Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Sucks [formerly part of "Confession Time']

Everyday I'm finding more country music I like. NOT THE RADIO STUFF!!!!

My new country/bluegrass love! Allison Krauss

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by The Irish one

Me too! I've got two Krauss CD's in heavy rotation at work, as well as the Oh Sister, Where Art Thou CD.

Registered
    Nov 2002

I'm with ya. Something about a musically talented woman that is sooo... sexy. Plus, she's kinda hot.

As far as country music is concerned, I have really gotten into blugrass and alt country over the past 5-7 years and realized why I never liked country music before. Country music radio SUX...Banal, recycled crap. I swear that it's even worse than Top 40.

What artist are you finding these days?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Country, rock, or whatever: The radio just plain sucks. PERIOD!

Even worse are the stations managed by Clear Channel Communications. Want banal, meaningless, repetitive crap? Find a Clear Channel station and sit back. Ho hum.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Anyone have a satellite radio? I was thinking of getting one since the radio does suck so bad.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Anyone have a satellite radio? I was thinking of getting one since the radio does suck so bad.
    Yes. It rocks. I have an after market receiver in my car that connects to my factory stereo. Now I want a portable one for home too.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Beaner
    Country, rock, or whatever: The radio just plain sucks. PERIOD!

Even worse are the stations managed by Clear Channel Communications. Want banal, meaningless, repetitive crap? Find a Clear Channel station and sit back. Ho hum.
    Amen.

[Radio Sucks Rant]
    We have Brown U's station which used to be somewhat different but now plays the same crap over and over just like clear channel - and this is from one of the country's most distinguished universities. I can't imagine that any Brown students actually listen to it. For such a politically correct institution they sure have no problem playing angry-white-boy music 6 days a week and designating Sunday as Black music day. Any little college radio station is more diverse.

We also have the FNX radio network across 3 new england locations. The irony here is that the station is owned by the Alternative Weekly Boston Phoenix. The same company that in print thinks they are premier taste makers plays the same Godsmack songs over and over on their own channel.

While I'm at it - why are rock radio DJ's so into pot jokes? Pot's not that funny is it? Our local clear channel has dj's reporting from Amsterdam for pot related reasons.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    No ones' radio sucks as much as mine, trust me. We have a local FM Country channel and an AM channel. That's about all we pick up down here.

Beaner - I actually look forward being home to be able to listen to the radio up there.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    It's probably time to split this into a new thread. Regardless of how many stations you may have, radio stations suck in general. It seems like they're all owned by Clear Channel who's dead set on playing the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.................................
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Planderella
    It's probably time to split this into a new thread.
    So be it said the moderator.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Commercial radio is dominated by Clear Channel in the Bay Area, and you all know what that means There used to be a good FM station, but its reduced to the "All Korn, all the time" kinda programming

Luckily, I live near enough to decent college stations. I'm sure Nerudite remembers KDVS-it has some great programs (including a death metal program run by the manager of Armadillo Music! )

Still, I maybe listen to the radio 5% of the time. Thank God for CDs.

There are actually a couple of talk show hosts I like (on KGO-Gene Burns is a good, thoughtful "libertarian-liberal" guy who is actually interesting to listen to, but some of his callers, and those incessant AM Radio advertisements-ugh)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Are there commercials on satellite radio? I really think I'm going to get one, at least for work. Then one in the next vehicle purchase.

SO is Sirrus Satellite Radio a decent pick to buy into their stock? I've been up in the air on them for a while now....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've given up on radio for music entirely. I listen to Stern in the morning drive, and sports radio from Boston other than that (if my radio is even on).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

What artist are you finding these days?
    The other band I've been listening to is Nickel Creek. They're local to San Diego (where I live). They're very young and have got some serious creativity.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I've never heard of Clear Channel, but a search on google turned up this.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I've given up on radio for music entirely. I listen to Stern in the morning drive, and sports radio from Boston other than that (if my radio is even on).
    Dude...for a major metropolitan area...we have country (which I listen to the most if listening to the radio) or the all AC/DC all the time station...and of course hip hop/R&B but what fun is that on the radio?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The other band I've been listening to is Nickel Creek. They're local to San Diego (where I live). They're very young and have got some serious creativity.
    There's a great station here in da 'Burgh that plays Nickle Creek, Their cover of Pavement's "Spit on a Stranger" gets spun a lot. Anyway this station is a listner supported non-profit that plays all kinds of good (mostly) non-commercial alternative rock, (No Angry white suburban rap-metal) country (No Shania Twain) and hip-hop (No crappy Ja Rule/J-Lo). It's really about the only radio station I listen to on a regular basis.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by BKM
    There used to be a good FM station, but its reduced to the "All Korn, all the time" kinda programming

I'm sure Nerudite remembers KDVS-it has some great programs (including a death metal program run by the manager of Armadillo Music! )
    KDVS was awesome... I loved that station! I used to work next door at the Aggie. I used to snake all kinds of free albums and promo stuff from KDVS... and they had the coolest tshirts. I think the one of the burning flag/burning cash in the late 80s was the best one.

