Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: is crime on the rise?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    If we outlawed all guns, and legalized all drugs, we solve alot of these crime problems.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Here is the EG way of fighting crime: http://www.local6.com/news/2272794/detail.html

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    If we outlawed all guns, and legalized all drugs, we solve alot of these crime problems.
    I think this is the direction Canada is moving in...

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by EG
    Here is the EG way of fighting crime: http://www.local6.com/news/2272794/detail.html
    I..can't....resist....... Looks like Peter had balls!

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    long shot:
    It takes a certain personality to commit a serious crime. So, what if, those places that have high crime rates (stereotypically and statistically) attract psychos? There wouldn't be crime if the personality to do it wasn't there right? So there must be something about [Detroit/New Orleans] that draws those type of people?

Or:
    Crime isn't on the rise, but the media depicions of crime are. I mean, watch TV on any given night, how many shows are about "Crime and Punishment", "Law and Order", "Cops"?? Then there's the news to boot! I swear, every night on the news in St. Louis there is a body found or a murder of some kind being investigated. I'm personally tired of hearing about it.

The Culture of Fear is a really good book on this matter. Offers interesting insight.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Oh that's very helpful ... and mature.

The point was that he agreed that it gave a resonable number. At any rate, even if the actual probability is double my number, that's still only a 3.2% chance in a lifetime. My point was that murder should not be something people should be worried about, even living in a "high crime" city, it's just very likely if you're not participating in risky activities. I wanted to show that people shouldn't worry so much about the crime. I think that that calculation does that.
    This just proves to me that statistics can be very subjective - they are manipulated to indicate what you people to know.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2003
    Crime was actually declining during much of the 90s (when those shows got popular). I remember reading an article about a survey asking people if crime was on the rise or decline. I read it a few years ago, so I can't remember the details, but the crux was that the majority of people believed that crime was on the rise. When told that crime was actually in a significant decline, and asked if they felt safer, most responded "no."

The last answer was actually a reasonable one, even if the murder rate halved in Chicago it'd only change by a few hundredths of a percent of the population, so a significant drop in the murder rate would affect my chance of getting murdered very slightly. Crime rates just aren't high enough in this country to be a serious danger to the average person.

As far as ending the drug war, yeah, that would be a good thing to do. Probably the most effective thing to do if you're serious about curbing crime. I don't really see how outlawing guns would help though, seems to me it'd just fuel a new black market.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by giff57
    I..can't....resist....... Looks like Peter had balls!
    Sweet. I knew there was a reason to own one of those.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    yes, Peter justified/deserves his hummer

(pun intended)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I think this is the direction Canada is moving in...
    I think they need to start working on machetes up here. It seems like there are more limbs being lopped off than people being shot.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    I don't really see how outlawing guns would help though, seems to me it'd just fuel a new black market.

But think about the children! THE CHILDREN!

If we stop innundating the poor inner cities with guns we wouldn't have so much crime? If we didn't have guns, there wouldn't be any way for people to kill each other or anything for 50 Cent to rap about.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by nerudite
    I think they need to start working on machetes up here. It seems like there are more limbs being lopped off than people being shot.
    I'm only aware of this case lately, gruesome enough as it is.

This thread got me thinking about crime in Toronto, and ya know - I don't think we've had a murder here for a few weeks now. Usually average just over one per week, and most are either domestic disputes or gang-related.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Assuming your risk of getting murdered is 2%, you also need to factor other crimes into quality of life. I'm sure your chances of getting assaulted, shot at (and surviving), mugged, raped, burglarized, having your car stolen, or having your property damaged, all combine to some pretty high statistics. Whatever that number is it only applies to one member of a household. Each member of your family has the same risk (in theory).

I do agree that people are a little crime crazed. But many of the same people who's goal in life is to be far away from any crime LOVE crime. They love gangster movies, CSI Miami, and Katie Couric victim interviews, and the kids they want to protect listen to gangsta rap. I'm more nervous about getting in a fatal car accident then getting murdered. Its amazing how we've all learned to accept the risk associated with driving for greater mobility.

