Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Confession time, Part II

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I hate dogs and I do not undestand why people keep them in their homes. I hate it when I go to someoneís house and and this big dumb animal jumps on me and licks me. I hate having to act like someoneís dog is cute when its jumping on me. I hate the way they crap on the sidewalk, bark at night, and sniff you, and I hate how people use pit bulls as status symbols in the Ďhood. I not much more fond of cats or other pets either. Donít get me wrong Ė I respect all creatures and wish them no harm. Iíd rather just appreciate them from afar like I would an elephant at the zoo. Iím sure some people think this way about my kids (although they are inarguably cute).

Iíve come to think that Flock of Seagulls were kind of cool in a grand, space-age sort of way.

Sometimes I still crave the chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes from my high school cafeteria.

When I was 19, I swerved on the ice and crashed into a parked police car who was at the scene of another accident. I thought I was going to get a billy club beating, but they just gave me a $70 ticket. It was frustrating because I was a very "good" kid unlike most of my peers who were little alcoholics and potheads.

I have no desire to ever take my family to Disney World. I do not think its my responsibility as a parent to go there.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Oh so many confessions, but too many of them are creepy. Here are a few safe ones, that should not haunt me too much.

I typically only do my dishes once a week.

I have more pint glasses then all other dishes combined.

My middle name is pretty funny.

I like and own shoes that are far more expensive then my position in life dictates.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I I am irrationally addicted to gossip about my former place of employment because I want the boss to be fired!

I helped talk Trail Nazi into moving with her husband last fall and now I feel so guilty. I mean, I want her to be with her husband, but I feel bad because she is not happy there.
    I am still addicted to the gossip about my old workplace too. How sick of us. However, I am more concerned about the director and one of the "prized" principals of getting fired. Why don't the higher ups just see the light like many of us have about these two people?

ZG - Don't worry about feeling guilty about making me move, I will get back to home as soon as I can think of a good way to do so without harming the husband's career. Oh dear, I am becoming extremely evil living in this state with no one to talk to except the dog. He keeps telling me things all the time. He is not as cute as he looks.

I sprayed non-stick cooking spray over someone's windshield and window of someone I didn't like in grad school. It just looked like the morning dew until she tried wiping it off with her windshield wipers. Tee hee.

I like the shows Charmed and Surf Girls (on MTV) and love Jaime Fraser from the Outlander series.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    [B} Iíve come to think that Flock of Seagulls were kind of cool in a grand, space-age sort of way. [/B]
    If you brought your family to Disney World for a holiday, you could probably catch a Flock of Seagulls show since they live in Central Florida and play the venues all of the time, especially, Downtown Disney.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am addicted to Publix icing from their bakery. Can't get enough of it. Yummy.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    I hate dogs and I do not undestand why people keep them in their homes. I hate it when I go to someoneís house and and this big dumb animal jumps on me and licks me.
    But ... look at 'em. C'mon ...

Why the attraction to dogs? I think it's a symbiotic relationship that's hardwired in humans to some extent. Also, they've been selectively bred for tens of thousands of years to reinforce human-like behavoral traits. Consider that scientists have proven dogs actually laugh; it's an irregular, harder panting sound they make when they are at play.

Besides, look at what I come home to ...

How does this relate to confesion time? Well, I do have a soft spot for smaller dogs. Yeah, Porties are big, but I can't help but reach down to pet a little foo-foo dog like a Shi Tzu ot Maltese. There were Poodles around when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for foo-foo dogs.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I am addicted to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and own all of the seasons on DVD. I have already pre-ordered season 4 and am waiting for it to be realeased.

I spend an insane amount of money on shoes and purses.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by mcmplans
    I spend an insane amount of money on shoes and purses.
    Can someone explain that? I knew only one guy who spent a ton of money on clothes and shoes, and this was back in the 1980s. He was a male model-like guy in my dorm. Only straight guy I ever knew who bought clothes from International Male. Loved Miami Vice. Never smiled. Chicks dug him. Strange.

Another confession: I have three working computers at home. My main box, Schadenfreude, is a Windows XP system housed in a shiny aluminum Lian Li case. The experimental box, Zeitgeist, boots up into five different operating systems (Windows XP Professional, Red Hat Linux 9, FreeBSD 5.1, BeOS 5.0 and QNX 6.2). Gemeinschaft is an old NeXTStation Turbo Color. $8,000 new in 1993, but I got it for $100 on eBay.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by SGB
    My parents did not have children until the mid to late 1960's when they were in their late 30's and early 40's.

Consequently my sister and I had quite a different upbringing from our friends, whose parents were typically 15-20 years younger than ours. An example: my wife's grandmother is the age of my parents.
    Similar confession....I'm older (by 3 years) than my step-mother-in-law.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Dan asked for someone to explain
    I spend an insane amount of money on shoes
    Can't explain the purse thing, but my like of shoes is based on a few things.

1) As a kid I had really wide feet and high arches, therefore I wore more expensive shoes as they were the ones that fit my feet. This idea that good shoes were important has carried on since then.

2) My step father went to an exclusive private school that instilled shoes and thier care were important, he subsequently instilled this in me.

