Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New DOT Authority in Florida

Registered
    Feb 2003

New DOT Authority in Florida

FYI

Ecofem, you asked me to post anything interesting I learned at the DCA conference last week, well, try this on;

The 2003 Florida Legislature passed bill:

CS/SB 676, reading, “The provision has the effect of exempting construction on the Florida Highway System from any local regulation such as dredge and fill, stormwater management, concurrency and tree ordinances, and other land development regulations”.

This bill is unsettling to me. Do any other states have legislation like this or is this setting a president of exemption creating a new level of state DOT power?

It is believed that this came out of a dispute over a tree lined street ordinance in a large city here in Florida where the city ‘rightfully’ stopped FDOT from cutting down the trees. Well, it became a heated battle, and FDOT pulled their weight.

Jeb has not yet signed this bill. If you live in Florida and have an opinion on this or you live in another state and have an opinion on this (you could be future presidential voters to Jeb or a least his brother GW), please feel free to write Jeb at jeb@jeb.org and tell him your thoughts.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: New DOT Authority in Florida

Originally posted by Huston
    FYI

Ecofem, you asked me to post anything interesting I learned at the DCA conference last week, well, try this on;

...This bill is unsettling to me.
    No kidding!

The City of Jacksonville's tree ordinance is what triggered it, or so it seems. I think this is just a reawakening of the FDOT beast.... we all forgot how much power it had on the Florida political scene... but now this just reaffirms it.

At least the Department of Community Affairs (for non-Florida folks, this is the primary agency for enforcing Florida's growth management laws) didn't get completely gutted this year..... although folks anticipate that for next year's legislative session.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: Re: New DOT Authority in Florida

Originally posted by ecofem
    The City of Jacksonville's tree ordinance is what triggered it, or so it seems.
    Thats what they say.

Write Jeb, it might help. This line was a last minute addition and not the original intention of the bill.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hadn't seen that one yet. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I know that there is a small town in Central Florida that is fighting DOT from expanding a state road that runs through the downtown because of the "historic" main street qualities. This change in the legislature does not bode well for them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The legislation does not bode well for wetland "mitigation" or a host of other things....

After the Jebster got re-elected I thought he was the root of most of the evil coming out of Tallahassee... It's nice to know the Legislature is getting in on the act, too.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the Florida Legislature will have another special-session where they can hang around, accomplish nothing and scurry around at the last minute in attempt to have some sort of work product to show....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The Governor has called the legislature back for a special session for the puprose of passing legislation reforming medical malpractice insurance.

This has been scheduled for 12:00 pm, Monday, June 16, and will extend through 11:59 pm, Thursday, June 19, 2003.

However, the Governor may extend the call of the session if he chooses, meaning the legislature would also be allowed to hear other bills beyond those relating to medical malpractice. Also, the legislature themselves may extend the call by a 2/3 vote in both Houses.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Dec 2011, 12:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Aug 2009, 6:24 PM
  3. Creating a transit authority
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jan 2008, 12:54 PM
  4. Non-profit housing authority: can it succeed?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Oct 2007, 3:34 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 3:36 PM