Urban planning community

Poll results: Say it aint So-sa!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guilty! Ban him from Cybur... er... Baseball!

7 30.43%
  • Not Guilty. Give hime this week's $1.3 million and lets move on

5 21.74%
  • I don't care!

11 47.83%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Court of Public Opinion #2 - Sammy Sosa

Registered
    Aug 2001

Court of Public Opinion #2 - Sammy Sosa

Hay-soos Key-Ryst it took too little time to have COPI #2 but what can you say about Sammy?

I say -- honest mistake. If not, cover it up. Baseball needs more heroes. Otherwise it's Yesterdays America's Pasttime

Registered
    Dec 2001
    i say this...out of 77 bats he accidentally chose the one that is corked and regularly used for batting practice and didn't notice the difference in weight?

I think it's a bit more intentional than accidential. He's been struggling terribly since he got beamed in the head. In the last couple series he done nothing but dive after pitches and swing late..his swing is slow.

A corked bat will allow a quicker swing. He used it to get his bat around abit quicker so he could make contact again...for once.

He's guilty, he admitted his fault. he knows the rules. he should be penalized accordingly, then pro sports should move on and try to explain why my white sox suck so bad.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Question about professional ball players:
    I don't care !
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    What did he do? My sports knowledge is only surpassed by my knowledge of French Lit?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sammy broke a bat. The ump looked at it and found cork in it. Bad Sammy. Bad.

It seems a little hard to believe that he did not do it intentionally. At the same time, I do not think he has the record he does because he cheats. It was simply a dumb thing to do, one way or another. With that said, I really don't care. I have not watched a single game since the strike, and never will again.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I refuse to watch baseball- it's too slow. But after hearing they x-rayed the rest of his bats it may have been a mistake, but still... he should get suspended and fined.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2003
    Do they still play baseball in America?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Get rid of him....take away all his 500+ HRs .... banish him from baseball like they did Pete Rose.... !!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    im sorry i say hes guilty, punish him and thanks for another black eye on a sport i cant stand
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Get rid of him....take away all his 500+ HRs .... banish him from baseball like they did Pete Rose.... !!!
    I agree. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Sammy is guiltier than Scott Peterson.

Baseball is dull.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Suspend him for 10 games and get on with it. He isn't the first to do this and he isn't the last that will try. They x-rayed a ton of his bats and found cork in none of them, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. It is likely that he has used a corked bat before, but it is unlikely that he will ever do it again.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I think it was an accident. But then, I really truly could care how this all plays out.

Registered
    May 2003
    I don't follow baseball too closely, but it does just look like a stupid mistake to me. He's had other bats break with no cork, and none of the other bats he had with him have cork in them. He should be fined and suspended and then get on with it.

Also, he should be allowed to play in the upcoming Yankees game. It's not a season game, and our chances are slim enough as it is. If we beat New York though, especially if Sosa plays a big part (maybe by hitting a grand slam winning the game or something ), that'd be worth decades of gloating.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Its not like in a real sport where drug use and cheating are generally excepted (i.e.Greg Lemond with EPO, Lance with oxyglobin, Jan Ullrich with E and speed....)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Baseball will "investigate" the cork incident over the weekend and will suspend Sammy after the Yankee's series. It is way to big of a series for them to suspend him.

I hate the Cubs and the Yankees, so I could care less.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My God, are you a bunch of communists? Does NOBODY follow baseball anymore.

Just kidding. I am a militant atheist towards the great religion of pro sports. But, he probably knew.

The only sport that I follow religiously is football, College and Pro.

Baseball and Basketball are just filler.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I say he's guilty and he knew. This was just stupid on Sosa's part with a home-run record he shouldn't have had a corked bat within 100 yards of his person. This will only call into question many of his accomplishments. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It could be worse however. At least he's not a pumped-up steroid freak. Oh wait... that's the rest of the MLB players.

Originally posted by biscuit
    It could be worse however. At least he's not a pumped-up steroid freak. Oh wait... that's the rest of the MLB players.
    Um...did you see Sammy when he was with the White Sox? He was scrawny. I would say with 90% certantity that Mr Sosa has used steroids.

Last year Sports Illustrated's Rick Rielly asked Sammy to get tested and he flipped out. Link to article

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002

AP news update

The AP is reporting that Sosa has been given an 8 game suspension. He is, of course, appealing.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Guilty? Yes.
    Knowingly guilty? Probably so.

What seems to be lost is that most people will tell you corking hurts your hitting. If you've lost some bat speed, use a lighter bat -- that's a novel concept.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jul 2013, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Feb 2004, 6:51 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 02 Jul 2003, 10:36 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Jun 2003, 6:14 PM
  5. Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Jun 2003, 9:38 AM