3) The Hartt Shoe Factory had great deals on really nice handbuilt shoes before it closed down.

4) Expensive shoes are actually cheaper in the long run. ie the shoes I am wearing today were $400 eight years ago. I have since resoled them 4 times and reheeled them 8 times for a total of about $400 in repairs. Therefore I have spent only $100 per year on this pair of shoes. This pair will need to be replaced shortly, but will still be wearable just not with a suit.

5) Leather soles are really comfortable, once they are broken in.

6) Expensive shoes shine better.

7) Good shoes and shoe stores smell better (leather and cedar)

8) People look at your shoes and judge you, therefore they should be of a good quality and kept in good condition.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I volunteered for the Strategic Planning team at work to make points, and I think strategic planning is a crock.

I am actually only one of three Zoning Goddesses, but I snagged the name on Cyburbia first.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Oh dear, I am becoming extremely evil living in this state with no one to talk to except the dog. He keeps telling me things all the time. He is not as cute as he looks.

Isn't that how Son of Sam got started?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    In the bathroom once in college, I sneezed while taking care of business at a urinal. My head hit the urinal's plumbing, and I knocked myself out cold -- pants wide open.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk

My middle name is pretty funny.
    You can't post this and not let us know what it is. Too unfair!!!

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Only those that attend the CIP conference in Halifax will learn it.

At first glance it seems really funny, then when explained it is still funny, just not as embarassing.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Dan
    Besides, look at what I come home to ...
    Alright, that's cute. If I had to have one it would be a Scottish Terrier type dog - like the dog in monopoly. But I wouldn't have him annoying my guests.

If you brought your family to Disney World for a holiday, you could probably catch a Flock of Seagulls show since they live in Central Florida and play the venues all of the time, especially, Downtown Disney
    That's funny. I thought they were British just because they were SO new wave. Our version of a once famous local band who plays every benefit concert is John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band (On the Dark Side).

I am actually only one of three Zoning Goddesses, but I snagged the name on Cyburbia first
    The Holy Trinity of Zoning?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think I mentioned this fact before, but it wasn't included in "Confession Time Part I"

My wife is the daughter of an ex-boss. And yes, my father-in-law and I get along just fine...now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I am actually only one of three Zoning Goddesses, but I snagged the name on Cyburbia first.
    That's so much more positive than my old nickname in Davis. Most of the planners were women. Someone overheard an irate developer refer to two other plannerettes as "wicked witch of the east and wicked witch of the west". We all thought that was funny in a twisted kind of way... so once I started working on a ton of projects on the south side, I was then deemed wicked witch of the south.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I own 2 gas guzzling SUVs (need the 4wd in the winter here).

I like Starbucks coffee.

I shop at Costco & Home Depot.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by nerudite
    That's so much more positive than my old nickname in Davis. Most of the planners were women. Someone overheard an irate developer refer to two other plannerettes as "wicked witch of the east and wicked witch of the west". We all thought that was funny in a twisted kind of way... so once I started working on a ton of projects on the south side, I was then deemed wicked witch of the south.
    I'm sure our developers wouldn't call me a Goddess. Probably something more along the lines of "loud-mouth little planner". Actually, Trail Nazi, another female planner, and I were trying to come up with a group name, after we read "The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love" (a must read for all women, esp in the South...). At first we thought of Zoning Queens, but Goddess sounded much more elite.

Prior to that, we were members of Zoning Hookers of America. One day, all the women in the office dressed up in fishnets, short skirts, heavy makeup, and new name tags (with names like Xaviera, Bambi, etc) and fawned all over our soon-to-retire boss while he was meeting with his boss.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I plagerized (sp?) in college like it was going out of style
    I admit that I might have "borrowed" some code in my COBOL class. Oh, I do regret it now, every time I have to write code to track inventory or to compute the interest on a deposit.

While I love roughing it, camping and hiking in the back country, after a grueling trek it is awfully nice to check into a nice hotel and eat at a restaurant.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I like starbucks.

I have a few moral objections to diamonds but when I was offered one I snagged it in a heartbeat

When our cats die we're not replacing them.

not really my confession, but James farted in his sleep last night- it was so bad it woke me up.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    On diamonds, here is an ethical way to purchase them. look for the polar bear, it means the diamond was mined in teh NWT and is not a "blood diamond". There are still some minor ethical problems, but at least you know you are not supporting murder and dictators.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    On diamonds, here is an ethical way to purchase them. look for the polar bear, it means the diamond was mined in teh NWT and is not a "blood diamond". There are still some minor ethical problems, but at least you know you are not supporting murder and dictators.

I have one of those!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Im back from vacation, and I missed a lot...

But I have Nerudite beat on the car thing. In 5 years I have never ever vacuumed my car. Despite living in Wisconsin I wash it once a year in March. It has never been waxed except when the annual car wash sprays the stuff on.

I like fried spam with grape jelly.

I just returned a rental car with several hundred dollars in accident damage and they didnt notice and signed off on the intake. This was after I ripped off all of the plastic trim so the whole car matched its "new" front... (whew!)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  3. Confession Time, Part III
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 11:58 AM
  4. Replies: 64