Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What auto dominated society?

Registered
    Nov 2002

What auto dominated society?

From the Associated Press:

Baptist church offers drive-in service

YORK, Pa. (AP) - Perhaps it shouldn't come as a surprise in a nation of motorists, but Temple Baptist Church in York Township has been offering a drive-in worship service.

Much like a drive-in movie, congregants sit in the cars in the church parking lot and listen to the service on a low-power radio broadcast. The signal cannot be heard beyond the lot.

The goal is to draw people who have never been to church.

"You could come in your housecoat if you wanted to," said the Rev. Bob Hylton, the interim pastor. "It provides the anonymity that some folks may be looking for."

Moderator note:
    Maister: moved ancient thread from Transportation planning forum to FAC due to the content/intent
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Sep 2009 at 3:38 PM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Why drive to "church" to do that?

Why not just stay home and watch Jack Van Impe or Ernest Angely (is he still around?) from the comfort of your couch?

Although, to be honest, one of the reasons I don't join the Uniterian Church in Davis is because I am somewhat antisocial/shy. So, the pastor has a point, there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it gets boring, you could make out in your car during the service.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ummmm... doesn't this defeat the purpose of actually being *in church*. I'm the local heathen, so I couldn't say... but it seems like there is some type of sanctity or importance to being in the building and attending as a group. I guess on the plus side, you could bring snacks and drinks. It would also be ideal if you have a newborn and you don't want to expose them to the group germs or expose the group to wailing child syndrome. But it still seems to miss the point of church altogether.

Edit: I just noticed it's a Baptist church. I wonder if anyone will be embarassed about singing in the car?

Registered
    May 2003
    It would also be ideal if you have a newborn and you don't want to expose them to the group germs
    Isn't that the whol freakin' point of childhood? Christ, my parents have pictures of me eating dirt as a toddler. I think the whole germ obsession is yet another bizzare suburban complex. I seem to recall an article a bit ago about children growing up in sterile, controlled suburban environments having much higher asthma rates because thier immune systems were underdeveloped.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Isn't that the whol freakin' point of childhood? Christ, my parents have pictures of me eating dirt as a toddler. I think the whole germ obsession is yet another bizzare suburban complex. I seem to recall an article a bit ago about children growing up in sterile, controlled suburban environments having much higher asthma rates because thier immune systems were underdeveloped.
    Hehehe... Hell if I know! I've only been around kids for a year, and they are all in grade school. But when my sister had her kids, they told her not to take the newborns to social functions with lots of people for a few months. I don't know if there were special circumstances for that though.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    At my aunt’ s lake house in northern Indiana there is a church with drive up boat service. It is kind of cool though; you can sit on your boat and drink coffee while the sermon in over a loud speaker.

My cousin actually got married there, and afterwards they drove off in the boat!

Indiana is full I that good stuff, I like to visit.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by nerudite
    I guess on the plus side, you could bring snacks and drinks. It would also be ideal if you have a newborn and you don't want to expose them to the group germs or expose the group to wailing child syndrome. But it still seems to miss the point of church altogether.
    I can see it now Mom and Dad sitting up front in their H2 while they each talk to different people on their cell phones. Meanwhile the kiddos are in the back eating junk food and watching a DVD on their own individual screens...

As for the kiddos being exposed to germs, isn't that a good thing. I can still remember being herded over to a neighbor's house so that we could get exposed to chicken pox to get it over with and go through it as a child as opposed to later in adulthood.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    So its our god-given right to drive everywhere..So churches now offer drive in service..sounds like bad religion...sounds like the devil is in the details to me...lets drive all over...Nah..I rather walk..You think that the church that offers drive in service would instead promote a new way of thinking...instead of one commonly accepted and one that causes harm to our environment, both socially and ecologically. Thats right parishioners lets keep the SUV's a rolling out and while we are at it lets promote service from the TVs in the back seats of these SUV's for our young ones!!!! God Bless America!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    hahaha - did you just cite Bad Religion?

yeah, i think it's just encouraging lazy, anti-social tendencies. It's amazing how many people think that social isolation is a good think.

C'mon, by attending "service" in your car you can be your own congregation. It's taking the whole rugged individualism think to it's logical conclusion.

In a nation of (almost) 300 million it is a joke at best, but on the whole just scary and dangerous.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Jeeez...How much worse can things get? I agree that this just enforces lazy, ani-social behavior. Another problem I have with drive through services is that it isn't actually church. I thought the whole purpose of going to church was to worship with other believers. How is sitting in your car in your bathrobe any different from sitting on your couch in your boxers? You might as well stay home.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Holy Smoke!

But what about higher car emissions associated with "drive-through" churches - people won't faint or feel bad from the stinky smell of the automobile exhaust pipes right in front of them (or good - they might perceive their headaches as some sign from heaven). Oh, they can just keep the A/C on, and their windows locked....OK, maybe I would like to experience it then.. Come to think about it, I have not experienced any "drive-through" shootings, I mean drivings in my life... I should go fro a nice drive-through drive on a local driveroad after I get out of my driveway.... MacDonalds or church in York, one way or the other, the experience must be fatteing (with all that junk food - ho-how!).
    Bring on the Lard (in fries and burgers), bring on the Mass.

But wait a second, weekend trips to the Mall in private automobiles don't counr as drive-throughs anymore?
    What's going on? This begs for an expalnation!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw this old thread and just had to bump it. Didn't someone comment on Cyburbia about mobile/tent revival ministries recently? I recall seeing a 'drive-in' ministry Down South one time. Thing is, I don't think it was a new thing (and this was back in the 1980's). I believe they have been around as far back as the 1950's, or possibly even earlier. Anyone else ever see one, have them aound their community or even been to one?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The Catholics would never go for the drive-in church idea.

How could they pass the collection plate? The priest expects those Lincolns. So what would they do -- Put the ushers on roller skates and let them go from car to car?

What about the obligatory "sign of peace" where you are supposed to shake hands with the people next to you? What are you supposed to do? Toot your horn or maybe just wave (being sure to use all the fingers)?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 1998
    You are correct, Maister. Religious programs at drive in theaters is not new. I recall them in the 60s. The ones I recall were not organized churches; more like revivals. Oh, and buckets were passed around by God-squad teens for donations.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    In Vegas they have drive-thru wedding chapels, so why not drive-in worship?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Guilt society vs shame society
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 29 Dec 2012, 6:39 PM
  2. What auto dominated society?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 01 Sep 2009, 3:35 PM
  3. Replies: 2