Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Culturally out-of-step regions

Registered
    Oct 2000

Buffalo's "different" culture

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I defintely think that there are some pretty big cultural differences that distinguish Western New York and the rest of the state. My ex-boss in Albany maintains that Western New York isn't even really a part of the Mid-Atlantic states, but really the Mid-West as evidenced by their affinity for "pop", and euchre, and I really don't think that the influence of the Polish/German population in WNY can be understated. I think cities such as Buffalo do have inherit worth if only because they are unique in a way that newer cities never can be.

PS Wurdinski Hotdogs kick a**!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Buffalo has a distinctly different feel than the rest of Upstate New York; you'll find it in the blue collar ethnic culture and vernacular architecture. I've heard Buffalo equated to "a little Chicago," "a little Detroit that didn't decline as much as the big Detroit," and "just like Cleveland, except there's still bluebloods in the city proper." Just 100 km away in Rochester, that city feels like a different world, like a somewhat older, slightly less prosperous Columbus or Indianapolis. Rochester always seemed more middle-class and less "ethnic" than Buffalo.

There's other cities and towns that seem out-of-step with the state they are in. Northwest Indiana, which doesn't feel a thing like Indiana; Jacksonville, Florida, which is culturally more Georgia-like than Florida-like; and Pueblo, Colorado, which is gritty, industrial, poor and not very "outdoorsy" -- much different than the Front Range metros.

I've always been fascinated by cultural enclaves in larger metropolitan areas, such as Kinloch, Missouri and Eatonville, Florida (African-American enclaves surrounded by affluent, predoiminantly white suburbs), Sheridan, Colorado (a one square mile enclave of heavy industry and lower income whites surrounded by the upper middle class southern suburbs of Denver), the Hyde Park neighborhood in Chicago and Brathenal, Ohio (wealthy white enclaves surrounded by poor African-American communities); and Winter Garden, Florida (a town with a lower income, culturally "deep South" oriented population where most residents are employed in construction of the trades; the surrounding area is mostly middle to upper middle class.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Madison, Wisconsin - a few square miles surrounded by reality.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Greenville, SC - this cool downtown, totally walkable city that has a million great restaurants and is encouraging 2nd story apartments. It is located smack dab in the center of a county that outlawed homosexuality.

Registered
    Aug 2001

As long as KMateja brought it up,

There's P-Town. A heck of an enclave if there ever was one...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    OK this is off topic but the mention of Greenville SC leads me to say tell me more.....my significant other travels there for work from time to time. We are actually tentatively planning to go in May. What's on the must do, must eat at list?? Reply off-line if you wish at removed email - pm this person
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 09 May 2014 at 5:55 PM.

Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    lol. this is what a friend once told me as well whose from there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by LouisvilleSlugger
    lol. this is what a friend once told me as well whose from there.
    At the time I did not remember it exactly, and to be honest, it changes, but most often I hear "72 square miles surrounded by reality."

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Hmmm, cuturally out-of-step regions.
    How about D.C inside the beltway - a few square miles surrounded by persons who actually have to work for a living.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Feb 2003

off topic

Originally posted by Downtown
    [B and euchre, [/B]
    This is the best card game known to man!!*

*I am so surprised to see it on the post; that I got excited. Sorry.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Originally posted by Runner
    Hmmm, cuturally out-of-step regions.
    How about D.C inside the beltway - a few square miles surrounded by persons who actually have to work for a living.
    When I was growing up on the other side of that line the Beltway used to be the dividing line between the DCs Northern Virginia suburbs and "Real" Virginia. I hear that the line is about 40 miles south around Fredericksburg these days.

Registered
    May 2003
    I would put the "real Virginia" south of Fredericksburg these days. With commuter rail, Fredericksburg is now a bedroom community for DC.

Also, the "real Virginia" has been pushed westward to I-81.

The spread of Northern VA is sad, but at this point I don't think it can be stopped.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Re: Buffalo's "different" culture

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I defintely think that there are some pretty big cultural differences that distinguish Western New York and the rest of the state. My ex-boss in Albany maintains that Western New York isn't even really a part of the Mid-Atlantic states, but really the Mid-West as evidenced by their affinity for "pop", and euchre
    I went up there for the first time in high school and it just struck me as a great lakes place. Not east coast - north coast.

places that are culturally out of sync - south jersey (more accurately the old colony of west jersey) salem and cumberland counties in particular. It's more like the eastern shore of maryland than it is like any other place in NJ.

the borough of lawnside in camden co. - as i'm sure you all know the FHA wouldn't guarantee mortgages to whites buying in black neighborhoods or vice versa as shameful as that was it probably did a lot to preserve this towns historical character.

"Lawnside, located eight miles southeast of Camden, is the only historically African-American incorporated municipality in the northern United States. It dates to colonial times as a settlement of people of color and has emerged as a viable, modern community."

by the numbers -
    area: 1.5 square miles
    Pop: 2,692
    white: 47
    black: 2,520
    native american : 27
    asian/pacific islander:16
    hispanic of any race:64
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Buffalo's "different" culture

...but really the Mid-West as evidenced by their affinity for "pop", and euchre...
    So "Pop" is a mid-western thing and not just southwestern PA crazy talk, like "Yinz"?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Can you make a case that Chicagoland is out of sync with the rest of the Midwest? Downstaters, Hoosiers and 'Sconsinites might think so.

BANNED
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think Austin is a bit different from the rest of Texas. San Antonio is getting to be more like it in some ways. But it's funny, Austin is actually a really different city than alot of places in the US. Familiar with Burgess Zone Model? Austin is nothing like it. In St. Louis, Dallas, Chicago, you have this HUGE metropolitan area. Austin seems to have stayed relatively the same size (sq. footage), although it's population has more than tripled in the past 10 years.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by bet on me
    I think Austin is a bit different from the rest of Texas.
    True, but sadly the sprawl around Austin is standard American fair. Down to San Marcos in the south and up to Georgetown in the north it's becoming solid CSD with KB Homes now leading the charge...

The Austin MSA is one of the fastest growing regions in the country. The city may be relatively stable but Travis, Hays, and Williamson counties have been booming. Although with the tech bust this has slowed down.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here's something that's interesting. Today's Web headlines, from several major newspapers across the country.

Orlando Sentinel - SARS cases drops in China
    Kansas City Star - Sharon cancels U.S. trip
    Denver Post - Desperation at home, danger over the border (story about rural poverty in Mexico)
    Chciago Tribune - SBC dials up lesson in clout

Buffalo News - Pope's diagnosis: Parkinson's

I looked at a ton of papers online, and none of 'em mentioned the Pope anywhere. In Buffalo, it's the headline. "What's dat Iraq thing der that everyone talk about der? Isn't dat what dose Italian kits on da Westside drive der?"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    There was a little blip in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the Pope's birthday. That's all.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by Dan
    Here's something that's interesting.
    Buffalo News - Pope's diagnosis: Parkinson's

Didn't we already know he had Parkinson's? I thought this was old news...guess not.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The Pope's parkinson's was relatively big news here too. (Irish and French Catholic region)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Land use map, step by step?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Apr 2010, 6:43 PM
  2. Dividing states into mini-regions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 16 Dec 2009, 11:16 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 11:25 AM