Urban planning community

Thread: Songs you knew would end up in commercials the first time you heard them

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Songs you knew would end up in commercials the first time you heard them

Blur - Song Two. When I first heard it, I didn't know which band was responsible, or what the title was. All I knew was that the "Woo-Hoo Song," as many called it, would probably end up accompanying an SUV commercial someday. Sure enough, six months later, I heard the song in an SUV commercial, and a commercial for a ski resort.

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away. Just like "Song Two," when I first heard it, I immediately thought "that was definitely written to have the rights acquired for an SUV commercial." Yup ... heard it in a commercial for Xterras or 4Runners or something similar a short while after it made the charts. Like "Song Two," this song also accompanied commercials for some ski area in Colorado.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I swear I once heard a Black Sabath song in a Cadilac commercial.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Black Sabbath Song

Since getting stuch driving behind the typical Cadillac owner makes one curse and call for the devil, that would be very appropriate, EG.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Get this Party Started" by Pink. I've lost track of how many commercials I've heard use it.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2003
    Talk about commercilizing songs...
    What about what M. Jackson did after
    He bought the Beatles catalog?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Geggy Tah's "Driving in my Car"- as soon as I heard it nearly 5 years ago and then it's in a Mercedes commercial.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I think that Moby licensed every single song off of "Play" If you listen to the CD the whole thing sounds like a commercial. I guess he didn't like that, so on "18" he wouldn't license any of them.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Joplin doing "Oh Lord wont you buy me a Mercedes Benz" only took 30-some years, but it was in an M-Class commercial a few years ago.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think Pete Townsend must need help paying off his legal fees because Who songs are everywhere now, from CSI Miami, movies, car commercials and allergy medication commercials. Didn't the Who mock this sort of thing over 30 years ago with the "Who Sell Out" album cover?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve. You've all heard it, it kind of rips off a awesome Rolling Stones intro.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wolf in Commercials

My favorite classic rock group---Steppenwolf---somehow gets basic tunes like Born to Be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride into commercials through the decades, for the past 35 years.
    Also lesser known songs of theirs like Rock Me.
    John Kay said in an interview one time that at any given time, Born to Be Wild was playing somewhere in the world.
    Talk about globalization. He didn't seem to mind that the song is in commercials ---welcomed it.
    And he has written and performed songs like "The Endless Commercial." Have it both ways?
    Get your motors running.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bohemian Like You -- Dandy Worhols I still like it, even though I've heard it way too much in those car commercials.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine" - glurgey 80's pop shlop
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Katrina and the Waves----a great group--at least for Walking on Sunshine. And commercials.
    Going way back, I remember a commercial that used "West Side Story" music-overture---I think it was a deodorant.
    Can anyone help me out here? Jets forever!!!!
    Sharks too!!!!!!!!
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 21 Aug 2006, 3:35 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Dec 2004, 8:15 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 24 Jun 2004, 10:31 AM
  4. All-time Best Party Songs
    Friday Afternoon Club