As for the Bay Area... what happened to Live 105? It used to be a good station.

It seems like alternative radio isn't all that alternative anymore. I was really disappointed the last time I listened to the End in Seattle, 91x in San Diego and KROQ in L.A. The only station worth listening to in Edmonton is The Bear... but it has a little too much classic rock for my taste. Overall, it's okay... the new music (like the White Stripes) is good, but I can really do without Rush and Kim Mitchell songs. If I hear that stupid "might as well go for a soda" song one more time, I swear I'll rip that radio right out of the dash.

Registered
    Jul 2002

radio

One of the best FM stations in the Akron area is WAPS which is run by the Akron PUBLIC SCHOOLS. They do a lot of on the fringe or progressive rock.

As far as country goes, I like John Prine (trailer park chic), Tom Russell (no relation), Jimmy Dale Gilmore and Iris DeMent.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by nerudite
    The only station worth listening to in Edmonton is The Bear... but it has a little too much classic rock for my taste. Overall, it's okay... the new music (like the White Stripes) is good, but I can really do without Rush and Kim Mitchell songs. If I hear that stupid "might as well go for a soda" song one more time, I swear I'll rip that radio right out of the dash.
    Speaking of crap from Canada that's somewhat on topic: I used to love watching MuchMusic on the satellite because they would play a lot of Canadian and European music that MTV or commercial radio would never broadcast (Matthew Good Band, Esthero, Morcheeba, Gomez, etc) But alas, they have morphed into MM-USA and now suck worse than MTV ever did.

On the country front, I also like John Prine, old Sun Volt and Uncle Tupalo, Steve Earle, and the Old '97's back when they were doing punk/thrash country.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

:-/

I think that this might be a good time to mention that my Dad is part owner, the program director, and a DJ for a radio net work (5 stations) in Upper Michigan.

Oh his country station, he does play Allison Kraus all the time... He removed the Dixie Chicks from the system, and his Top 40 station, well, it will rival anything that I have heard out here on the east cost.

Clear Channel Blows. I grew up with a good radio station...

If you do not like your Radio stations, call the station up, let them know what you would like to hear. Many of the Program Directors would be willing to modify the format to please the public.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

I rarley listen to music on the radio. Probably because music I like (indie, punk, britpop, and decent hip hop) is not on the radio. We have a local college station, WMSE which plays some good stuff, but not all the time.

When I am at work, I listen to a lof of talk radio (especially Tony Kornheiser and Dan Patrick). Also Microsoft has some great internet radio stataions, as well as Launch.com (you can even skip songs you don't like and inform them to never play that song or artist again.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Speaking of crap from Canada that's somewhat on topic: I used to love watching MuchMusic they would play a lot of Canadian and European music that MTV or commercial radio would never broadcast (Matthew Good Band, Esthero, Gomez, etc) But alas, they have morphed into MM-USA and now suck worse than MTV ever did.
    Yeah... I think they did that about two years ago, a little before I moved up here to Canada. In Canada we have MuchMusic, MuchMoreMusic, and MuchLoud (all hard rock). I usually end up watching MMM, which isn't too bad. They have a good 80s show call "reloaded" on a few times a day. MMUSA was pretty bad... with hardly any of the good Canadian content. You are so right that MM in the USA sucks. I'm not so keen on MTV Canada either... just doesn't feel the same. I don't have MMLoud, but I'm a little intrigued. I mostly listen to the radio stations on the digital cable these days.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: :-/

Originally posted by michaelskis
    If you do not like your Radio stations, call the station up, let them know what you would like to hear. Many of the Program Directors would be willing to modify the format to please the public.
    One of our radio stations just changed its name/format to 96X "the new rock alternative". You would *think* it would an alternative station... nope! It's kind of like adult-oriented soft alternative: Creed, lighter Chili Peppers, etc. I wrote them an e-mail saying WTF basically and giving them some format suggestions based upon other alternative radio stations in Canada. Nope... nothing new. I think they are programmed by the networks these days and there isn't much flexibility... at least it seems that way.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    I still have a gift card to an electronics big box retailer from Xmas that I haven't spent yet. I've been considering satelite radio, but really don't want to deal with maintaining yet another subscription/bill right now.

However, if one of the satelite radio providers adds Radioio Eclectic I would definately reconsider.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Confession time, Part II
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 463
    Last post: 03 Nov 2014, 10:24 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 7:20 PM
  4. Confession Time, Part III