Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Disclaimers in e-mail from lawyers?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Disclaimers in e-mail from lawyers?

Jeez. I got a one line e-mail from an attorney. It was followed by this disclaimer.

This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the Addressee named herein, or the party responsible for delivering this to said Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, forwarding, printing, disseminating, or otherwise distributing this electronic mail message shall be prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps necessary to delete said message completely from your computer system.

Electronic mail messages can be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses and/or trojan horses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this electronic mail message which arise as a result of transmission. If verification is required, request a signed hard-copy version. This electronic mail message should not be be construed as establishing an attorney-client privilege where no such privilege has been established or arranged previously.

Anyone else starting to get these?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Screw Them!

I have seen them. I'm not impressed one bit by the bully tactics some lawyers use. These lawyers sure have balls telling you that in essence “I may have screwed up and sent this email to you by mistake, the contents are privileged, and therefore you have to take action to cover my mistake.” Well screw 'em I say. Post that letter on the Smoking Gun! Alternatively, auction it off on eBay. Its yours once it arrives unsolicited in to your domain.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Just like we crib zoning ordinance language from other cities, lawyers crib "liability" language from each other. This is very similar to our lawyers' disclaimer.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Yes, every time I get something from any one of our attorneys the disclaimer is attached.

They take themselves too seriously. If they were that concerned, they'd meet me in an undisclosed location and whisper it in my ear...just like in the movies.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Mar 2002
    lol yes

i expect to see them start appearing on personal emails from attys i have/do/will date.

but in this lawsuit happy country i guess they have to CYA too
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The most annoying attorney I've dealt with signs his name as follows:

With best regards, I am,

(Name), esq.

I think he's trying to sound like a superhero.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    The most annoying attorney I've dealt with signs his name as follows:

With best regards, I am,

(Name), esq.

That is TRULY asinine, however, I find it not so surprising that it comes from an attorney….

YEAH THAT’S RIGHT! I SAID IT! I’M ATTORNY BASHING!!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Not that it will make you feel better or anything, but lawyer-folk put the disclaimers on their faxes and e-mails for ethical reasons... they don't want to get in trouble with their respective state bars for unintentionally disclosing privileged information.

However, the lame signature "With best regards, I am".... I have no explanation for. The only time I've run into that is from a guy who practices in South Florida. (not that I'm biased against South Florida lawyers or anything... heh.... o.k. I am.)

Most attorneys I know don't use "Esq." after signing.... However, I must admit, it comes in handy when you are complaining about goods/services. I actually got customer service at Priceline to respond. That was a feat in and of itself. Not really worth the $60K in student loans, however....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by prudence
    They take themselves too seriously. If they were that concerned, they'd meet me in an undisclosed location and whisper it in my ear...just like in the movies.
    I thought those were just your "tricks".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Drug side effects and disclaimers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 1:53 PM
  2. Disclaimers: email, radio and others
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Dec 2010, 2:28 PM
  3. Lawyers in the planning world?
    Career Development and Advice