Registered
    Oct 2001

If we stop innundating the poor inner cities with guns we wouldn't have so much crime? If we didn't have guns, there wouldn't be any way for people to kill each other or anything for 50 Cent to rap about.
    Great Idea, if we didn't have guns Ashcroft would just decide which citizen's disappeared. And that would be better for everyone. We can trust our government. They have always been so truthful.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I'm only aware of this case lately, gruesome enough as it is.
    We've had a number of machete incidents in the last year. The Toronto one made national news though. Just on Sunday there was a machete fight in front of the Sidetrack in downtown Edmonton. Last summer some guy got his arm lopped off while he was riding his motorcycle because some dufus on the sidewalk decided he wanted to see if he can take off someone's limbs randomly. There have been about half a dozen incidents I can think of in the past year... it freaks me out.

Registered
    Aug 2001

question

In terms of crimes per 1,000 people, arent you less likely to die froma violent crime in the burbs, but more likely to die in an auto related accident? I thought I read that somewhere that overall probability of death by crime + accident combined is higher in suburban areas than urban areas.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: question

Originally posted by Chet
    In terms of crimes per 1,000 people, arent you less likely to die froma violent crime in the burbs, but more likely to die in an auto related accident? I thought I read that somewhere that overall probability of death by crime + accident combined is higher in suburban areas than urban areas.
    It seems that a Planning Magazine article from a couple of years ago mentioned a study that said 1) the murder rate decreases according to distance from metro area center, and 2) the vehicle accident death rate increases according to distance from metro area center. The point of the article was that vehicle accident death rates in far-out suburban areas were comparable to, if not higher than, murder rates in inner city neighborhoods.

If you want to know when the article was published or who wrote it, I'd have to go through a stack of mags in the basement.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: question

Originally posted by pete-rock
    If you want to know when the article was published or who wrote it, I'd have to go through a stack of mags in the basement.
    Nah, not necessary. Just having someone else remember seeing that is good enough for me. I mean, it was in print so it must be true, right?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Planderella
    This just proves to me that statistics can be very subjective - they are manipulated to indicate what you people to know.
    That kid said absolutely nothing but that he disagreed. He didn't even come close to making a point.

I think the point jordanb was trying to make is that murders aren't at all random with most being either domestic or gang/drug related. Even assuming murders were completely random you still have a ridiculously small chance of being the victim of one.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by jresta
    That kid said absolutely nothing but that he disagreed. He didn't even come close to making a point.

I think the point jordanb was trying to make is that murders aren't at all random with most being either domestic or gang/drug related. Even assuming murders were completely random you still have a ridiculously small chance of being the victim of one.
    Shouldn't iq level have something to do with your chances as well?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Did anyone see "Bowling for Columbine" by Michael Moore? Before the movie, I probably would've been slightly in favor of some gun restrictions as a tool to reduce crime. Afterwards, I see it doesn't matter. The US is a semi-violent society (moreso than western Europe; much less so than present-day Rwanda or Congo or Iraq), and eliminating guns wouldn't change a thing. 50 Cent would rap about cuttin' someone.

Only some great "social enlightenment" is gonna reduce violent crime in this country. And who believes that will happen? I now just believe that we are who we are, and I just need to get used to it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    If we didn't have guns, there wouldn't be any way for people to kill each other or anything for 50 Cent to rap about.
    Hey, he raps about being in the club, not into making love, drinking bacardi, and come give him a hug!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    ...and eliminating guns wouldn't change a thing. 50 Cent would rap about cuttin' someone...
    I was at a beach in the keys last weekend, swimming and drinking beers, as you do, and there was a family reunion type group having a pick-nick off their boats (lots of small children). The group was playing music (mostly beachey stuff) and then it switched to 50 Cent. I enjoyed it at the time (I like the songs), but later thought about if it was wrong for parents and children (small children) to listen to music about this (drugs, sex, violence) together making it socially okay to the children.

Don’t get me wrong, I normally consider myself very liberal socially, but I think a moral line was crossed. Even as a kid I would listen to “controversial” music, but not with my dad or grampa, that would of been weird.

What is your alls take on this?

PS. Shortly after (within 5 minute) the cops came and told them to turn it down/off. Even though I saw wrong, I definitely was NOT on the cops side of that. The family got in a big fight with the ‘Condo Commandos’ on the beach and even ended up leaving the “public” water/area by the beach.

What is your alls take on that?

Mod. Maybe this should be a new thread?
    Last edited by H; 17 Jun 2003 at 1:45 PM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by Huston

Mod. Maybe this should be a new thread?
    I'll take a stab at it. See the FAC.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Planderella
    I'll take a stab at it. See the FAC.
    Was the pun intentional?