• Joe Lieberman

6 17.65%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's taking on W?

Registered
    Oct 2000

Who's taking on W?

NINE candidates. If you're voting Dem, who's got your vote. If you're voting Repub, who do you think will be facing W?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    PS - I voted Dean, I'm a big fan of what he's done in Vermont - balanced budget, good education stance, support for civil rights.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    This is like fantasy football. LOL.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Dean and Kerry will battle it out in the NH Primary, but I'll probably go back to the first time I voted and vote for Gephardt (what can I say...I come from a strong union family). I'm torn right now between him and Dean.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by Planderella
    This is like fantasy football. LOL.
    No kidding! W is going to win no matter what. I'm a Democrat and would like to see a stong candidate come through, but it just doesn't seem like there is a compelling one out there. I think Bush is beatable, too, but not by this slate.

I picked Kerry. I think he'll get the nomination. He is actually a good guy. I interned for him when I was in college and felt really good about the policy decisions he made. I just think he comes across as too aloof and elitist to be electable.

You'd think this would be a slam-dunk for Lieberman. That guy should be far in front in terms of name recognition, but his polling numbers are dismal.

To be honest, I am not impressed with any of them. I like Dean somewhat, and Kerry too. I do know that the Dems. had better stop trying to frame this election as revenge for what happened in 2000 and focus on some real issues. They should take a cue from the Clinton campaign in 92.... "It's the economy, stupid!"
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I voted for Gephardt. Not because I like him any more than the others, but because he can probably put together the best campaign organization, raise money, and be a candidate on the national scene.

The whole slate looks like everything that's wrong with the Dems: too regional (Kerry, Lieberman, Dean), too narrow (Moseley-Braun, Sharpton), retreads of the Carter and Clinton campaigns (Edwards, Graham), and just not ready for prime time (Kucinich).

Check out Joe Klein's article in last week's Time Magazine in which he spells out what the Dems need to do to win.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I like the cracker (Graham)... but I'm biased.

I think W is beatable. If next year at this time he continues to have no real domestic policy the Dems will pound that into the minds of voters. If the right Democrat gets some momentum going who knows what will happen. I believe that this race will be a lot closer than people assume.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    I think W is beatable. If next year at this time he continues to have no real domestic policy the Dems will pound that into the minds of voters. If the right Democrat gets some momentum going who knows what will happen. I believe that this race will be a lot closer than people assume.
    No doubt W is beatable. If the economy is still sucky, the tax cut produces huge deficits, the Middle East is still very prickly, and no real domestic policy emerges, then sure, he can be beaten.

But one of the Dems will have to step it up majorly to capitalize on that, and they'll have to produce real alternatives in public policy. For too long, the Dems have been saying, "vote for us because we're NOT the GOP." They've got to say, "vote for us because we stand for these issues..."

It's the same problem the Repubs had until Eisenhower came to power -- so many years of being contrarians, they didn't know what they stood for.

Registered
    May 2003
    W's main opponent is W. I suspect he will defeat himself. It's possible there will be a deep throat or pentagon papers which shows that he knew there were no WMD and said, "heck let's roll anyway." Or it may be that he is the only president who has seen a net loss of jobs (lower than when he came in) since the Depression. I really think it will be the economy and jobs that beat him. The tax cut didn't revive the economy, so he's doing it again. The Republicans want the private sector to revive the economy, but that requires innovation. However, they are turning the economy over to monopolists and oligopolists, who would rather milk the last few dollars out of their old technogy . Note the job losses from monopoly. When the media consolidates, an announcer in Tennessee will do the "local" spots for hundreds of stations nationwide. No more local dj's. One person does the work of several. Jobs evaporate.

Kerry gets my vote. I like Dean but he's way too "progressive" for the blue dogs/republicrats -and that's going to be the hurdle for Dems imho -they need to get their votes back. The most effective campaigner will be Lieberman.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...none of the above...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well being from NC I am all for John Edwards-the man seems to be a "peoples person" hes done a great job with NC without all the pork crap and from what i can tell no double talk but hey im biased i want W out of office.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well, Edwards spent the first part of his life in Oconee County, SC so was rooting for him for regionalisms sake. But after watching some of the SC and IA debates, I've changed my mind and decided that I really like Howard Dean. So far, he's been the only one to lay out a clear message that isn't "W- lite." I'm just afraid that being from New England (like Kerry) will hurt his chances in the southern states.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    No doubt W is beatable. If the economy is still sucky, the tax cut produces huge deficits, the Middle East is still very prickly, and no real domestic policy emerges, then sure, he can be beaten.
    DId Clinton have a domestic policy? And "nailing anything that moves" is not a policy...it was more of a motivation to stay in office. Oh, there was that health care fiasco...oh, and pardoning every dirty democrat...I gues you could call those "policies."

The Middle East has been "prickly" for 1000s of years...let's not blame W for it.

And who is the economy bad for? Interest rates are ridiculously low. Construction hasn't stopped. Am I supposed to feel bad for people who work in the volatile tech industries? They reaped the rewards for nearly a decade. Maybe people aren't as marketable as they once were. Maybe they need to invest in themselves (i.e.-education). Because venture capitalists don't stand on every corner with buckets of cash to give out to every upstart doesn't mean the nation is going to hell. Maybe America's "buy now, pay later" spending habits are catching up with us. We are a creditor nation, and maybe that's not best.

