Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help!!! private street names

Registered
    Jun 2003

Help!!! private street names

I had a guy call me today upset about a street name. (Or lack there of). He was going into a commercial center that had a traffic light at it. To make a long story short he got into an accident and noticed that the entrance to the mall did not have a name. He contacted our traffic engineers ranting about safety. He then went to other commercial areas in the city and made note of all intersections that had traffic signals and no name. After looking at his list of “dangerous intersection” I noticed that they are all private streets in commercial areas.
    I explained to him that in these cases the drives are private meaning that they are plated and not dedicated to the city. Therefore we cannot name it.

I WAS WONDERING THAT IF ANYONE WORKING IN DIFFERENT CITYS HAS EVER NAMED PRIVATE STREET IN A COMMERCIAL AREA?

IF YOU DO WHERE DO YOU STOP. IS IT JUST THE ENTERANCE OR CAN IT INCLUDE AN INTERIOR DRIVE BETWEEN A MAJOR TENNATE AND PAD SITES?

AND FINALY

IF IT IS NAMED WHO OWNS AND MAINTAINS IT? THE CITY OR THE OWNER OF THE DEVELOPMENT?

ENQUIERING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!
    Thank you
    “I injured a rock… Hospitalized a brick… I’m so bad I make medicine Sick!!!!”
    Muhammad Ali

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll echo the above, but still give you a response. I have seen private streets with names in residential subdivisions, but not in commercial. If it is only a mall, then it is just a driveway.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know I've seen it, possibly Servite Drive north of Brown Deer Road in Milwaukee? I know south of there its a platted street, but to the north its the "ring road" around the former Northridge Mall.

Incidentally, I beleive you can require developers to post regulatory signs (Stop,etc). But I learned the hard way that they are NOT enforceable by the law. I had a broad run one in a mall parking lot and hit me, and the cop could not cite her as it wasn't a municipal sign. Grrr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Mod. Note - orginal thread in "Forum Issues" merged and relocated to T,P&A

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Help!!! private street names

Originally posted by inzane

I WAS WONDERING THAT IF ANYONE WORKING IN DIFFERENT CITYS HAS EVER NAMED PRIVATE STREET IN A COMMERCIAL AREA?
    Well, I suppose the owner of the road could name it - but I don't think the City has the right to name private streets...

IF YOU DO WHERE DO YOU STOP. IS IT JUST THE ENTERANCE OR CAN IT INCLUDE AN INTERIOR DRIVE BETWEEN A MAJOR TENNATE AND PAD SITES?
    Well, considering my answer to the first question - I guess whatever portion the owner wants.

AND FINALY

IF IT IS NAMED WHO OWNS AND MAINTAINS IT? THE CITY OR THE OWNER OF THE DEVELOPMENT?
    If it's a private street, then the owner of the development would maintain it. If it's a public street, then it's the City's. Just like any other street, whether it's named or not.

I used to work in an office building that was on the periphery of a shopping mall. The building had an address on a public street - but that street looked just like one of the internal mall roads - with parking aisle accesses every forty feet, etc. To this day I still don't know who "owned" that road. I think the public section extended to the limit of the government building, and no further.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The loop road around our mall has a street name but I don't think it could be public, since all the parking aisles access it. I haven't seen any other street name signs in commercial developments around here.

In New Orleans, sometimes a street sign will be installed on the public streets intersection with a private driveway, naming the private street. I dont know of any hard-fast rule governing this though and it is not done consistentently throughout the City. You might use the following rule. Will street signs improve traffic safety at high volume intersections? If so, you could require private developers to contribute to the cost of installing the signs adjacent to their development and within the public right-of-way during the development aapproval process.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    thank you for you help.
    “I injured a rock… Hospitalized a brick… I’m so bad I make medicine Sick!!!!”
    Muhammad Ali

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stupid Street Names
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 79
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 8:39 AM
  2. Canadian street names
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 5:41 PM
  3. Street and Community Names