Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Codes Enforcement

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Codes Enforcement

We have having a big problem with our codes enforcement. Part of it comes from the codes people just not getting out there, but most of it is because of our code regulations. Specifically for weeds, trash, and other clean issues We do not have a regular municipal trash haler, and the 81,000+ people are “required” to get there own. Well, because they would have to pay separately, it does not get done. Does anyone have any ideas on how to “Clean” up a dense city with the use of strategic code plans? One idea we are kicking around is with our new neighborhood design inactive. Our office is going to target neighborhoods with funding, and working with community groups to improve neighborhoods. Also, I know that we face challenges being a dense, built city, but any suggestions on how others have addressed this issue would be great.

Thanks for you help
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

I would try and get your elected officials to enact a “Code Compliance” program whereby all properties must be brought into compliance with all City building, fire, trash, weed, zoning, and sign ordinances before they are sold or before they can add on to their building or add a new tenant. Obviously they don’t need to meet setbacks, height, bulk, etc. requirements if they are legal non-conforming, but they have to do things like fix any exterior problems ranging anywhere from removing junk in the yard to repainting the house. The seller is responsible for all of this unless they buyer signs off on it. Then the buyer has 60 days from closing. to do all of the repairs. We have one where I work and it is a great (albeit slow) way to ensure that neighborhoods don’t fall into disrepair.

I would also push for a complaint-based property maintenance program and publish the procedures regularly (mailing them with the tax bill is a good idea). Encourage neighbors to make anonymous complaints if they see junked vehicles, shingles falling off roofs, broken windows, etc. Then notify the offending property owners and give them 60 days to fix it up or risk going to municipal court.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Do you have a web site, or any other information on your program.

That is exactly what I was thinking about. Thank you for your help.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We've adopted the 2000 International Property Maintenance Code. Here's a website that has a link to it's table of contents. It discusses weeds, trash, etc.

Hope it helps!

Here is a link to the ordinance (it is 15-5 and 15-8)

http://www.glendale-wi.org/ordinances/title15.pdf
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003

Rented

Can anyone tell me if any third class cities have anything in there codes ordinance about having rental units inspected every time they change renter? I imagine there would be a major change over in many of the cities?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Rented

Originally posted by michaelskis
    Can anyone tell me if any third class cities have anything in there codes ordinance about having rental units inspected every time they change renter? I imagine there would be a major change over in many of the cities?
    give a call to Peoria Illinois. When i worked there they claimed to have a pretty intense slum.. i mean rental inspection program.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Rented

Originally posted by michaelskis
    The Village of Potsdam, NY (home to two universities) has a rental inspection program that requires units to be re-certified as code compliant every 3 years.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 11:34 AM
  2. Codes enforcement software
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 9:37 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 12:36 AM
  4. Replies: 2