Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sustainable Economic Development RFP

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sustainable Economic Development RFP

HELP! Our community is planning to issue a Request for Proposals for consulting services to prepare an Economic Development Strategic Plan. The primary objective is to define the market and gauge demand / absorption rates of a potential business park.

We are a large community (36 sq miles) on the urbanizing fringe of a metro area, and about 1/3 urbanized already. We recently adopted a Conservation Plan. In order to avoid implementation conflicts, I want to introduce Sustainable Development initiatives to the Economic Development Strategic Plan.

I am having some difficulty writing the scope of services, and I have found very few resources... Does anyone have any suggestions??

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'd contact Peter Lowitt, AICP - The chair of APA's Economic Development Division, and Land Use Administrator for the Devens Enterprise Commission in Massachusetts. He was instrumental in developing an Ecological Industrial Park here in Londonderry before he left for Devens. He continues to work on sustainable economic development initiatives at Devens.

His e-mail is peterlowitt@devensec.com

Good Luck!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 1997
    I would suggest contacting the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Minnesota planning has a set of sustainable development model ordinances, including one for economic development. The International Economic Development Council (formerly AEDC) adopted a (weak) smart growth position about a year ago. RMI is a good choice.

Registered
    Aug 2001

THANKS!

Well we shipped out the RFP's. Thanks to all that helped me through the writers block!

You can see the RFP at

www.ci.muskego.wi.us/planning/SEDSRFP.pdf

and I'll be sure to post the URL of the final Plan you all to enjoy!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 2:58 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Aug 2007, 8:27 AM