Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Longest afternoon ever

Registered
    Oct 2000

Longest afternoon ever

Argh. The day before a long weekend. No calls. No customers at the counter. In box is empty. And almost two hours to go til the end of the day. I'm dying here. Anyone else abominably slow? And I just ate an entire 1/2 can of pringles without even noticing. sigh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'd kill for some pringles right now. Every since I got back from my trip, I've been eating my way through the days. Sigh. I don't know if it's post-trip blues or what. I've got a ton of work to catch up on though, so that's keeping me going. Tonight I'm getting together with a couple of other scotch-hounds and sharing the spoils of my recent trip.

No long weekend for me. Hope you all enjoy yours!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Just got back from the coast, I'll put in 1/2 a day... then go... somewhere! I think we're going to do some vinyard touring tomorrow.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003

Amen to that

I hear ya there. I have been thinking.. "do I want to take off early, or save it for vacation?" With an hour left.... I am here.

We need to start another game. To keep our minds sharp.

OOOOHHHH an accident out side!!!
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've got the post-conference dulldrums. This has been a slow two day week for me.

I'm hoping that the upcoming 4 day work week goes a little more quickly and is more productive.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    only person in the building left here....

It's 3 pm on the on the East Coast...

NPR is doing little to keep me awake....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by ecofem
    only person in the building left here....

It's 3 pm on the on the East Coast...

NPR is doing little to keep me awake....
    Try Radio Paradise. It's a nice eclectic mix of music that'll help the afternoon pass quickly.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Today is the day that time stood still! The office is dead. I have had no calls, no paperwork, nothing to do all day. I'm so bored that I kinda wish a clueless city contractor or a deranged and senile senior citizen would call and harass me for information I don't have. Perhaps the director will have mercy and let us go early.

I have 100 dumpster enclosure compliance letters to send out then my task is to clean my office so that when I come in on Tuesday, I can kick off the summer season on the right foot. It is a disaster area in here.

That Radio Paradise link was screwy..I just got a bunch of code.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    IThat Radio Paradise link was screwy..I just got a bunch of code.
    Sorry. Try pasting the underlying URL into a MP3 player. I use WinAmp.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Michael - you just made me laugh out loud. I'm listening to my irish drinking music, longing for a bass. and playing with the toys on my desk. and bolting out of my office to chat with the secretaries the second they start talking about something interesting, whether it be movies or vacation or watching paint dry. I've been over to but rob twice, but he keeps insisting on showing me pictures of the router he just bought on amazon, which drives me out of his office. and there goes the rest of the pringles can. yum.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Downtown
    and there goes the rest of the pringles can. yum.
    Aughhhhh! Foul Temptress!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have been looking for parts for my new car... Does any one know where I can get a set of 17inch chrome wheels for a 2000 Impala LS?

We have had a 70s, 80s, and 90s, radio station... Nothing better than a little Jetho Tull followed by U2, and a little Kansas tossed in to keep me awake.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Downtown
    ... playing with the toys on my desk. ...
    What toys does every one have? We have the full collection of all the burger king toys from the past 5 months.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Weird phrases

And I just ate an entire 1/2 can of pringles
    How can you eat an ENTIRE 1/2 of one can of pringles? Would someone say that they only ate half of 1/2 can?

Stuff like this always sounds weird to me.

Like buying a half a gallon of whole milk.
    How can it be whole if I only bought half of it?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    ha ha , I am out of here in 5 minutes, only problem is that it is not a long weekend. it will be really slow on monday with you all gone. The semi good news is that it has been crazy here this week, barely any time for goofing off or thought outside of work stuff.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I just got back from a 2+ hour APA meeting. All of the bosses are gone so why am I still here in the office???????? One hour.....I'm outta here in exactly ONE HOUR!!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Highlight of the day - I went on a site vist this morning and got to see some idiot who ignored the "lane closed" sign and got their car stuck in a fresh patch of concrete!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I had planned on leaving early and perhaps going to see the family and get drunk at the lake this weekend but NOOOOOO! I have to sit here till 5:00 and then spend my long weekend looking at bridal magazines and picking out wedding crap. Why was I a good boyfriend and offer to get involved with the planning?

I would love some Pringles. Are they sour cream 'n onion? Yum!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by biscuit
    I had planned on leaving early and perhaps going to see the family and get drunk at the lake this weekend but NOOOOOO! I have to sit here till 5:00 and then spend my long weekend looking at bridal magazines and picking out wedding crap. Why was I a good boyfriend and offer to get involved with the planning?
    At least you don't sound bitter about it

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've cleaned off my desk...

cleaned out my drawers....

watered the plants.....

no pringles.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    At least you don't sound bitter about it
    Thanks, I try. It's not all bad however. Thus far I've been rewarded greatly for lending a hand

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    What toys does every one have? We have the full collection of all the burger king toys from the past 5 months.
    I picked my boss for Secret Santa last year, and bought him a whole bunch of fun office toys from The Office Playground. One of the squishy stress balls has sprung a small leak -- too much stress, I guess -- but we still have an Affirmation Ball (like a Magic 8 ball, only with a big yellow smiley face), a "tangle" (great to keep your sanity during boring meetings), and a package of little plastic men that you can throw at the wall (pretend they're certain, uh, people).

Here's a link. http://www.officeplayground.com/index.html

I don't get a commission.

Probably better than talking to your office support staff about watching paint dry...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    Well I have the Bender Family on my file. You know those little metal wire people with magnets on their hands and feet you can move in different poses.

I have Mr and Ms Bender and doggie bender.
    I also have

Foam Stress ball/globe,
    A puzzle ball,
    and a stubbed head that when you bang it on you desk it laughs and says "Happy 2000"

I need more toy.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by ecofem
    I've cleaned off my desk...

cleaned out my drawers....

watered the plants.....

no pringles.
    Ooh! watering plants. that will take a few minutes! rob and i were going to scoot out a little early, but then a senior planner asked for a ride home from work today. D'OH! So 45 more minutes it is.

And the pringles are original. Crackers make me gag, so I keep pringles to munch on when I get hungry. that and bagels. My office is stocked to withstand a terrorist attack. Well, it would last most people a month, me, about three days.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 8:59 PM
  2. Longest cable bridge in US dedicated
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Jul 2005, 1:16 PM
  3. The Longest Minute
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23