ... yeah, nice to look at, but I'm realistic. I see 'em as inaccessible, so I don't find myself getting hot and bothered over the hot. I'm a 6 ... usually, people date others that are within a point of themselves on the Systeme International d'Unites d'Attraction.

I find myself attracted to girl-next-door types, maybe with a bit of a "sexy librarian" look. Tina Fey and Jan Smithers ... oh yeah! Jeanae Garafalo is another woman of my dreams. I'm partial to brunettes and redheads, although I really don't care about hair color.

This may be politically incorrect, but I'll admit it. I'm 5'10", and weigh in between 165 and 170 pounds. I'm not a drop-dead gorgeous hunk, and I don't expect the women I date to have perfect bodies; I'm not necessarily attracted to "Barbie" types. Still, though, I don't want to feel "outsized" when I'm on a date. Just as most women prefer dating men who are taller than they are, I'm instinctively attracted to women who are smaller than me.

Superficially, there are certain things that are a big turn-off ... a matronly, plain appearance, and a haggard, weather-beaten Appalachian or Confederate hardness among them.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Nice, thick hair, sharp eyes and a small ass are more important to me than boobs - but I do notice them of course.

For some reason, I don't know why, I'm attracted to smallish women, 5'2-5'5, with dark hair and features. My long term girlfriend in college was the same height as me, 6'0 - which was certainly made some things interesting, but I don't think I could date someone that tall anymore.
    Last edited by Greenescapist; 08 May 2003 at 1:15 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    I'm a 6 ...
    Really?! Are you on hotornot.com?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Beaner
    Really?! Are you on hotornot.com?
    I posted a pic on there a while ago....just checked...apparently I'm an 8.6.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2003

guys

tall guys get me bubbly
    then face
    and confidence is really important. not cocky or arrogant, but confident. Someone who enjoys life and knows what they want and it shows.

did I mention height?

laid back but responsible
    goal oriented but not obsessive
    same interests help alot
    non-addictive personalities, healthy but not a meathead
    masculinity
    i like a little pot belly

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There have only been a few times that I have just gone gaga over a guy and had to date him based solely on his looks. Both times they were middle eastern. Dark hair is a big attraction, as is dark skin.

I find my current boyfriend incredibly attractive (and did before I had even met him based on a picture he sent me)... he has light skin that tans well, dark hair and blue eyes.

The first things I find attractive on a man? Good hair, broad shoulders/decent pipes, nice bum. I think little spare tires are sexy, so I am generally attracted to guys in their 30s/40s...

Bad hair (not necessarily receding hair... just ill-maintained/unhealthy looking hair), chicken legs, and the chinless are things that I don't find attractive.

Edit: I'm a fairly tall person (5'9"), so guys shorter than 5'7" or so don't usually attract me much.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I posted a pic on there a while ago....just checked...apparently I'm an 8.6.
    Trust me ladies... he's a cutie! Probably the closest of the cyburbanites I've met to being "my type". If your hair was a little darker and you borrowed bturk's glasses for the night... watch out MaryPoppins!

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Trust me ladies... he's a cutie! Probably the closest of the cyburbanites I've met to being "my type". If your hair was a little darker and you borrowed bturk's glasses for the night... watch out MaryPoppins!
    I'm humbly flattered by your impression of me.

This is the pic on hotornot....I guess it's OK....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Likes: “Cuteness” I'm with Dan about the girls next door (not nuts over Tina Fey though). A rounder face, glasses, preferably brunette, no particular ethnicity. Smaller in height but curvatious – I’m a skinny guy, I don’t want to be with a woman who has a body like mine (no jokes please). Also, intelligence, good sense of humor, modesty, friendly but not super-extroverted, and "classy" in a good way.

Dislikess: the tall, blond, chisled manequin look. Analyze it all you want – I don’t like tall girls (and they don’t like me). Cartoon character clothing, over-reliance on jogging pants or those colorful, strechy pants. That kind of long, curly, gelled-looking hair found on lots of dance club girls, an “I’m a bitch” attitude, a dumb sounding RI accent.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Ok now we are talking

I am looking for a woman who has grace and elegance, kind, caring, understanding, supportive, outgoing, optimistic, good back ground, opportunistic and goal oriented, kind of on the girly side, (ok more than kind of) yet she would be able to hang out and get dirty playing volley ball or foot ball.

She would also need to be active and fit, willing to at least try downhill skiing, NO CATS, wants a family some day and a romantic. Being Catholic would be a serious plus.

As for what she looks like, under 160 lbs, fit, great smile, under 6 feet tall, Blond or Red hair would be a bonus.

BUT, she if she is drop dead gorgeous, but dumb as a rock... that is a no go... and if she has a great personality, but hit every branch on the ugly tree, then that once again is a no go.

*I know, I am shallow
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 1998
    From an ancient song:
    I want a gal,
    just like the gal,
    that married dear old dad.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9