How about some service cuts...like axe-ing unproductive programs. That would save $$, cut fat, and ultimately reduce taxes. Maybe AFDC needs to go...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Mar 2002
    "The only hope they have is to lower the voting age to six and nominate Spongebob Square Pants."--Dan Akroyd as Andy Card on SNL

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by El Feo
    "The only hope they have is to lower the voting age to six and nominate Spongebob Square Pants."
    That's an excellent idea. To bad that W's a republican however. He would make a great stand-in for Patrick.

Registered
    Aug 2002

Dean for America

I voted for Howard Dean because that's who I'd like to have as our next president, but if you're asking who will be Dubya's opponent, it might be someone different. Certainly any of the current senators -- Lieberman especially -- will have more money in their pockets.

I agree with Repo Man that W is beatable. But then, I thought he was beatable last time. Gore should have won by a landslide. Instead he ran a lackluster campaign.

The Democrats in Congress have been like sheep, falling in line behind W every step of the way while he turns this country backward. I changed my registration to independent (which means I won't be able to vote for Dean in the primaries, unfortunately) because I was so frustrated with the Dems' inaction. Of the candidates so far, I think Dean is the only one asking the right questions - and providing some policy alternatives.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by biscuit
    That's an excellent idea. To bad that W's a republican however. He would make a great stand-in for Patrick.
    I have to say, that's the cleverest "Bush is an idiot" jab I've read in a long time. I've always been a fan of the ol' reliable "dumb (fill-in-name-of-Republican-politician-here)" synecdoche. Loved it when I heard it about Ford, Reagan, and Bush I, too. The left's been peddlin' that little self-esteem-builder about conservatives since J.S. Mill invented it about the Tories in the 1800s. Strange, though, how often the erudite Democrats have their lunch handed to them by MO-ron Republicans in terms of winning policy debates and actually getting something done.

Want in on a secret? Republicans LOVE it. As long as Democrats delude themselves into believing our candidates are dumb, they're underestimating them. And the longer Dems do that, the longer we're in power. And the more of us get elected. And...well, you get the point.

Republicans know Democrats are smart. We just think they're wrong. As long as we keep that squarely in our minds, we can figure out how to beat them and not have our legs cut out from under us come election time by our own arrogance.

On another Spongebob/Patrick related note, though, I have to admit that whenever I hear Patrick say "Uh...I...uh...forget!", Hillary Clinton pops into my head. I gotta figure out what that's all about...

Re: Dean for America

Originally posted by Mud Princess
    Gore should have won by a landslide. Instead he ran a lackluster campaign.
    Gore was too much of a stiff to be president. He didn't inspire anyone. His basic campaign premise was "Its my turn." He tried too hard to distance himself from Clinton, which I think actually hurt him.

I am still shocked that GW is the best that the Republicans had to offer in 2000.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by El Feo
    ...As long as Democrats delude themselves into believing our candidates are dumb, they're underestimating them. And the longer Dems do that, the longer we're in power. And the more of us get elected. And...well, you get the point.

Republicans know Democrats are smart. We just think they're wrong. As long as we keep that squarely in our minds, we can figure out how to beat them and not have our legs cut out from under us come election time by our own arrogance.

On another Spongebob/Patrick related note, though, I have to admit that whenever I hear Patrick say "Uh...I...uh...forget!", Hillary Clinton pops into my head. I gotta figure out what that's all about...
    I have to admit that you're completely right. Dems have a tendency to come across as wanna-be or pseudo-intillectuals and the GOP has been successful at making their candidates come across as an "everyman." The Dems then look arrogant compared to that "Ah shucks, I'm just like you" demeanor.

As for Bush being an idiot...Inexperienced? Yes. Lacking vision? Absolutly. Hostile to the middle class? Without a doubt. An idiot? Absolutly not. I think that he is politically very smart and opportunistic. He and his handlers know that without Sept. 11 and Iraq, there would be no way his current policies would have passed.

As for me I'm not a Dem, which I can't let known around the office. I was a McCain fan - Fiscal and military conservative, social liberal- but after Karl (I left my conscience at home) Rove took care of him in South Carolina I forced myself to vote for Gore. I just couldn't and still can't stand the thought of those wishy-washy, boorish, corporate whored out, right winged neo-cons running things.
    Last edited by biscuit; 23 May 2003 at 3:42 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Well, Bush isn't an idiot. But he did come in at a time when the Republicans had developed an iron clad party discipline. The Republican Congress votes with the President no matter how strange his policies.

But take a look at those policies. They are, for the most part, irrational and, in many cases, opposed to many core Republican Party values. How many Republican congresspeople really want to pass a huge deficit on to their children? Yet they vote 100% for just that.

I suspect that the Republicans will start to crumble at the state level. Bush has such a command over the media that he can always get free publicity. But Republican congresspeople will have to face the problems created by their uncritical acceptance of the President's strange policy directions.

And who is the economy bad for?
    me and my kids paying 3 trillion dollars in debt as of 2013

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Commerce secretary this morning saying Republican policy is to cut taxes and reduce spending. Who the hell is not spending? W has spent and spent and spent. Did he need to send, yes of course, but at least admit it.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Who is taking Fri July 5th off ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 9:45 AM
  2. Taking a new job plus relocation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2007, 8:03 AM
  3. Houston Is Taking Over