Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: the new kid

Registered
    Apr 2003

the new kid

Hi all - i'm one week new to the board and thought it proper to introduce myself.

I work as a transportation planner for the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission which is the MPO here in Philly. Our area consists of the 5 counties on the PA side of the river and the 4 counties on the NJ side.

I live in South Philly now, our offices are in Center City, but i'm Jersey all the way. I went to Rutgers-Camden, and was born and raised at the Shore (5 miles north of Asbury Park). I've lived all over the East Coast from Georgia to New York. I spent most of my time in the south while in the army - noticing the differences between the sprawl of the southeast and the railroad suburb i grew up in is what turned me onto planning.

For now i like my job but in a year or so i'm looking at grad school either in canada or australia.

If you haven't yet, you'll notice that i'm staunchly pro bike/ped/transit and i'll take the access line of reasoning over mobility any day.

I'm interested to hear the midwest/west perspective that seems to proliferate on this board!

cheers!

- - - jim
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I leave town for a week and look at all the new people who show up. The laptop was delivered when I was away. I'll never have to leave Cyburbia behind!

Welcome!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Moin auch!

Welcome to the board!

:o)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer

Welcome.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Welcome! At least now we might have some competition for Tranplanner's transpo planning opinions!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome. It's good to have another PA planner in the mix - Even if you are in Philly.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Tranplanner Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer

Welcome.

haha - no i'm not an engineer. I understand the frustration, though. I'm the only planner in a 5 person unit. The other 4 clowns are strictly numbers.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Jim,
    Welcome to the boards. we look forward to frequent postings.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm kinda late doing this, but welcome!

I read your bio, and I know we've already debated some things. I'm glad you're here to provide some east coast/big city perspective!

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Hey, can't go wrong with another transportation planner on the boards. As long as you're not an engineer

Welcome.
    As long as your not a what? Welcome from another
    transportation planner. (more mobile than access)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Good deal, another transportation planner! Welcome.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Welcome aboard!
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Welcome Aboard!!!!! great to hear from another transportation planner!!!!

+ Reply to thread