Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you require color renderings?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Do you require color renderings?

For new commercial and mulitple family construction our application checklist states in part:

5. Elevation Drawings of proposed buildings or proposed remodeling of existing buildings showing finished exterior treatment, with adequate labels provided to clearly depict exterior materials, texture, color and overall appearance.

6. Perspective Renderings of the proposed project and/or photos of similar structures may be voluntarily submitted and may be required by the Plan Commission, but not in lieu of adequate drawings showing the actual intended appearance of the buildings.

7. Photo Simulations and 3-D virtual visualizations of the proposed project and/or photos of similar structures may be voluntarily submitted and may be required by the Plan Commission, but not in lieu of adequate drawings showing the actual intended appearance of the buildings.

Lately we've had a smattering of really poor quality hand colored elevation drawings turned in.

Our Plan Commission wants to tighten up the submittal requirements, but they want to stop short of requiring all renderings to be submitted by a registered architect.

Any suggestions?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Do you require color renderings?

Originally posted by Chet
    For new commercial and mulitple family construction our application checklist states in part:

[i]
    5. Elevation Drawings of proposed buildings or proposed remodeling of existing buildings showing finished exterior treatment, with adequate labels provided to clearly depict exterior materials, texture, color and overall appearance.

Any suggestions?
    Based upon the text provided I don't see where the applicant is "Required" to submit color renderings. Point 5 only requires "adequate labels provided to clearly depict exterior materials, texture, color and overall appearance. " My interpertation of this means it can be addressed using text. Maybe I am miss reading this or there are other references to color renderings not included, but then again maybe not.

Maybe you can include with the application materials recommendations that the renderings be "neatly colored" or "color renderings comparable to professional quality"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We always present them at meetings with PC and townships...give them an idea of what the product looks like.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Do you require color renderings?

Originally posted by JoshD
    Based upon the text provided I don't see where the applicant is "Required" to submit color renderings.
    Right. I guess what I'm fishing for is some objective standard for a minimal submittal quality.

And of course, its easier to ask the collective Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia TM than it is to think of them on my own.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We always require them. Now, maybe a minor facade change or something like that-we'll let it slip by. Something that requires a public hearing-particularly before the Planning Commission-we defintiely get them every time.

We are also now requiring applicants for major projects to submit the drawings as jpegs on disc. This allows us to easily integrate the images into the PowerPoint presentations that our Planning Commission now demands

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Chester, that is long for Chet right?

Are we talking legislative aplications or administrative.

I think it depends upon the use of the renderings? Do you want pretty pictures of what it "might" look like?

Or do you have clear design standards that the renderings are reviewed in light of?

Will the applicant be asked to condition or proffer or committ to these renderings?

Don't forget the little guy in all this. Architects and Land scape designers are expensive and simple renderings can cost into the thousands.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by gkmo62u

Don't forget the little guy in all this. Architects and Land scape designers are expensive and simple renderings can cost into the thousands.
    Holy crap! I agree with something you said. My mind has just been blown….
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Chester, that is long for Chet right?

Are we talking legislative aplications or administrative.

I think it depends upon the use of the renderings? Do you want pretty pictures of what it "might" look like?

Or do you have clear design standards that the renderings are reviewed in light of?

Will the applicant be asked to condition or proffer or committ to these renderings?

Let's not get confused here...applicants aren't required to submit perspective drawings. Just a color rendering of their project that is representational of the colors and materials.

A perspective is an expensive piece of artowrk of the project, but a rendering is generally a computer creation.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We require the elevation drawings to be clearly labeled with the materials and colors being proposed, then will also require that color swatches and material samples be presented to the PB.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We requrie "samples and/or descriptions of all materials for proposed exterior treatment"

In reality it does vary depending on whether its a big chain or an old-man barber shop. If we feel we need more info then we'll ask for it. There are too many struggling small businesses here to be too picky.

It's strange to me that some people here work in communities where large commercial projects are rejected outright due to their design - some communities reach a point where they can generally agree that design considerations are more important than the instant development.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 11:03 PM
  2. Replies: 65
    Last post: 20 Dec 2011, 8:45 AM
  3. Does UIC require the GRE?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Aug 2011, 2:07 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Oct 2007, 4:05 PM