Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

The 2014 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Yes folks its that time again....ARod has been accused of taking PEDs. No wait that's an annual accusation.

Clueless Bud's last season as the commish is fast approaching. Another hot stove season and then Spring Training!!! Many changes have and will still occur.
    Dusty & Jim are gone for very different reasons. There's a 211 game suspension out there waiting to be enforced. The Marlins & Cubs in the NLCS

106 days before pitchers & catchers report.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Curious to see if Uggla is a Brave when Spring Training Starts.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Braves announce plans to move from downtown to the northwest 'burbs:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...in-cobb/nbpNQ/
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post

How is this playing in the ATL? Both the Falcons and the Braves are getting a new stadium. Per USA Today and Twitter most of the Braves fans are in the northern suburbs anyway.

I know the TED was built for the Olympics and repurposed for baseball but I was surprised the Braves only had a 20 year lease.

Registered
    Feb 2007

This is less than a 20 year old stadium. What's the deal? Is it that bad to get there? I mean i look at dodger staidum, which is really in the middle of no-where at over 50 years old, and it still provides the revenue the team needs to shine (not to mention lucrative tv contract)
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    How is this playing in the ATL? Both the Falcons and the Braves are getting a new stadium. Per USA Today and Twitter most of the Braves fans are in the northern suburbs anyway.

I know the TED was built for the Olympics and repurposed for baseball but I was surprised the Braves only had a 20 year lease.
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    This is less than a 20 year old stadium. What's the deal? Is it that bad to get there? I mean i look at dodger staidum, which is really in the middle of no-where at over 50 years old, and it still provides the revenue the team needs to shine (not to mention lucrative tv contract)

Reasons for the move

Mixed reactions in Atlanta and a lot of confusion right now. In a straight line, the new stadium site is five miles from my current house, but I'm still torn on the idea. My guess is that this largely stems from the fact that the City of Atlanta (and MARTA) have been giving the Braves the middle finger since 1997, while the City spent the last year falling all over themselves to spend a crapload of municipal funds to build the Falcons an unneeded new stadium.

EDIT: Or, as a buddy of mine put it:

[The City of] Atlanta owns the stadium and wouldn't pay half the bill for repairs.

That's fine, but if the landlord is cheap and you find a better place to live, just f*ckin' move... I mean, I would...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well it will be closer for me and not have to deal with in-town ATL traffic. Seriously though I heard about it in a 2 sentence radio clip so I have to check into more. MARTA has to be closer than it is, even though the shuttle bus works great from 5-points (main hub for all you non-ATL), its another transfer and wait.

Interesting though that the city won't pay for repairs. The place isn't a dump, but there are a few issues and it's showing it's 20 year old self, especially for something that was built for another use, then extensively renovated very quickly to be ready for baseball play. Granted the fans are from the northern 'burbs, but I bet every worker is from town or south of town.

I guess I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic that it could be a good thing, but I some severe doubts.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Huddy to the Giants
    (2 years $23 mil)

Please used the money saved to buy some bats

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Huddy to the Giants
    (2 years $23 mil)

Not liking this signing. I know the giants need a 4th/5th starter. Petie showed promise during garbage time outings as a number 5 as well some other farm system hands. Sabean is on crack. 23 mill for 2 seasons? Really? We need an outfielder with a bat to flank both pagan and pence. Not a starter
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Huddy to the Giants
    (2 years $23 mil)

Yep - that's $8 - 9 mil of additional payroll availability all of a sudden...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Yep - that's $8 - 9 mil of additional payroll availability all of a sudden...
    I see the $8-9m that can be used to pay someone to take Uggla.

The Braves don't need bats...they led the NL in HR...they need someone to get on base that does not strikeout 150/ year.

Pitching is too good in the playoffs to win by just hitting long balls.

As for Hudson I like his senior leadership on a staff of young pitchers although I wonder how much is left in his tank.

Registered
    May 2005
    Fielder and $30M to Texas for Kinsler. Most people in Detroit are happy with the trade, as it offers financial flexibility. Still need to make a few more moves to fill out the roster though.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Fielder and $30M to Texas for Kinsler. Most people in Detroit are happy with the trade, as it offers financial flexibility. Still need to make a few more moves to fill out the roster though.
    I know I've said this a ton of times, but Fielder is so overrated. I hope we re-sign Sherzer with money we're saving.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    McCann being signed by the yankmees was the final straw this weekend.

Why the yankmees Brian, please why!?!?!?! And now you have to shave your beard. Did you consider that?

El Oso Blanco will be great behind the plate. Oh well, that's baseball in the modern era

Registered
    Mar 2005
    37 days!!!

Greg Maddux is not a unanimous HOF inductee - one reporter had to "make a statement"

Greg Maddux is not a unanimous HOF inductee - one reporter had to "make a statement"
    I predict he won't top Tom Seaver, either, but will come durned close. The HOF has to put out some guidance on PEDs for the BBWAA - PEDs were part of the game and a museum has to tell the whole story or else it is a sham. Plus, who knows how many already in weren't doping?

Just my $0.02
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I predict he won't top Tom Seaver, either, but will come durned close. The HOF has to put out some guidance on PEDs for the BBWAA - PEDs were part of the game and a museum has to tell the whole story or else it is a sham. Plus, who knows how many already in weren't doping?

Just my $0.02
    If Mark McGwire is in the Hall it will be a sham. PEDs are one thing, cheating for the entire time you were any good is another. I don't think the Hall has to accept Clemons, Sosa, or McGwire. I know it was probably more prevalent than anyone has a clue about, but I don't think that means we should put them in the Hall for it...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

37 days!!!

I saw the article. The writer said it was because he won't vote for anyone from the steroids era. For better or worse, the steroids era players will always be under a cloud.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Wow! Craig Biggio misses election to the HOF by 0.2% of the votes. Biggio belongs, IMO.

Congrats to Maddux, Glavine, and Frank Thomas for their selection.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2006
    HOF voting apitomizes everything that is wrong with baseball.I am glad that Maddux, Glavine and Cox all made the hall.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Looks like we don't get to watch A-Roid on the field this year!
    Unfortunately we'll probably have to see him in courts appealing something or other.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    For Planit, Brocktoon, et al - the Braves' non-roster invitees to Spring Training:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...invitee/ncmgJ/

Registered
    Mar 2005
    10 DAYS !!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    First it's Medlen, now it's Beachy.

2 days - 2 staring pitchers

Please stop it!!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    First it's Medlen, now it's Beachy.

2 days - 2 staring pitchers

Please stop it!!!
    The Braves always pull together a solid starting rotation though.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 338