Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Confession time, Part II

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    this is too much fun

I use caller ID at home and rarely answer.

I'm SO late on credit card payments, but I can't afford to pay them until I can pay them off- I'm expecting a settlement from an accident sometime this decade. So I avoid collecters like the plague....sometimes I answer the phone and tell them off. In a sick way, it makes me feel better.

On a related note, I absolutely despise those telemarketers/collectors that begin with a recorded message asking you to hold. I'm sorry, I think that is incredibly rude and anyone that calls me and asks ME to hold before we've even spoken can kiss it.

I love the sun, the outdoors, and I rarely wear sunscreen.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by SGB
    My parents did not have children until the mid to late 1960's when they were in their late 30's and early 40's.

Consequently my sister and I had quite a different upbringing from our friends, whose parents were typically 15-20 years younger than ours. An example: my wife's grandmother is the age of my parents.
    Please tell me I have not ruined my childrens' lives! I didn't marry until I was 36 and we had our first child when I was 39 (my young and beautiful wife is ten years younger than I). Now we've got three fantastic kids, and we probably will have another one (or more?). I've always said that I delayed marriage and children so that I could realize my lifelong dream of financing my children's education with Social Security, but the real reason was that I couldn't find a woman who could stand me any sooner.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    off the subject:

D-Hawk - looks to me that you should be on a most-wanted poster at planned parenthood.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wedding Related confession: I refuse to have a bridal portrait displayed at the reception because if the people I've invited need a legend to figure out who I am they should be there anyway.

Normal confession: I just found out that a ton of care home/child care home are operating without a business license- and just turned my files over the the city auditor per her request.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Wedding Rings - we bought the set at Wal Mart for less than a C-Note for both and neither of us feel the need to upgrade. We each have a plain gold band as society requires and that is about as far as we want to take that foolishness. I think we would rather spend the 3K+ some couples blow on rings on travel instead. It helps to have a wife with common sense. Bless you dear.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Wedding Rings - we bought the set at Wal Mart for less than a C-Note for both and neither of us feel the need to upgrade. We each have a plain gold band as society requires and that is about as far as we want to take that foolishness. I think we would rather spend the 3K+ some couples blow on rings on travel instead. It helps to have a wife with common sense. Bless you dear.
    I don't wear one. No jewelry at all. I can't stand it... I won't even wear a watch.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Please tell me I have not ruined my childrens' lives! I didn't marry until I was 36 and we had our first child when I was 39 (my young and beautiful wife is ten years younger than I). Now we've got three fantastic kids, and we probably will have another one (or more?). I've always said that I delayed marriage and children so that I could realize my lifelong dream of financing my children's education with Social Security, but the real reason was that I couldn't find a woman who could stand me any sooner.
    Not to worry. With the proper type of psychological counseling and the right medical prescriptions, your children will be just fine!

All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm with mastiff, no jewelery not even a watch.

What drives people nuts is that I can usually tell what time it is within 5 minutes of the actual time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    off the subject:

D-Hawk - looks to me that you should be on a most-wanted poster at planned parenthood.
    You'd think they'd want a poster of me, since all of my children were planned, but I don't think that's what PP is all about.

Originally posted by SGB
    Not to worry. With the proper type of psychological counseling and the right medical prescriptions, your children will be just fine!
    Glad to hear it. Actually my children have noticed that my regimen of counseling and prescriptions has helped me quite a bit...oh, wait...that's not what you meant, was it?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Glad to hear it. Actually my children have noticed that my regimen of counseling and prescriptions has helped me quite a bit...oh, wait...that's not what you meant, was it?
    Hey, some for you - some for them. Even better!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    I'm with mastiff, no jewelery not even a watch.

What drives people nuts is that I can usually tell what time it is within 5 minutes of the actual time.
    Me too! About the no watch/telling time skills.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My watch has been stuck on UK time (minus 10 minutes) for the past week and a half. The little knob thingy fell off when I went to reset it...I looked into fixing it, but I think I may just buy a new watch instead.

Registered
    Nov 2002

confessions of a cheap man

I bought my fiance's ring wholesale, which I'm actually proud of, but she doesn't know.

I also bought her a fake Fendi handbag for her birthday.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm just the opposite with watches - I absolutely love them. I own about 15 with plans on acquiring more.

Ditto on the late payments!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am the opposite on payments, I make them on time and usually overpay minimum (ie student loans an extra $50 /month, credit card typically has a low balance).

I could not stand having to worry that someone is going to call about money.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001

Further confessions

I am hopeless at personal financial management.

No late payments (usually), but I've had a few "bookeeping errors" in my checking accounts lately. Wells Fargo loves my fee income.

At least I've cut up almost all my credit cards.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Not a paid endorsement

Originally posted by BKM
    I am hopeless at personal financial management.
    I used to be hopeless, and then I started using Quicken to track home finances.

Now, I'm proud to say, I'm only semi-hopeless. I can even tell you exactly how much I'm overdrawn by on my checking!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Me too! About the no watch/telling time skills.
    I have a general idea of the time, but unless I have a meeting noted in my planner (that I constantly use), it's more or less irrelevant. But then, if I'm in my office, I have the time on my computer and phone... there's a clock in every room of City Hall... If I'm in the field, I have the clock in the car or the time on my cell phone... And if I'm at home? I usually just don't give a ****. Unless there's a hockey game coming on, of course...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2002

last one in is a rotten egg!

I finally bought Sim City 4 last night. Somehow I feel like one of a minority of U.S. planners that didn't purchase this right after it was released.

And to think: my wife feels like I spend too much time on our home computer already.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Somehow I feel like one of a minority of U.S. planners that didn't purchase this right after it was released.
    I don't have Sim City 4, nor 1, 2, 3 (if they even exist), and have never played any of them. (And to think that I didn't think I had anything to confess).

Registered
    Oct 2001

Sim City?

God, I spend enough time at work. I wouldn't go out and buy a computer game that requires me to do more planning

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Sim City?

Originally posted by BKM
    God, I spend enough time at work. I wouldn't go out and buy a computer game that requires me to do more planning
    I second that emotion.

I used to like Sim City but now I enjoy more destructive games like Grand Theft Auto.

I bought SC 3000 and I played it a few times now it sits unused on a shelf.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I also have SC 3000 but my son plays it more than me. And he knows all the commands on how to embezzle $$. Make the game more authentic, don't you think?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was an avid Sim City player years ago. Now I just create small cities so my son can let the disasters loose and watch the destruction.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  3. Confession Time, Part III
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 11:58 AM
  4. Replies: 64