Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Confession time, Part II

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I've always wanted to walk into the kitchen of a mexican restaurant and yell "Immigration!"
    My father, now retired from the border patrol, has been known to do this on occasion just for the fun of it. Was with him once at a fast food joint and as we were leaving the restaurant he yelled "La Migra" people started running.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Maister confessed, so will I. About the same time in history I toyed with the idea of buying a Pacer
    Dude, I owned one in college. The thing caught fire my final semester.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I sat in a meeting this week and figured out the menu for my lunch/tea shop I want to open one day

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    I've sent 5 resumes out to 4 different states within the last couple weeks. All applications are designed to move my career forward, get me out of Kentucky. If I get one of these gigs, I'm still deciding on whether or not Mrs. Coragus is invited and haven't told her about any of these resumes.
    Um....you win!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I want to become Minister of Planning for a tiny, third world, island country. The funny thing is that there is a remote possibility of that happening.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Um....you win!
    It makes me laugh that your avatar is of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

Also, I'm kind of a hypochondriac. Hospitals and clinics freak me out.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I want to become Minister of Planning for a tiny, third world, island country. The funny thing is that there is a remote possibility of that happening.
    Maldives, by chance?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    I've sent 5 resumes out to 4 different states within the last couple weeks. All applications are designed to move my career forward, get me out of Kentucky. If I get one of these gigs, I'm still deciding on whether or not Mrs. Coragus is invited and haven't told her about any of these resumes.
    How did I miss this - yeah, you do win!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I kinda like the SLO thread, nothing like a good pissing match

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Maldives, by chance?
    Right continent

Registered
    Jun 2004
    At times I do miss my ex, tho she was crazy.

If I could blow off working out at the Y and not look like Jabba the Hut, I would

Part of the reason I like living in a apartment complex is that no one knows me. I've been in the middle of enough neighborhood pissing matches to know that neighbors are a mixed blessing.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I kinda like the SLO thread, nothing like a good pissing match
    My confession is I am often like Austin Powers after he awakes from a 20 year sleep!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    I really don't have a problem with billboards.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My confession is that I think the term "pissing match" has become over-used.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I have thought about leaving planning and going to culinary school. I enjoy being a planner, but the thought of doing this for the next 40 years scares the bejezzus out of me. In reality it probably won't ever happen b/c of my mountains of student loans.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Right continent
    Seychelles?
    Any of the Indian Ocean Island Nations would do quite nicely. I humbly request to be your assistant

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am the worst morning person on the planet. In the job I just left I asked for a 10-6 shift so I could spend more time with the clients. It was because I could sleep in until 8:30
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    I am increasingly becoming an anti-cat/anti-dog person. This sucks because I have a dog. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person. But I'm truly beginning to detest owning an animal. I just don't see what they bring to the table, unless you need companionship. But that's why I have a wife. I don't need a dog.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I am increasingly becoming an anti-cat/anti-dog person. This sucks because I have a dog. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person. But I'm truly beginning to detest owning an animal. I just don't see what they bring to the table, unless you need companionship. But that's why I have a wife. I don't need a dog.
    Dittos, except I'm not "anti" so much as I've done it and don't really need to do it again. I love my dog, but we have decided to not have more pets after she's gone.

I have my three boys and wife. That's more companionship then I'll ever need.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    lol I love my animals, I do, but having dogs in Hawaii is a chore. For me, dogs are not only a great companion, but they help keep me active. However, Hawaii is not dog friendly. Nearly all apartments do not allow dogs and those that do only allow dogs under 25 lbs (this trend is happening everywhere and is obnoxious - but Hawaii takes the cake). Most beaches prohibit dogs. Most parks prohibit dogs. There is way too much traffic to rollerblade together. I would never give up my dog, but our quality of life together out here has significantly diminished compared to what we could do together in Ohio.

I will never understand why nearly all the beaches and parks prohibit dogs. There are a handful of dog parks, but sometimes you just want to go to the park with your dog to spend time together, not so they can run around with other dogs.

In Hawaii, it is legal to raise a dog to slaughter and eat it, but illegal to take your dog to the park? Bunch of crap.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well aside from the companionship thing, a dog is also good to motivate you to exercise everyday (particularly a bigger dog). I suck at motivating myself to do that (especially during the winter), but because I have a dog that I have to walk everyday and play with everyday, I know I'm at least getting a fair amount of cardio everyday.

In addition, I think the inner sap in people causes them to get dogs. As long as dogs are continually over-bred and there are sad puppy faces in shelters and on dog-rescue websites, people will continue to cave in and open their home to them.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We love our doggies but after these two we might take a break for awhile.

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

In addition, I think the inner sap in people causes them to get dogs. As long as dogs are continually over-bred and there are sad puppy faces in shelters and on dog-rescue websites, people will continue to cave in and open their home to them.
    And therein lies a huge problem. So people adopt the cute little puppy not fully realizing what it takes to be a committed dog owner. Then when puppy cuteness is gone the dog ends up neglected, tied to a tree in the backyard, or surrendered to the shelter because "we just don't have time for it", and ultimately euthanized because who wants to adopt an older dog when there are cute little puppies! Bleh, people suck.

Registered
    May 2004
    I could see this point of view. But my view is that my wife doesn't catch frisbee very well, and she doesn't chase away the missionaries or let potential intruders know that they will be bitten. Plus- sometimes she isn't up for a hike but my dog will always come along.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I could see this point of view. But my view is that my wife doesn't catch frisbee very well, and she doesn't chase away the missionaries or let potential intruders know that they will be bitten. Plus- sometimes she isn't up for a hike but my dog will always come along.
    Valid points.

I guess it just depends on one's lifestyle, needs and familial situation.

It does seem though that owning a dog (moreso than a cat) is part of "The American Dream". I think a lot of people own a dog because it just seems like the thing to do.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think I might want to adjust my career so I either end up running a parks department or working in public health.

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 11:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 7:20 PM
  3. Confession Time, Part III
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 12:58 PM
  4. Replies: 64