Urban planning community

Poll results: Is humanity screwed?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm suprised we go this far. It is just a matter of time now.

2 11.11%
  • I agree with the old dude 50/50 at best.

2 11.11%
  • Manafest Destiny - To the Stars and Beyond! (Cancer of the Universe Theory)

0 0%
  • Democrat Answer: No matter how it goes down women and minorities will suffer the most.

0 0%
  • Republican Answer: Screw you I have a bomb shelter. Others like me will repopulate the earth without all you riffraff.

1 5.56%
  • Libertarian Answer: Bring it on!

1 5.56%
  • NY Times Answer - There are no threats to humanity and the President has lied about them from the start.

0 0%
  • Fox News Answer - We need to go after these threats no matter if they exist or not. Many will be killed in the process.

0 0%
  • My therapist says I need to think happy thoughts.

1 5.56%
  • God did it once and have you seen Christine Aguilera? That has to be a sign the end is near!

0 0%
  • Dude, we are all in a computer simulation. We are like batteries for the machines already.

0 0%
  • John Connor will lead a revolt and stop the machines.

3 16.67%
  • Huh? I still don't get it.

0 0%
  • With a wimper, not a bang.

2 11.11%
  • I don't care as long as it happens after I die.

3 16.67%
  • I don't care, and you're just wacked dude. Turn off the SciFi Channel and put down the dube.

3 16.67%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does it even matter, all this planning?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Does it even matter, all this planning?

This guy says we're screwed?
    Please read the article and opine.
    So what do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...s_dc&printer=1

Registered
    May 2003
    Another interesting thesis about what could happen to Europe and Japan. (And the United States if we stop importing young people).

SPENGLER

Why Europe chooses extinction
    By Spengler

Demographics is destiny. Never in recorded history have prosperous and peaceful nations chosen to disappear from the face of the earth. Yet that is what the Europeans have chosen to do. Back in 1348 Europe suffered the Black Death, a combination of bubonic plague and likely a form of mad cow disease, observes American Enterprise Institute scholar Ben Wattenberg. "The plague reduced the estimated European population by about a third. In the next 50 years, Europe's population will relive - in slow motion - that plague demography, losing about a fifth of its population by 2050 and more as the decades roll on."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If this guy didn't have a PhD, he'd prolly be on some street corner with a sandwich board over his head. What is the benefit of this type of speculation?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Many bad things will probably happen to many people, but we need to be prepared in case they DONíT.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Do we get to choose who goes first?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

WHY

I have to ask, what thoughts make a person like this looking into such a thing? Is he lonely and needs the attention. Everything we do, could kill us. But instead of thinking about death, I live life.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Do we get to choose who goes first?
    I've already started making a list.

It's true that some, if not all, of these disasters will befall us at one point or another in the future but I don't see the point of worrying or dwelling on it. All we can do is just be good Boy Scouts and be prepared - Time to begin stockpiling bourbon supplies.

Rantzzz

It's Doob with a capital d, double O, man.

particle accelerators
    This is the way I'd like to go. The science geeks at Chicago with their accelerator just blowing a hole the size of the freaking universe, we all get sucked into another dimension and well it just sounds cool to me.

If we're going down it's going to be with a nuke and I think that won't bring the US down. Unlike other countries the US OF A will have a better response to being nuked with say one nuke than other countries will. First, I think military planners are keen to the idea that if a N. Korea or a Muslim nuke lands on American soil -we don't need to respond w/nukes. Why? We can carpet bomb the F*ck out of any country and whole regions for months and years-and we would! WW2 style only bigger and better. Decimate the place and take it over minus the radiation. Yup the bomb factories in this country would be raging with production. and we would have another state. Got to think long term people.

ok nano bot eating us up get over it. I'm a totally pumped on this technology but, it's so far off and the culture will have evolved by that time. Par instance, we will be inhabiting other planets and have used a nuclear powered rocket in space to achieve warp speed sending an alien ambassador to welcome us to the federation of planets.

God, yes the almighty as far as I can tell, likes to watch all the sh*t fall where it may and don't get me wrong I like it like that -no interventions please, save a few mother mary crying statues and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by The Irish One; 10 Jun 2003 at 11:31 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by The Irish one
    It's Doob with a capital d, man.
    In your neck of the woods, that may be true. Here our stoners use a different dictionary.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Huston
    Many bad things will probably happen to many people, but we need to be prepared in case they DONíT.
    Plus, planning is a useful tool for social organization in the meantime!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    Plus, planning is a useful tool for social organization in the meantime!
    Ah yes, the politics of fear. God, how I wish I were in a position of power right now! <maniacal laughter>

In your neck of the woods, that may be true. Here our stoners use a different dictionary.
    I'm gonna have a talk with my boyz in southern Humboldt/ Mendocino about this problem. We'll get it fixed.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just hope I'm sleeping when it all happens.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I can't believe that people still believe the fairy tale of global warming! Of course it could happen, but it isn't happening now, at least not in an un-natural way (the climate changes that are occurring are because of natural temperature fluctuations)

The most probable ELE is an asteroid crashing, just like dinosaurs....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    I can't believe that people still believe the fairy tale of global warming! Of course it could happen, but it isn't happening now, at least not in an un-natural way (the climate changes that are occurring are because of natural temperature fluctuations)

You are close in that statement, but what is closer is to say that the natural flucuations are great enough that no one can say if the warming is natural or not. The system is just too complicated with too much variation in too many variables to make any conclusions. IMHO

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    You are close in that statement, but what is closer is to say that the natural flucuations are great enough that no one can say if the warming is natural or not. The system is just too complicated with too much variation in too many variables to make any conclusions. IMHO
    Hmm well, ok.. But anyways I belive we're closer to a Glaciation than to a warm period, I mean, in the Medieval Warm Era (around the 1300) there were VINEYARDS in London, and it's a proven fact that the MWE was warmer than now, so the Earth is chilling down, and the rise of the temperature now isn't very important, since in the late 1800 until around 1940 the temperature was going down, now it goes up, then down....It's much more logical than the linear temperature rise that I see in charts...

We can end up like mars, if we destroy the Amazon rainforest.... which is very important for climate control and CO2 control.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 8:41 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 28 Nov 2011, 12:53 PM
  3. Replies: 105
    Last post: 10 Apr 2008, 11:37 AM
  4. Not a laughing matter, or is it?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Apr 2004, 10:04 PM